+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, How to replace files on Windows 7 PC's at logon perhaps? in Technical; Hi, As support for sims is dropping next year for server 2003 I have created a new 2008R2 server and ...
    Thank Post

How to replace files on Windows 7 PC's at logon perhaps?

Hi,

As support for sims is dropping next year for server 2003 I have created a new 2008R2 server and installed SQL etc and created a new sims instance ready to make the swap.

On each workstation that runs sims there are two files that need to be edited (or replaced).

C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\connect.ini

C:\Windows\sims.ini

Both of these files contain lines of code that points to the old server name.

I was hoping to just add something in to the logon script for staff that did something like:

if file exists then copy "\\servername\share\simsinifiles\connect.ini" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\connect.ini"

if file exists then copy "\\servername\share\simsinifiles\sims.ini" "C:\Windows\sims.ini"

However whether it is standard permissions on the folders or the UAC being turned on I cannot get the files to copy over to the C:\Windows\ folder - the other one in to C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net works fine....

What are my options?

1. Logon to each PC manually as admin after the server change-over and edit/replace the files with the new - around 100

2. Create a GPO that can test for the existance of the files and if there copy over the new versions.

3. Work out a way to script the file copy and put this in the logon script for staff.

If anyone has any ideas/comments I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    option 1 run it as a startup script it then runs with admin permissions not the users permissions

option 2 use group policy preferences to just copy the file there

for option 1 id just create a script

copy "\\server\share\connect.ini" "c:\program files (x86)\sims\sims .net\connect.ini" /y
    copy "\\server\share\sims.ini" "c:\windows\sims.ini" /y

wouldnt bother with any error checking that way iuf you ever need to change it again just change the \\server\share copy and it will fire out next reboot

Thank Post
    You could use a start up script which would do the same thing. Might also be worth putting something in to check to see if the correct version of the file is there or if the computer has already had the script run so that it doesn't do it every time a user logs in or boots up.

Or you could use a GPP to replace the file?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EvLPhenom View Post
    Or you could use a GPP to replace the file?
    ^^ This.

GPP is a much cleaner way to do this in my opinion.

With GPP and Item Filtering you can do everything you need. File checks, version checks. All doable by GPP.

Thank Post
    This seems to work when I add it to the staff logon batch file:

if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\connect.ini" copy "\\fp2\shapps\simsinifiles\connect.ini" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SIMS\SIMS .net\connect.ini"
    if exist "C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net\connect.ini" copy "\\fp2\shapps\simsinifiles\connect.ini" "C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net\connect.ini"
    if exist "C:\Windows\sims.ini" copy "\\fp2\shapps\simsinifiles\sims.ini" "C:\Windows\sims.ini"

I think my original testing failed as I was just trying to run the script rather than add it to the logon script

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wrote the script attached to this post for updating our SIMS.ini when we moved servers a couple of years ago now, not tested on Windows 7 but should work as far as I can tell. I just added it as a startup script for a while and then eventually removed it again, it just searches through the file and replaces OLDSERVER with NEWSERVER

Spring Update grrrrr

If you want a hand adjusting it for the connect.ini let me know, but other posts in that thread might help out too.
    Last edited by Cache; 28th November 2012 at 08:03 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread