+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Folder Redirection not working for ONLY 1 User on ONLY 1 computer (Weird) in Technical; Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone out there can help me out with this because it is kind of a weird ...

Thank Post

Folder Redirection not working for ONLY 1 User on ONLY 1 computer (Weird)

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone out there can help me out with this because it is kind of a weird one. I have seen a lot of folder redirection problems, but I just can't seem to nail this down. Here's the problem:

So a teacher came to me today regarding a document that she had started working on that was emailed to her and she had saved it to the temp folder instead of using the Save As from her email before working on it. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the temp version of the document, but while looking for her file, I noticed that NONE of her folders were redirecting ( I have teachers setup for My Documents, Desktop, Start Menu, etc. redirection) to the server. I had thought it somewhat strange and spend some time trying to figure the problem out until, finally, I decided to go ahead and just reimage the machine. Unfortunately, the reimage did NOT work for her. Now for the stranger part: I can log on to any other computer as her and I have no problem. I can log onto her computer (the one I just reimaged) as a different account and have no problem. So, apparently, the problem exists only with her account and only on this system (which happens to be her teacher assigned one). I have tried unjoining/rejoining the domain with no luck. I thought maybe there might be a DNS issue with the old computer name, so I took if off the domain, renamed, rejoined and still same problem. Fortunately, there are event logs for the folder redirection of which I have posted the images below (FYI, all her folders display a similar/same error. Just showing the 2 different ones that appear).

Error1.PNG
    Error2.PNG

Something to note as well with the second picture is that it is trying to redirect to "%HOMEPATH%\Users\meadort" when really it should only be trying to redirect a user's Documents folder to just "%HOMEPATH%" So, I'm not really sure why it appends the rest of the local path on there as I have never really seen it appear that way when other users have had redirection problems.

Any help or advice would be greatly apprecieated as I am running out of ideas. I'm going to ahead though and reimage it one more time today before I leave work to see if that does anything, but I kind of doubt it since it didn't do anything the first time. Thanks in advance!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I have had this issue and never did solve it - I created a new user (used a middle initial) and copied all the docs across.
    No more problems
    But I would love to know what on earth was going on

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,340 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Ah yes, didn't notice that you hadn't mentioned whether you did that or not - on the server, that is (any profiles on the machine would have been wiped on re-image)
    But I did do it and it didn't help

Thank Post
    If any of the above didnt work and if like you say its only one machine, then do the following.. its not a fix more a work around

1. give the user local admin rights.. get him/her to login, then
    2. Create a folder on the local c:\drive with the same name as the users home directory
    3. Go to the properties of my documents, add the folder that you have just created, and exit the document properties
    4. Delete the folder that you just created on the c:\
    5. open command prompt (run as administrator)
    6. Create a symbolic link ( How to create symbolic link in windows 7 Windows 7 Home )to the users home folder using exactly the the same name as the folder that you deleted
    7. log back as as yourself and remove the users local admin rights, and get the user to log back on.

Thank Post
    My apologies to everyone for not getting back sooner. I had some other projects come up this week that I had to take care of and am just now getting back to this problem. Anyway, I have tried several of the tips provided with no luck. I have already tried to setting the RequireSecuritySignature and EnableSecuritySignature reg keys to 0 (although I haven't tried deleting them yet...will have to give that a shot) and restarted the machine, but no luck. Also, I have tried completely deleting the user's account from Active Directory and any mention of it on the local machine, but the problem still comes back. Every time, I get Folder Redirection errors talking about how "this account is not authorized to log on from this workstation" and, yet, any other account works fine on the computer and her account works fine on every OTHER computer.

Anyone else got any ideas because I'm running out of things to try?

Again, thanks to all for the help

Thank Post
    HI

This might be a corrupt profile on the machine win 7. If it is I have never managed to fix it. If the profile is held on the client you will have to rebuild the machine. If the profile is on the server and they can log onto other machines you will have to rebuild the client machine. If they cannot log onto other machines you will have to delete and create another user account on the server then copy there old documents in.

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread