+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 GPO Setting Proxy Issue in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 GPO Setting Proxy Issue

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and joined specifically hoping I could pick your brains I've got an issue with (non authenticated) proxy setting via gpo on windows 7, and I cant get my head around it.

Itís the whole site of maybe 120 W7 computers, they all do the same thing. Basically it was all ok, then I used WSUS from the 2008 R2 server to auto deploy all the security updates and now the proxy setting is causing problems.

Itís being applied properly, works in IE fine, but apps that should be taking the proxy setting from IE donít seem to, so for instance office (online) clip art or flash video wonít work.

Now the curious thing is that if a user goes to tools internet, options, connections LAN settings, the proxy and exceptions etc are all there and its ticked. Now if they click ok, without changing anything, it all fires into life, office online clipart works, flash works etc. Obviously this isnít practical for 600 profiles per computer. (We're not using and form of network profile)

Iíve tried new users, admin and limited, and itís the same.

Chrome was installed, (now uninstalled) so Iíve tried resetting default programs to Microsoft.

Tried netsh winhttp show proxy and it says none configured, or some such, if you import it from IE it, shows its configured it, but still doesnít work until you click ok on the above window.

DNS, DCDIAG, NET DIAG all check out ok. RSOP is correct and I've checked for redundent IE policies in SYSVOL and there are none. Does anyone have any experience of a particular update causing this?

If anyone has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated, and might save me from a few more grey hairs!

Thanks in Advance

Ian

Thank Post
    Sorry forgot to mention the obvious, I've tried deleting and making a new GPO, with no joy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you are in the same boat I was in. There is a couple of other threads on this board regarding this exact issue. Give this one a read: GPO not working for IE9 proxy settings

Thank Post
    Can I make a suggestion. Remove/disable your proxy GPO and make a new one, using GPP to apply the following registry changes:

REPLACE - HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings - ProxyEnable - REG_DWORD - 0x1
    REPLACE - HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings - ProxyServer - REG_SZ - "whatever proxy server address"
    REPLACE - HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings - ProxyOverride - REG_SZ - "<local>"
    DELETE - HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections - DefaultConnectionSettings
    DELETE - HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections - SavedLegacySettings

The two values that are deleted actually hold the real proxy/connection settings that are used. These will be automatically recreated.

See if that works.

Edit: Obviously, dont include the quotes with the string values.
    Last edited by ChrisMiles; 21st November 2012 at 01:29 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread