+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 My Docs redirection and Offline Files in Technical; Hello, We are having an intermittant sync problem with several users. Basically, on the SAN, every user has a personal ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 My Docs redirection and Offline Files

Hello,

We are having an intermittant sync problem with several users.

Basically, on the SAN, every user has a personal folder that they can save their files. First off, we map their network drive and then choose the option to "Always Available Offline" - and wait for the files to sync and be indexed. Then, I add the network share to the My Documents library and removed the existing My Docs and Public Docs entries from the library list.

This works fine for 99% of my users. However, some of them have become desynced. I have someone who has 3 laptops - all three of them are having sync issues with the server. Files edited on one laptop are not being synced back to the network drive. Therefore, he has different versions of files across all three devices.

What would have caused this to happen and how can I correct it without data loss? When the laptops are out of the office, they do need to be connected to the VPN in order to access the files on the network drive. He tells me he always connect to the VPN. If this is the case, why aren't the files syncing? Is there a better way to set this up than we have it now? How do I stop this from happening in the future?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I am at a loss of what to do, short of gathering the contents from each laptop and going through each file one by one, looking for the files with the latest version.

Thank Post
    I know only a little about offline files so these are just some basic idea you might have tried already.

First, you should be able to run a manual sync (Right click, sync all) and in Windows 7 there is a conflict list which helps you decide which files to keep, or keep both etc. It would be a case of running them like so on each laptop; 1, 2, 3, 2, 1 to get them all in sync.

Offline files might also fail to sync over the VPN as it is classed as a slow link. This can be set in group policy and it should also give you the default slow link speed in there so you can gauge if that's the problem.

Thank Post
    Hi

I dont like syncing files unless absolutely needed it can eat up a lot of band width and cpu time. I have also had problems with large files.

This was the document I used to set it up in gpo Configuring Group Policy for Offline Files: Group Policy and Configuring New Offline Files Features for Windows 7 Computers Step-by-Step Guide

I used the following before I gave up on it.

Synchronize all Offline Files when logging on
    Synchronize all Offline Files before logging off
    Configuring Background Sync
    Allow or disallow use of the Offline Files feature
    Default cache size
    At logoff, delete local copy of users offline files
    I also had to put on a slow link detection

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedis View Post
    Hello,

We are having an intermittant sync problem with several users.

Basically, on the SAN, every user has a personal folder that they can save their files. First off, we map their network drive and then choose the option to "Always Available Offline" - and wait for the files to sync and be indexed. Then, I add the network share to the My Documents library and removed the existing My Docs and Public Docs entries from the library list.

This works fine for 99% of my users. However, some of them have become desynced. I have someone who has 3 laptops - all three of them are having sync issues with the server. Files edited on one laptop are not being synced back to the network drive. Therefore, he has different versions of files across all three devices.

What would have caused this to happen and how can I correct it without data loss? When the laptops are out of the office, they do need to be connected to the VPN in order to access the files on the network drive. He tells me he always connect to the VPN. If this is the case, why aren't the files syncing? Is there a better way to set this up than we have it now? How do I stop this from happening in the future?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I am at a loss of what to do, short of gathering the contents from each laptop and going through each file one by one, looking for the files with the latest version.

What is the reason Offline Files gives for the sync conflict. I sometimes get "a file was changed on the server and the client" was something to do with Google Chrome not playing nice!

What file server you using? Is it Windows?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

I dont like syncing files unless absolutely needed it can eat up a lot of band width and cpu time. I have also had problems with large files.
    The only way I could include a network drive in the My Docs library was to have it sync the files offline first...

Thank Post
    how do make that option available "Make files available offline"

I have a laptop that is used by a staff member and even if i login as admin i cannot use sync centre.

Windows 7 x64.

We have no GPO's allocated to this laptop

Help

Thank Post
    on the client station run GPResult /h N:\pathicanwriteto.html

Will show you what is going on, could be a local policy.

Thank Post
    thanks for this and i have compared 2 HTML from the same laptops in the same OU and nothing is different.

The only difference i can think of is the laptop that does not have the sync option available is that there is a VPN connection setup, but they connect and dissconnect from this when need be?

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Is it a particular user? Have you checked the user shares on the server for allowing offline caching?

Thank Post
    i have A VPN Connection setup on a windows 7 x64 laptop and i cannot use sync centre as the option is not available?

I have it in the same OU as another laptop of the same model and the other laptop works fine.

I have run gpresult /h on both laptops and there is no difference.

Do you think it could be the VPN?

Any ideas?

Thanks

James

Many Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread