+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Wallpaper issues in Technical; Right, ive got an ongoing saga in other threads with GPP 's. ( http://www.edugeek.net/forums/window...s-win-7-a.html & http://www.edugeek.net/forums/window...gpps-dont.html ) I thought id ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Wallpaper issues

Right, ive got an ongoing saga in other threads with GPP's. (Tidying up My docs on Win 7 & http://www.edugeek.net/forums/window...gpps-dont.html)

I thought id cracked this one as it suddenly started working but stopped after a reboot.

We've used BGInfo for all our machines when we were XP but now we're mixed its causing me issues like it has many others. On my win7 machine the image flicks on but soon returns to the old version.

The Win7 machines are still using an old version of our student wallpaper (one that was there when image captured i think). I've tried both a registry edit and this Fred's Blog – Fr3d.org – Using Group Policy Preferences to control multiple BGinfo scripts.

Now I had fleeting success with the reg edit. The image stayed whilst logged in. It was only when i rebooted that it reverted back to the old one again and i cant for the life of me get it back.

This is all whilst logged in as a student. Strangely enough it seems to have picked up the changes i made to the admin wallpaper (i added another line of info). So is there a permission somewhere stopping it changing the registry?

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 905 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am using BGInfo on my Windows 7 stations. The configuration/settings haven't changed since we were on XP. However I will say that everything BGInfo wise is on the server [BGInfo.exe, the .BGI files and all of the batch files to set up the wallpapers at the stations for the users at logon sit on our domain controller]

Where are your BGInfo files? If they are on the workstation could it be a problem with where the BGInfo files are located?

If you are running Windows 7 64 Bit have you looked at C:\Program Files vs C:\Program Files (x86)?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    same, exe, bgi and batch are all on domain. Batch copies them onto client.

Gut says client is the issue....

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 905 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    same, exe, bgi and batch are all on domain. Batch copies them onto client...
    We don't have a batch file to copy them to the client. They stay on and run from the server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did wonder about that, but it was a "not broke, don't fix" scenario up until recently....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Likewise, BGInfo just works still. In the logon script folder for the GPO, we have the bginfo.exe file and the relevant .bgi file that references an image in another network share. The logon script is then just
    Code:
    bginfo.exe background.bgi /timer:0 /NOLICPROMPT /SILENT
    so it all runs server side.

Not needed any reg hacks. No idea why you're having so many issues.

If you're testing Win7 policies, is your test Win7 machine in a completely separate OU so it's not inheriting any XP policies? Or are you using WMI filters to keep them separated? When we went Win7 earlier this year I just rebuilt all the policies from scratch, was easier and neater and I didn't have anywhere near the struggles you're suffering with :/

I also made sure to tie all my existing policies to a WindowsXP WMI filter and all the new ones to a Windows 7 one - I can post you the filter expressions if you like.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 30th November 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Thank Post
    HI Bginfo only changes the wallpaper for the user and not the logon screen wallpaper

Please the bginfo exe latest version in a folder on the netlogon

Please the jpg that you want to use as the wallpaper in the same folder

Open the bginfo and create a bgi file with the bginfo program. Watch it has a timer that you need to click. Under bitmap click location and click user temp location. Save this file into the netlogon/bginfo folder
    Create a new gpo attached to the users.
    In a log on script use the following script change as needed

\\server\NETLOGON\biginfo\Bginfo.exe \\server\NETLOGON\biginfo\name of file.bgi /TIMER:0 /SILENT /NOLICPROMPT

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    right, trying what you guys said, buts its currently not very silent! lol it's complaining that it cant find the configuration file...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I changed the name from curriclogon.bgi to CURRIClogon.bgi and that seems to have stopped it moaning. thing is when i had the error the background showed for a short while but now ive changed it you dont see it at all..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I changed the name from curriclogon.bgi to CURRIClogon.bgi and that seems to have stopped it moaning. thing is when i had the error the background showed for a short while but now ive changed it you dont see it at all..
    Do bginfo.exe and the .bgi file live together in the logon script folder of that GPO? I know you can't have spaces in the .bgi file name, but other than that can't think why it wouldn't apply...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread