+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Black Screen after Domain Login in Technical; Hi all I've rolled out Win7 to 400 PC's over the summer and all is well except for a very ...
    Thank Post

Black Screen after Domain Login

Hi all

I've rolled out Win7 to 400 PC's over the summer and all is well except for a very random issue where a domain user will login and get the dreaded black desktop with only the start button visible. CTRL, ALT, DEL, logout and login again fixes it. I see about 10 instances of this a day cross campus and there is nothing in any of the logs. Have installed a ton of hotfixes etc but to no avail.

Not using the user folder redirection section in a GPO, but instead using redirection through the usershellfolders registry keys and although the shared desktop is on a network server it also happens on a couple of logins that run the desktop from c: with no other redirection.

Any other ideas? If I get this fixed then maybe just maybe I can finally have a day off

Cheers
    Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    I've seen similar with workstations which have Intel graphics. Update the driver (through Windows Update) and it should fix the issue.

3. Thanks to Michael from:

AJWhite1970 (19th September 2012)

Thank Post
    HI

Check as well the screen resolution is not too high for the card and the monitor.

Richard

Thank Post
    I have usually found it is connected to roaming profiles - try deleting local cached profile and perhaps giving the user a new profile in AD - sometimes go into registry if local profile messed up to delete it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I've seen similar with workstations which have Intel graphics. Update the driver (through Windows Update) and it should fix the issue.
    Actually now you mention it, I didn't think about graphics card drivers. A quick check reveals the PC's are on 2009 drivers so I'll be testing the latest drivers for Intel, ATI and NVidia to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the heads-up
    Andrew

Thank Post
    Are you running Solus 3?

We are having a similar issue with the agent giving a black screen after login.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_G View Post
    Are you running Solus 3?

We are having a similar issue with the agent giving a black screen after login.
    Hi Kenny_G

Nope, no Solus here. Very early initial testing shows there is some mileage in the outdated graphics driver theory. I'll post back when I've run some more tests over the coming days.

Andrew

Thank Post
    We have the same issue, but on staff laptops. went to use a laptop I know had the black screen after log on and found the school desktop, the only difference i could tell had happened to the laptop form deployment was that all of the windows updates had been installed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AJWhite1970 View Post
    Hi all

I've rolled out Win7 to 400 PC's over the summer and all is well except for a very random issue where a domain user will login and get the dreaded black desktop with only the start button visible. CTRL, ALT, DEL, logout and login again fixes it. I see about 10 instances of this a day cross campus and there is nothing in any of the logs. Have installed a ton of hotfixes etc but to no avail.

Not using the user folder redirection section in a GPO, but instead using redirection through the usershellfolders registry keys and although the shared desktop is on a network server it also happens on a couple of logins that run the desktop from c: with no other redirection.

Any other ideas? If I get this fixed then maybe just maybe I can finally have a day off

Cheers
    Andrew
    Hi,

When we have had the black screen on our Win7 machines there has been a couple of problems with a couple of settings in our old GPO's

The first one we found was "run scripts synchronously"
    another was something along the lines of do not allow user to login until network is ready
    also another issue we had was we didn't have startup in our all programs menu
    and then finally there was an issue about offline files which once a user logged in they got the default icon to solve this we had to change a few settings on offline files.

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Just as an update - It's not related to graphics drivers as one of my test PC's with the latest Intel drivers on it black screened this morning. Now starting to trawl through old GPO's and try and find a rogue setting in there (but I would have thought a wrong GPO would cause far more PC's to blank than the occasional random one)

Days like this I wish I wasn't allergic to caffeine...

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    The only other possibility - I remember sometime back there were reports of users (around the world) logging on and getting black screens. In the end, it was malware creating the problem.

Thank Post
    I have just been working on one of my problem black screen win 7 laptops, I have just installed sp1 and the school back ground has now been set as the background.

Thank Post
    Is this the same issue caused by Sophos,

From Wednesday 19th/09/2012 I just had the one computer, Now I get the black screens happening across whole the school

Advisory: Shh/Updater-B False positives

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlong1985 View Post
    Is this the same issue caused by Sophos,

From Wednesday 19th/09/2012 I just had the one computer, Now I get the black screens happening across whole the school

Advisory: Shh/Updater-B False positives
    Hi

No thankfully we missed out on that one, my PC's mostly shutdown at 10pm (after evening classes) and our scheduled scans don't happen until 5am (after the backups have finished) so by then Sophos had already pushed out the correct IDE's. As evening classes don't start until this Monday, hardly any PC's were on or being used when the bad IDE went live and fortunately not a single PC self destructed...

Still trawling through GPO settings at the moment, have made a few tweaks and am now monitoring the situation. If I find the cure, I'll post it here.

Andrew

16. Thanks to AJWhite1970 from:

stevenlong1985 (21st September 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi

Still trying to track this down, made a lot of progress by repairing the libraries back to defaults (I had tried several reg hacks to remove them in the original build) and now folder redirection errors I thought were cosmetic have disappeared.

Just wondering if someone could confirm that this version of explorer.exe is the very latest available for Win7 SP1 32bit as I can't believe it's not been patched/hotfix'd somewhere for 18 months given just about every other Windows file has been updated since:-

File version: 6.1.7601.17567
    Date modified: 25/02/2011 05:30

Many thanks
    Andrew

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast