+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Service Startup Order in Technical; We're having some problems (not serious ones, but problems nonetheless) caused by people booting computers and immediately logging in to ...
    Thank Post

Service Startup Order

We're having some problems (not serious ones, but problems nonetheless) caused by people booting computers and immediately logging in to them, as they are able to start working before the Impero client service can start. Does anyone know of a way that I can prioritise the order in which services start, or perhaps make the logon service dependent on the Impero one? Any undesirable impact of doing either of these things?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    We're having some problems (not serious ones, but problems nonetheless) caused by people booting computers and immediately logging in to them, as they are able to start working before the Impero client service can start. Does anyone know of a way that I can prioritise the order in which services start, or perhaps make the logon service dependent on the Impero one? Any undesirable impact of doing either of these things?
    what is the impero service to to start as? Automatic? or Automatic (delayed)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    You can define dependencies by adding a REG_MULTI_SZ value called DependOnService to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\<servicename> and then adding the name(s) of the service you want to depend on (the internal name, not display name).

That said, I'm not sure I'd want to make the logon service dependent on a third-party service. If Impero malfunctioned you would likely be locked out of the local admin account too.

What does Impero support have to say about the issue?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    what is the impero service to to start as? Automatic? or Automatic (delayed)
    Automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    That said, I'm not sure I'd want to make the logon service dependent on a third-party service. If Impero malfunctioned you would likely be locked out of the local admin account too.
    I was worried about that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    What does Impero support have to say about the issue?
    They suggested either having less applications in the startup so Impero starts quicker, but we don't have much else in startup (just WSUS checks, AV updates, etc) or a script which forces IE to close until such point as the service is running (not quite sure how that would work though, so have asked them to clarify).

Thank Post
    Have you poked around with Xperf to see if anything's holding up Impero?

The PFE blog has a good intro and methodology series: Browse by Tags - Ask Premier Field Engineering (PFE) Platforms - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    They suggested either having less applications in the startup so Impero starts quicker, but we don't have much else in startup (just WSUS checks, AV updates, etc) or a script which forces IE to close until such point as the service is running (not quite sure how that would work though, so have asked them to clarify).
    I'm glad we don't use Impero. I'd have had some choice words for anyone I'd paid money to giving me such a rubbish suggestion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Automatic.

I was worried about that, too.

Hi

I just seen this but looking at the ticket I see Mike support manager has picked this up. Just to clarify the issue you had has been passed up to little old me in terms of looking from a development point of view you are right it should when injection starts read in the current windows and add them to the logs.

As Mike pointed out in his post on your ticket I think what original support engineer forgot to post when he was suggesting using script etc was this was temporary workaround until could be looked at by development teams etc.

I will make sure that Mike has discusses with his team just to make sure that in future when posting updates things are a bit clearer.

I know Mike left his contact details on the ticket and you obviously have mine so feel free to get in touch etc.

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi

I just seen this but looking at the ticket I see Mike support manager has picked this up. Just to clarify the issue you had has been passed up to little old me in terms of looking from a development point of view. You are right it should when injection starts read in the current windows and add them to the logs.

As Mike pointed out in his post on your ticket I think what the original support engineer forgot to post when he was suggesting using script etc was this was temporary workaround until could be looked at by development teams etc.

I will make sure that Mike has discussions with his team just to make sure that in the future when posting updates things are a bit clearer.

I know Mike left his contact details on the ticket and you obviously have mine so feel free to get in touch etc.

Russell

Thank Post
    Thanks Russell. Yes, Mike has indeed now picked this up, although I posted this on here before he did that. The reason I came here was for advice on another alternative, since (as AngryTechnician also remarked) I wasn't entirely happy with the first line person's response.

I look forward to an update regarding which future release will contain the fix for this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Russell. Yes, Mike has indeed now picked this up, although I posted this on here before he did that. The reason I came here was for advice on another alternative, since (as AngryTechnician also remarked) I wasn't entirely happy with the first line person's response.

I look forward to an update regarding which future release will contain the fix for this.
    Mike hadn't seen this but have made him aware of the post. As can see Mike as part of his routines within his department over looks tickets and saw it hence reason he posted on it.

Anyway please accept my apologies etc any problems please do contact Mike or myself.

Russell

Thank Post
    Russell - you (hopefully) have mail. I guessed at your address, assuming it is the same format as the other Impero addresses I already have...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread