+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Built-in zip extraction doesn't extract all files. in Technical; Having a bit of an issue with the built-in Windows 7 ZIP extraction tool. When extracting files from a ZIP ...

Thank Post

Built-in zip extraction doesn't extract all files.

Having a bit of an issue with the built-in Windows 7 ZIP extraction tool.

When extracting files from a ZIP file using the built-in tool, it looks like all the files are extracted, but when viewing the folder the files 'should' be in, only X amount actually appear (X meaning, the amount of files that appear is random).

This only happens when extracting to a network location. Extracting to a local disk, the files appear no problem. Also using something like 7Zip also works fine.

Thank Post
    We have the same issue and I believe its a known fault. I tend to open the .zip, right click copy, then paste into the location I want it to go in and it tends to work as a workaround. Whether your staff or students could cope with it is another thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Not sure if this makes any difference or helps at all but when you say 'network location' as in a UNC path or as in a mapped network drive which points at the unc path or location ??

You mention 7 zip so I presume you use this to check the zip file to compare what the windows 7 unzip / zip tool has extracted versus what is contained in the zip file itself ??

I presume 7 zip extracts them fine when on a network location ? If so just wondering if you could push that out and get them to use 7 zip instead ?

Linky to 7 zip : http://www.7-zip.org/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We have the same issue and I believe its a known fault. I tend to open the .zip, right click copy, then paste into the location I want it to go in and it tends to work as a workaround. Whether your staff or students could cope with it is another thing.
    I don't think the students would mind, but the staff wanted to show how to use the built-in ZIP management for Windows at home. Copying and pasting from within the ZIP does the same thing strangely enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not sure if this makes any difference or helps at all but when you say 'network location' as in a UNC path or as in a mapped network drive which points at the unc path or location ??

You mention 7 zip so I presume you use this to check the zip file to compare what the windows 7 unzip / zip tool has extracted versus what is contained in the zip file itself ??

I presume 7 zip extracts them fine when on a network location ? If so just wondering if you could push that out and get them to use 7 zip instead ?

Linky to 7 zip : 7-Zip
    Tried unzipping to both a network mapped drive and UNC path, both do the same thing.
    Using 7Zip was just an idea to make sure it was the built-in ZIP management that is having the issue. Opening the ZIP file with the built-in tool displays all the files as it should (the same with 7Zip), but it's only 7Zip that's actually able to extract all files.
    You're probably right, pushing it out would be best. Fortunately this is the first time (or first anyone has mentioned) of this 'feature' (lol), but at least there's a workaround.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread