+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 Professional Domain Problem in Technical; Hi i have a computer that has been built for teacher use a couple years ago, i will refer this ...
    Thank Post

Windows 7 Professional Domain Problem

Hi

i have a computer that has been built for teacher use a couple years ago, i will refer this as "Domain A"

the computer now isnt used by teacher but is to be used by other members of staff needing access to another domain "Domain B"

"Domain A" is hosted on site and "Domain B" is host off site via the internet

ive took it off Domain a this morning and have put the new computer onto Domain B

the problem im having is. when the users log into domain B they dont get some of the Group policys set for domain b
    ive run GPResult /h report.html and read the report and is showing up the group policy client side extension problem. ive attached a JPG of the error within event viewer (Shown Below)

can anyone tell me where there could be still reminance of the old Domain A and where i could delete anything from domain a.

Im really trying to avoid the need to re image this pc. so if i can fix it this way that would be great

im about 90% sure this problem is due to a GPP i set from Domain A which is still affecting the computer in Domain B

Hope someone can help!

Many thanks

group policy problem.jpg

Thank Post
    mm...
    I think from the error message it may be somthing to do with the speed of the network you are trying to connect to. The error message suggests that the GP timed out before it could finish the redirect. I think (i'm not fully up to speed with slow networks if you will excuse the pun) that you may have to look at settings for slow networks and policy porocessing timing with respect to network availability. Some one more expert than me may give you a better pointer

Thank Post
    Thanks for that Hedghog!

also can i note when i run "gpupdate /force" it is still not pulling the group policy

also can i note as well Domain A and B are on the same subnet just different ipaddress range for example X.168.X.X and X.169.X.X

I noticed that the guy who put this over to the new domain didnt let the computer restart after he had took if of my domain and just automatically put in to the new domain if that makes any difference?? this is why think there is still some reminance of the old domain left hiding somewhere

cheers

Thank Post
    format c:

a re image is the surest way to get rid of the old domain, most policies are stored in HKLM\software\policies.

I have deleted specific keys before and then did a gpupdate /force to fix some issues, don't know what would happen if you deleted the whole policies folder and then did a gpupdate.

Thank Post
    at this rate i might just reformat!

its a lot of hassle that way but it seems to be the only option atm

thanks for the reply tho

Thank Post
    Going from past experience is never a good idea to remove a machine from one domain and add to another. There are always settings which never get removed, and when a new domain comes along and tries to updates those settings it has issues..

Like Dana says.. Your time would best be spent in re imaging the machine for the new domain its now sits on.

Thank Post
    Move the machine out into a workgroup first then back into the other domain. This will clear most of the GPO setting from the old domain.

However, GPP mode actually targets individual settings and reg keys, in old terms this would be known as "Tattooing the registry". In affect you have a setting to change a registry key, simply no longer applying that setting won't change the reg key back. To revert this change you either need to find the reg key affected and manaulyl change it back, or change the GPP setting to update the key to your new desired state.

Thank Post
    IIRC there a setting somewhere to force GP to finish processing before allowing logon... We have to do this to ensure our cross domain users get all of the right policies. Can't remember exactly where it is.

Thank Post
    Try These two

Windows 7 Clients intermittently fail to apply group policy at startup Put this on the computer

Put this is gpo

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ System\ Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Put this is gpo

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ System\ Logon\ Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Richard
    Thats the one I was going for!

Thank Post
    You could try deleting the cached group policies from the computer:

1. Go to the location C:\users\all users\Microsoft\Group Policy\History\

2. Delete all subfolders e.g. {3A060EA6-45E4-41D7-9918-90407539BF0D}

3. Run the command gpupdate /force

This should then pull down the policies from domain b.

Last edited by aleach2; 23rd October 2012 at 02:03 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread