+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Staff can't open newly created files in homedrive on windows 7 in Technical; Here's the situation: As of yesterday any staff member who saves any file to their homedrive (redirected server share) on ...
    Thank Post

Staff can't open newly created files in homedrive on windows 7

Here's the situation:

As of yesterday any staff member who saves any file to their homedrive (redirected server share) on their win7 laptop is then unable to open it. Saving and opening in the 'public' drive works as expected. Logging on to XP machine allows opening of the files and saving. Opening files created a few days ago work fine but if you modify and save them you loose access.
    The error messages from programs vary but all are along the lines of 'Access Denied' or 'Permission Error'. I have checked the permissions and they are correct:- two files with exactly the same permissions in the same folder one will open (older file) and one won't (new file).
    What is even more odd users can rename and delete these files so not all access is blocked.

Things I've tried:
    Logging on as administrator: problem effects admin users as well.
    Logging on to the server that host the files: files can be opened normally, copied a file from homedrive share to public share and it opens fine on client machines, copy it back and it stops working.
    Admin user logged on to client machine can't access own new files but can navigate to other user folders and open their new files.
    Moved computer to OU without gpo's: Same issues.
    Checked Log files on server and client machine: Nothing stands out

I'm thinking it has to be some sort of permission issue or gpo issue but I can't find the source!
    I'm banging my head against the wall with this one and could really do with some suggestions.

Thank Post
    Just to let you know this issue has been resolved. I narrowed it down to a problem with offline files which is enabled in users' home directories. Further investigation revealed that the EFS certificate in the default domain policy had expired. Creating a new certificate and replacing the expired one sorted out the issues, also, disabling encryption of offline files was a temporary fix I used whilst sorting out the certificate error.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread