+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Random Windows 7 PCs logging users on with Classic theme in Technical; Hi; Windows 7 seems to be the bane of my life at the moment! Not sure whether it was us ...

Thank Post

Random Windows 7 PCs logging users on with Classic theme

Hi;

Windows 7 seems to be the bane of my life at the moment!

Not sure whether it was us upgrading to IE9 but since we have done it this week I have had the domain users (students) logging on random PCs and getting th 'Classic' (Windows 2000 lookalike theme)

they log onto another PC and get Aero ok (student uses local profiles and redirected documents)

I jump onto the problem PC and log on as administrator / test student Aero pops back up again! Bizzare - no indication in Event Viewer that the theme service has stopped working or graphics driver crashing either..all looking ok as far as I know

So far I have reinstalled the graphics driver on problem PCs and re ran the Experience index. Will see what happens later on this week.

Any one know of any issues with installing IE9 that could cause this?

Thanks as always.

Thank Post
    We are experiencing the same problem as you MrWu. But not yet had the time to investigate...

Thank Post
    Have you tried running the aero troubleshooter, while the PC is displaying the basic desktop? That might give you a few clues..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    Have you tried running the aero troubleshooter, while the PC is displaying the basic desktop? That might give you a few clues..
    Hi

Because the Windows issue happens when a student is logged on the desktop is locked down so unable to run the troubleshooter unfortunately. However, I could possibly check on Impero to see if theme service is running when this happens or possibly use Impero to run aero via command line as administrator.

Last night I simultaniously logged on as a single student test user over 28 PCs in the ICT room and all came up Aero, I have seen a student log on to one of these PCs this afternoon and saw one revert to basic, making me think this is profile dependent also? (all students use local profiles)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bertster View Post
    We are experiencing the same problem as you MrWu. But not yet had the time to investigate...
    Its a strange one and bar coincidence happened after we updated to IE9...

Thank Post
    Our school board is experiencing the same issue after pushing out IE9. Has anyone found a solution, other than logging into every computer as a local admin? Thanks for your time.

Thank Post
    Is it the actual machines, or just certain user accounts?

Could it be GP not setting the correct theme for those machines? I'm thinking maybe someone changed the theme on the Desktop using a .exe or something along those lines, and GP isn't able to switch it back?

If it's user specific maybe they've got something hidden away in their profile setting it?

Thank Post
    It is on computers that have IE 9 recently installed. It only happens for non local admin accounts (students and teacher accounts). After a local admin logs into the computer, that particular computer is fine - non local admins (students and teachers) will get the proper theme/shell. I'm guessing that the install for IE 9 doesn't complete until a local admin logs in and makes a change to the public/default profile??

We are using AD so student and teacher accounts are domain accounts - student accounts use roaming profiles and teacher accounts use local profiles. I've cleared the profiles and tried many different computers, all with the same result.

We have never used Group Policy to force or set Windows Themes, we rely on the default profile to apply this setting. This issue doesn't occur until IE 9 is installed.

Thanks for your time..

9. Thanks to mcintoow from:

cragos1984 (9th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Has anyone found a fix for this?

Got the problem after installing IE9.

Andrew

Thank Post
    I never found a solution. I have since injected IE9 into our image.

Thank Post
    Although I haven't tested this, Jason Sandys - OSD and RunOnce should help. I found it on a TechNet forum post (Deployment: IE9 deployment breaks aero theme) and what it says makes sense. I guess it's worth a try?

13. Thanks to TomCollins from:

adhutton (21st August 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    When the theme dropped on our Win 7 machines with IE9 we just replaced the students roaming profile and that solved it so suspect its some form of corruption, as near enough everything was re-directed it took no time at all to sort out

15. Thanks to john from:

adhutton (21st August 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @adhutton Just a thought, have you also installed 2670838 and 2834140? 26703838 has been reported to cause these symptoms (that or BSODs) and 287038 was recently release to fix the BSOD problem, perhaps it fixes/exacerbates the issue? IE10 requires 2670838, and also has been reported to cause these issues.

In general my first steps would be to check that you've got the latest recommend hotfixes installed. Folder Redirection, and Roaming Profiles and Group Policy, and the CSC are full of bugs in SP1 that can cause this sort of problem with profiles.

Here is my (personal) latest hotfix recommendation list: Before proceeding you must first launch Adobe Acrobat and accept the End User License (a strange topic to hide them).

Hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by psydii; 21st August 2013 at 02:51 PM.

Thank Post
    We had this problem when migrating to Windows 7 this time last year. In the end I forced the Aero theme on Group Policy (see here: Solution 1 Windows 7 Aero Theme Not Enabled After Deployment - AutoIt Consulting). Obviously make sure you run gpupdate /force after setting this up on GP..

I hope this helps you too!

Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread