+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Problems with Wireless Laptops logging in domain in Technical; Hi all; Stuck this in the Windows 7 section purely because I didn't have this problem with XP Basically one ...

Thank Post

Problems with Wireless Laptops logging in domain

Hi all;

Stuck this in the Windows 7 section purely because I didn't have this problem with XP

Basically one of the Primary Schools i visit have a laptop trolley with it's own dedicated Wireless AP in the classroom. I have, in the last few weeks, been putting windows 7 on these laptops, which orignally had XP.

The students have mandatory profiles (About 2mb big) with redirected desktops, start menu and documents.

There are 20 laptops in the trolley, I have so far only put Windows 7 on 10 of these.

However since doing this, the logon times for the Windows 7 machines are SO slow it's unreal. Can literally take up to 15 minutes if all logging in at the same time.

If I log one or two laptops in, they login fairly quickly (30 seconds). The wireless drivers are all up to date - So i don't understand why changing to Windows 7 would cause the login times to be so slow.

Any one have any ideas? If it helps I have turned on Verbose status messages and it typically gets stuck at "Waiting for the User Profile Service"

TIA.

Thank Post
    Try plugging a few into the wall and see if they take the same amount of time on 'waiting for user profile service', if they do, you can at least rule out the wireless (flick wireless off before you do this)...

Your XP mandatory profiles won't work, try removing them from one user and log in to win 7 laptops

Does event viewer give you any clues for the delays?

Thank Post
    Hi Dom

thanks for the reply

Sorry i forgot to add - I have created Windows 7 mandatory profiles (.v2 profiles)

I will try plugging some into the wall, unfortunately it's such a small school, the most i can plug in at one point is 5!

I'll also check the event viewer - although I don't remember seeing anything out the ordinary before.

Another thing I have remembered is that sometimes the desktops don't actually redirect, like the laptop just gives up trying and logs in without redirecting it.

Thank Post
    When you log in 2 (30 seconds), does the profile redirect ok?

How big is the mandatory profile?

How are desktops etc configured?

What wireless point are you using?

How long does it take to log a new user (create a new user) on to the XP laptops?

Thank Post
    We experienced this when we upgraded all the laptops in school from xp to win 7. Folder redirection kept not applying here which in my case was a problem with offline files that i had not disabled for the students laptops. I applied the GPO to disable offline files and flushed the offline file cash on the student machines affected and this resolved the issue. An important policy to apply is always wait for the network at log on.

Sometimes if the machines have not been shutdown and go into sleep or hibernate the network card is not enabled again. In power options in windows 7 there is a way to stop this behavior.

If i find any more of my notes I made ill post them back but I have not yet managed to get our Windows 7 laptops down to the logon times we had when we were using XP.

Thank Post
    Its worth saying 'how' the mandatory profile was created. MS no longer support the copying of a user profile to the default profile and instead you have to complete it as part of the sysprep process.

Thank Post
    Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

This turned out to be a problem with the Wireless AP in the classroom. A simple restart of the AP seems to have done the trick for now. Logins are now generally under a minute for all 10 Windows 7 Laptops, which i'm quite content with!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread