Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, IE9 and Windows 7 slow to respond at first in Technical; Hello All, Currently I'm working on creating a new Windows 7 image for our new WDS server. Previously we used ...
    Thank Post

IE9 and Windows 7 slow to respond at first

Hello All,
    Currently I'm working on creating a new Windows 7 image for our new WDS server. Previously we used KACE to deploy but the lack of multicasting has us fishing for other options.

IE9 has been giving me hell. We never used it before, we always hid IE and had Chrome and Firefox on our machines. Our new director is adamant we go to an IE based district. All fine and dandy, until we try to use it. At first run the users whether local, mandatory, or roaming IE9 takes FOREVER to display the homepage. We're talking 2-5 minutes, usually getting the recover webpage button at the bottom.

If I look in addons after IE has fully started they all say they started in milliseconds so I don't think it's an Addon issue. I have tried starting with all addons disabled and that doesn't help either. But if you wait out the first run per session IE9 runs fine after that even after closing and opening again. But as soon as the user logs off and back on again they have to wait for the homepage. Usually the recommended settings dialog pops up after the homepage finally comes up as well.

I'm thinking it has to do with that recommended settings dialog. Is there a way to set that for all users to use recommended settings on the machine itself and not have to rely on a GPO to do it? Any other ideas what could be hanging it up? Thanks!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iadubber View Post
    Hello All,
    Currently I'm working on creating a new Windows 7 image for our new WDS server. Previously we used KACE to deploy but the lack of multicasting has us fishing for other options.

IE9 has been giving me hell. We never used it before, we always hid IE and had Chrome and Firefox on our machines. Our new director is adamant we go to an IE based district. All fine and dandy, until we try to use it. At first run the users whether local, mandatory, or roaming IE9 takes FOREVER to display the homepage. We're talking 2-5 minutes, usually getting the recover webpage button at the bottom.

If I look in addons after IE has fully started they all say they started in milliseconds so I don't think it's an Addon issue. I have tried starting with all addons disabled and that doesn't help either. But if you wait out the first run per session IE9 runs fine after that even after closing and opening again. But as soon as the user logs off and back on again they have to wait for the homepage. Usually the recommended settings dialog pops up after the homepage finally comes up as well.

I'm thinking it has to do with that recommended settings dialog. Is there a way to set that for all users to use recommended settings on the machine itself and not have to rely on a GPO to do it? Any other ideas what could be hanging it up? Thanks!
    I did end up getting this to work with local policies, I could never get and AD GPOs to apply to IE9 even after editing the XML max value.
    I just disabled the customer experience, first run config popup, and recommended add-on settings popup. Sucks it has to be set local, but gotta do what we gotta do!

Thank Post
    We also had some problems initially with IE9 and had to untick automatically detect settings in every one of the group policy objects that we had (seemed to be set by default).

This cause all sorts of problems for us as it would check for settings even though we had told IE to use our proxy server.

4. Thanks to Pompey81 from:

timbo343 (25th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey81 View Post
    We also had some problems initially with IE9 and had to untick automatically detect settings in every one of the group policy objects that we had (seemed to be set by default).

This cause all sorts of problems for us as it would check for settings even though we had told IE to use our proxy server.
    This was the cause for us too. IE9 is much quicker at loading up

Thank Post
    is the homepage assigned based on AD credentials? if so, we have the same problem and we haven't found a solution yet!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pompey81 View Post

In particular, Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings - Automatically detect settings (untick). This will cut out your startup delay.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread