+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, HTML Files Redirecting to Home Page in Technical; Hello, Think this is the correct place for this to go as I believe it to be an issue with ...

Thank Post

HTML Files Redirecting to Home Page

Hello,

Think this is the correct place for this to go as I believe it to be an issue with permissions or a gpo.

We have a few user types, students, staff and system admins. When a student user goes to open a .html file (or any similar, .htm ect) the page, instead of loading, just redirects the browser to the users home page.

I have done some testing, removed all policies from the user and the issue still remains, so I believe this to be a problem with the file server permissions for the user area. I have checked that and everything matches the staff users file permissions from the root of the server to the file location. Any user above student can open a .html file with out any issues. It just seems to be with the student accounts.

Would anyone have any idea what the cause of this could be, Im running out of ideas here?!

Thanks,
    Joe

Thank Post
    Is this only when double clicking the file? Can they open it via IE/word/etc etc?

Steve

Thank Post
    @Steve21
    I am unsure to this as we have blocked users from using right click or opening the file in IE through the file -> open menu, so all they have is to double click or use the open with drop down at the top of the windows explorer window. Using either of those methods both redirect the browser to the users default home page before anything.

Joe
    Last edited by jralph; 7th December 2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Made some things a little clearer

Thank Post
    Are you sure that isn't the issue? I thought when you click on a .html it runs it as iexplore "filename", which would be the same open with?

Again can you not type the path to it, in the URL box on IE? At least that way you can see if it's actually file permissions, or just opening wrongly.

Steve

Thank Post
    Just had a check. When typing in the file path (via unc path or through the users mapped drive) both return the same error:
    Going to the users drive, N:\Work\username\test.html returns access denied.
    Going to the server path, \\server\work\username\test.html also returns access denied.

I have also tried opening internet explorer, then loading the file so that it runs in an open tab, just to make sure that it isint a issue with IE starting up.

Checking the permissions on the folders they are set up the exact same as the staff permissions, yet staff can create and open html files without an issue.

Joe

Thank Post
    Still having issues with this problem. I've just been over the server shares and permissions again and they seem right. Student permissions match the staff ones, just students are unable to run .html and staff are. Checked policies and have removed a test student and staff user out of all policies and still having the issue.

Anyone got any ideas at all?

Thank Post
    After some more testing, it seems the problem is intermittent. On some computers, the .html file opens without any problems, on others (most of them) it causes this problem.

Seems to be a per-computer issue, or a profile issue if the profile is not downloading to the machine correctly when the user logs on.

Will keep this updated if I find anything, any help on the matter is also appreciated.

Thank Post
    Just managed to solve the issue. Was an odd one.
    It seems that the way we have our shares setup made a big difference.
    Staff are stored: \\server\share\username
    Students are stored: \\server\share\year\username
    It seems that adding the "year" part in was stopping users access the area through a UNC path correctly (Everything worked when mapping the drive to N:\)

I had to give students read permissions to the folder above their username, doing this seem'd to fix the issue. Security is still working correctly as students are only able to access their own area and not view other peoples.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread