+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Allow student accounts ability to restart Print Spooler service in Technical; Is there an easy way (via GP presumably) to allow student / limited accounts to be able to stop / ...

Thank Post

Allow student accounts ability to restart Print Spooler service

Is there an easy way (via GP presumably) to allow student / limited accounts to be able to stop / start the Print Spooler service?

We're having a lot of printer issues which a restart of the spooler usually solves but students can't do this so and if they could it would save us a lot of time!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Yep.

(At least in theory!)

Computer Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings > System Services

Find Print Spooler in the list, define the setting and set to Automatic startup, then click Edit Security, add your Pupils group, and tick Start, stop and pause. As always, try it on a test machine before making the change on your production GPOs.

For what it's worth, I suspect this may cause more problems than it will solve. Just off the top of my head, nuisance pupils will stop the service and leave it that way for the next person. You may want to add a logon script that starts the service to avoid this.

Ultimately, as I'm sure you are aware, fixing the printer problems must be the long term solution.
    Last edited by AngryTechnician; 5th October 2012 at 12:43 PM.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

tmcd35 (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Do you have Windows 7 clients with Windows 2003 servers? If so there's a registry fix you can deploy that fixed most of our problems

Thank Post
    Can you let me know what the Registry fix is, as we have some issues with Win7 clients on 2003

Thanks

Thank Post
    @googlemad - can you describe your printing problem a bit more? I've just spent 4 weeks sorting our our printing problems with Win7 clients (2008 servers) and now have things working. I came across a bunch of useful things to try on along the way

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    @googlemad - can you describe your printing problem a bit more? I've just spent 4 weeks sorting our our printing problems with Win7 clients (2008 servers) and now have things working. I came across a bunch of useful things to try on along the way
    Please share your findings I hate windows 7 and printers.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Yep.
    For what it's worth, I suspect this may cause more problems than it will solve. Just off the top of my head, nuisance pupils will stop the service and leave it that way for the next person. You may want to add a logon script that starts the service to avoid this.
    We get random print spooler drop out on Win7/2k8r2 machines, never had the problem before on XP. Suddenly the spooler would not see the printers on the server. Suspect there might be an issue with one or more of the Oki drivers but haven't been able to find anything yet. We've done everything we can on the server, including isolating all the print drivers, turning off bi-directional, etc.

We have given staff local admin rights on their machines and put a batch file on the desktop to restart the spooler. Currently looking at the "SC" command to remotely restart print spoolers. Hoping to find a way of putting it into a batch file on the teachers PC in the ICT suites.

I think @AngryTechnician, you might have come up with the solution to the admin password in a batch file problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlClark View Post
    Can you let me know what the Registry fix is, as we have some issues with Win7 clients on 2003

Thanks
    Windows 7 printing to Server 2003 Print Server - Spiceworks

Thank Post
    OK some of the things I have found about printers.

1) I cannot stress enough how important it is to get the correct and most up to date driver for your printers. Try and get a model specific one where possible, generic drivers (such as HP Universal) completely suck because of their size! I have found in most cases that a specific model driver for Windows Vista is far better than a generic driver for Windows 7

2) If you have to install drivers for both 32bit and 64bit machines, make sure the driver versions you use are the same. I had real problems with a Xerox Phaser because the drivers I had for 64bit were one version newer than the 32bit ones I had. When installing the printer onto 64bit clients, for some reason it was pulling down part of the 32bit drivers. This caused an odd problem where the printer looks like it is installed, you can even send Test Pages to it. However printing from an application gave the error "No printers are installed" :-/

3) From the following technet site I found some useful info that fixed one of my printers. This is to do with settings permissions on the Driverstore\FileRepository folder. In rare instances it is unable to write the correct driver info to this folder:

Windows can not connect to the printer 0x00000057

4) Only install the printers and drivers you need for the machine/room. I was ending up with 12 different drivers on clients which only needed 1 or 2. The extra bloat made it harder to track down what was causing print spooler crashes

5) Try setting the drivers to run in Isolation mode (not just Shared). It may not be wholly supported by the driver Inf file but it helped me to strip out a couple of problematic drivers (namely the HP Universal!!)

6) Finally, I discovered some excellent info on the following technet page. Basically, the windows printer spooler - although it may look like it is running - actually doesn't fully fire up until a few seconds AFTER logon! This can cause errors when adding printers. There is an excellent script at the bottom of the page which is what I am now using.... and it works a treat!! Dont deploy via GPP, instead set this script to copy to the machines via a startup script. It will then run at login (read the page for full info). It has a built in 'wait for spooler to start' sequence and also only adds drivers if they don't already exist. It also strips out un-needed printers This speeds up login times tremendously.

Windows 7 - Event ID 4098, '0x80070704 The specified port is unknown' when mapping network printers

Hope this lot helps

11. Thanks to themightymrp from:

dhoward_westexetc (9th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Should anyone have printer issues and you are using GPP with windows 7 then that is why. GPP for printers is broken in so many horrendous ways it's simply not worth using. Here's a hint, it frequently breaks the spooler when reapplying the GPP. I've reverted to login scripts, at least they work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    GPP for printers is broken in so many horrendous ways it's simply not worth using.
    Have you applied any hotfixes? Mine worked much better after applying some of the more recent GPP hotifxes, even the ones that didn't officially have printer fixes!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Have you applied any hotfixes? Mine worked much better after applying some of the more recent GPP hotifxes, even the ones that didn't officially have printer fixes!
    Which hotfixes are these @AngryTechnician ? I have not seen anything about those.

I have just begun the process of dumping GPP for our printers because reliability is so hopeless, and going back to scripts. We had endless random issues, sometimes specified port is unknown, then next reboot it is fine and so on.

I found the same thing as @themightymrp in that printers don't deploy successfully until I delay applying the printer connection by around 15 seconds after the script starts, due to issues with the Print Spooler.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoward_westexetc View Post
    printers don't deploy successfully until I delay applying the printer connection by around 15 seconds after the script starts, due to issues with the Print Spooler.
    Glad it's not just me then!

Thank Post
    Microsoft have quietly issued about half a dozen hotfixes for GPP even since SP1 - and they really are hotfixes, as in they aren't in WU at all.

The most recent one I have deployed is KB2561285, which officially has nothing to do with printers, but don't be fooled - the GPP hotfixes are cumulative as all GPP functions run out of the single Gpprefcl.dll file. There have certainly been published fixes for printers in earlier hotfixes, and I've noticed various parts of GPP that worked more reliably since deploying the above hotfix in February.

(With apologies for threadjacking.)

17. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

dhoward_westexetc (9th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I have downloaded these and will give these a try. The scripts though work so well so I am loathed to change that now!

I think if deployment of printing actually worked then it would negate the need for a workaround like in the OP. I have spent years and years trying to get printer deployment to work both on XP and 7, and only found something reasonably successful with old fashioned scripts that I developed fairly recently.

I find I rarely have to re-start the print spooler in use, it only happened when a Color Laserjet 4700 driver starting playing up on our Win 7 machines. However changing to the Universal Print Driver cured that. We use the UPD for almost all our HP printers and have never had an issue with reliability of the driver, it is purely getting the queue deployed in the first place!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast