+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Lowest Spec Windows 7 Computers in Technical; Not running Windows 7 but my boss went to see a perspective new client yesterday who is still running a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Not running Windows 7 but my boss went to see a perspective new client yesterday who is still running a Windows 3.1 machine

Thank Post

Re: Lowest Spec Windows 7 Computers

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Not running Windows 7 but my boss went to see a perspective new client yesterday who is still running a Windows 3.1 machine
    Last time i used one of those was in 2001. I was 11 at time. Might of been 3.5. I feel like playing on virtual pc

hit
    Thank Post
    The garage that has serviced my cars for the last 15 years is still running the 386 I put in for him with page accounts (free version of sage at the time) and dot matrix printer, all using DOS, none of your new fangled windows malarkey! It works for him, I swear he's about 100 years old and doesn't want to have to learn some new system or how to use a mouse

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hit View Post
    The garage that has serviced my cars for the last 15 years is still running the 386 I put in for him with page accounts (free version of sage at the time) and dot matrix printer, all using DOS, none of your new fangled windows malarkey! It works for him, I swear he's about 100 years old and doesn't want to have to learn some new system or how to use a mouse
    What happens when the hardware dies?

hit
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    What happens when the hardware dies?
    I'm not sure if its keeping him alive or he keeps it alive, I reckon when one dies the other will go! Anyway, he's dutifully kept backups of everything over the years, I guess it could be spun up in a virtualbox?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Last time i used one of those was in 2001. I was 11 at time. Might of been 3.5. I feel like playing on virtual pc
    I've never used one and am a similar age to you!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hit View Post
    I'm not sure if its keeping him alive or he keeps it alive, I reckon when one dies the other will go! Anyway, he's dutifully kept backups of everything over the years, I guess it could be spun up in a virtualbox?
    More likely to get it running in VMware - it supports a hell of a lot more OS's then Virtualbox and Hyper-V

Thank Post
    A friend of mine was on a service call to an office just over a year ago and a lady there was using 3.1

Thank Post
    The lowest spec computer I have put windows 7 on with AV is a HP Compaq nx6110 which has 512mb ram 333.0 MHz and Intel Pentium M 730 / 1.6 GHz with a graphics chip Intel GMA 900 - 32.0 MB it runs ok with win 7 and office 2010.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lowest spec we have here are HP DC5800s running Core2Duo at 2.8GHz with 2Gb of RAM - I am delighted that this is now my baseline in school after the state of some IT rooms three years ago!

They run everything fine with the sole problem that, depending on the motherboard, the onboard graphics are occassionally not up to much and an overly complicated webpage - including, annoyingly, ePortal - will make it flake out and display nothing except a black screen. Sticking a dGPU in sorts it out, but it wouldn't be so much of a problem if the Win7 GPOs actually let me control Aero easily and per-computer instead of being daft first-logon profile guff

Thank Post
    optiplex 170l 1gb, celeron here. its ok. ish.

Thank Post
    Lowest spec Windows 7 PC's here are Dell Optiplex GX520's, 745's and 755's. All with 2gb RAM and 160Gb hard disks. Perfectly acceptable for staff rooms doing nothing but Hotmail, BBC sports website, office and registers, I wouldn't recommend doing Photoshop on them though...

The remaining Dells will be retired Summer 2013 as student lab PC's get replaced on the usual 3 year cycle.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Similar or OP:

Dell Optiplex GX620: 80 GB SATA, 1 GB ram, Pentium D 2.8 GHz. [Slow but serviceable for simple word processing and some undemanding web browsing]
    That was my machine (at work) until recently though had 2GB ram running Windows 7. As a joke we did manage to install 7 onto an old Ergo tablet, graphics were awful but it ran with 512MB ram (just about).

Thank Post
    Oldest desktops are Pentium 4 3GHz with HT, 2GB RAM, Radeon Xpress 200M graphics and 80 GB IDE drives. We have around 110 of those. They probably wouldn't be that slow except for their painful IDE drives! Perfectly usable though.

We also have a few Pentium M 1.7 desktops, 2GB RAM and an add-in NVidia G210 GPU, and these are surprisingly sprightly on Windows 7 despite their single core processors! Probably because they are SATA drives.

Oldest laptops are Core Duo 1.6GHz, 3 or 4 GB RAM and 945GM graphics. They're out of warranty so I pieced together the best 60 or so and added a decent amount of RAM using what I had spare. These go really quite well on Windows 7!

I had also managed to get Win 7 on a laptop with a Pentium M 1.6GHz, 855GM graphics and 1GB RAM. No DirectX, but were OK for word processing. We've all but retired those ones now however as they are almost 9 years old!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoward_westexetc View Post
    Oldest desktops are Pentium 4 3GHz with HT, 2GB RAM, Radeon Xpress 200M graphics and 80 GB IDE drives. We have around 110 of those. They probably wouldn't be that slow except for their painful IDE drives! Perfectly usable though.

We also have a few Pentium M 1.7 desktops, 2GB RAM and an add-in NVidia G210 GPU, and these are surprisingly sprightly on Windows 7 despite their single core processors! Probably because they are SATA drives.

Oldest laptops are Core Duo 1.6GHz, 3 or 4 GB RAM and 945GM graphics. They're out of warranty so I pieced together the best 60 or so and added a decent amount of RAM using what I had spare. These go really quite well on Windows 7!

I had also managed to get Win 7 on a laptop with a Pentium M 1.6GHz, 855GM graphics and 1GB RAM. No DirectX, but were OK for word processing. We've all but retired those ones now however as they are almost 9 years old!
    We did the same kind of thing an HT made a huge difference. The 2GHz Celerons with 1.2GB of RAM were a bit rubbish but still worked. 7 works on a surprising amount of old tech.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast