+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 7 Thread, GPP Printers and Romaing Profiles (again...) in Technical; Originally Posted by sonofsanta Don't know why, but just running a bat file with "gpupdate /force" in it slowed logons ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Don't know why, but just running a bat file with "gpupdate /force" in it slowed logons down massively; the computer just hangs at a plain blue background. Rubbish :/
    That can easily slow logins down quite a lot depending on how you setup your policies.
    You shouldnt need to do this as it applies this when you login anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I'm experiencing very similar problems but using mandatory profiles. It takes a second login to get into gear.

Oddly the printer seems to be there.. But it's not default and group policy results has no record of being succuessful nor failing..

I'm really at wits end with gpp for deploying printers.. Iv tried everything other than creating a new profile. I don't want to be doing that's it's a right pain.

It's only happened since using win 7 I never seen this in xp.

Hope someone could shed some light on this.
    One thing to test is the checkbox for applying in the user context rather then system level which is default.
    I presume its a w7 profile not a xp one migrated?

Drivers are the most common issue usually and certain HP ones especially (points at universHELL driver)
    The spooler service can crash with bad drivers losing all printers until you reboot. W7 does have a GP setting though to run spooler drivers in isolation, this means one driver shouldnt be able to kill the service but if the driver crashes the person WILL lose the printer in the printer section of w7 until its readded by relogging in.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 28th September 2012 at 08:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    @sonofsanta - I ran the update as a vbs script which updates the user section only. I got the code from somewhere else but can't remember the site sorry. Below is a copy of what we use. Below is a copy of the vbs script I used here without causing logon problems. The one thing I remember reading is that you need to call the file something like SilentGPUpdate.vbs as if you run GPupdate it can cause the system to go into a loop continusly running GPUpdate and then repeating.

'Define Variables and Objects.
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

'Note: Gpupdate command has to be run twice as the ECHO command can't answer more than one question.

'Refresh the USER policies and also answer no to logoff if asked.
    Result = WshShell.Run("cmd /c echo n | gpupdate /target:user /force",0,true)

'Hand back the errorlevel
    Wscript.Quit(Result)

Edit: If i got it from someone on here, thanks and apologies not recognising your work.
    That seems to work better - although it may be that my BAT file did the slow logon because it was just called gpupdate.bat and so resulted in an eternal loop of calling itself, as you mentioned above. Setting it as a logon script still delays the desktop by ten seconds, though, so what I've done is save the script to a shared location and set it to run under User Policies > Admin Templates > System > Logon > Run these programs at user logon - that way it runs but it doesn't delay anything. We'll see if it actually resolves the problem or just shifts it to later in the logon process, now I have a sinking feeling that as often as the extra refresh fixes it, it will break it again, so I will be keeping a close eye on it...

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    You shouldnt need to do this as it applies this when you login anyway.
    Most the time it does, and it applies it fine - but intermittently it decides that the printer can't be found, which is BS as it has found the printer for the last three dozen logons in a row and nothing has changed since then. Logging off and logging on again usually fixes this but it'd be nice (and make me look better) if it just bloomin' worked. No rhyme nor reason to the times it doesn't, 5 people in a row will be fine then the next person comes along and borked. Stupid GPP!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    <SNIP>
    Most the time it does, and it applies it fine - but intermittently it decides that the printer can't be found, which is BS as it has found the printer for the last three dozen logons in a row and nothing has changed since then. Logging off and logging on again usually fixes this but it'd be nice (and make me look better) if it just bloomin' worked. No rhyme nor reason to the times it doesn't, 5 people in a row will be fine then the next person comes along and borked. Stupid GPP!
    This is why I ended up sticking the refresh in as I found it didn't apply the default printer 100% of the time and this caused problems with jobs being logged constantly with printers not working when in actual fact they had printed to the wrong printer.

4. Thanks to penfold from:

sonofsanta (1st October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deano View Post
    There are a couple of fixes you can do that help with GPP Printers. I had to carry out these tasks as we too rolled out GPP printers over the summer. The first fix is a reg hack that removes shared printers on logoff, this will then force the next logon to re-evaluate the printer setup and default. The second was a hotfix from Microsoft. We have one GPP that has all the printers in.

It will go through and add then delete if you are not in the ILT. Works great now with the hotfix, but without it would get stuck on the first printer and then give up
    Do you have any additional details on the specific hotfix and the reg hack?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SS07 View Post
    Do you have any additional details on the specific hotfix and the reg hack?
    I'm interested in seeing this too - we are also having intermittant gpp mappings...

Thank Post
    There is an option called "Delete All" in GPP which you can just put at No.1 in the order, that way when the user logs into any machine it removes all printers, then re-installs the ones required.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12