+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Problems with Smartboard under Windows 7 in Technical; Since upgrading our workstations to Wndows 7, we have had a few issues with Smartboard drivers:- 1. Every morning, the ...

Thank Post

Problems with Smartboard under Windows 7

Since upgrading our workstations to Wndows 7, we have had a few issues with Smartboard drivers:-

1. Every morning, the user is having to re-run the connection wizard to connect the Smartboard
    2. Users are having to re-calibrate on a regular basis.
    3. After orientation, there is often a difference of up to 3 inches between the point of touching and the response on the board
    4. Other users are reporting a problem of a latency of a couple of seconds after drawing on the board before the drawing appears.

I've give users full rights to C:\Program Files\SMART Technologies
    I've given users rights to HKLM/software/Smart technologies and HKLM/software/Smart technologies inc
    I've deployed a GPO to turn off touch panning
    I've disabled the Smart Virtual Tablet PC in device manager

I'm struggling to know where to look next

Thank Post
    Are you using the latest version of the software/drivers? I used to have the first problem back when we first started deploying Windows 7 a year or so ago but it doesn't happen now I'm using the latest download.

Thank Post
    I dont think you are alone on this issue (OP). We have 11 boards in total and all are out but we have been on Win7 for over a year now. Even if you align the boards with the hidden 80 point precise orient the board is still out. We have tried alsorts even down to the OS and trying Windows XP and an older version of the smart software, it's driving us insane.

We thought it was:

The cables... nope, not that
    The board... nope not that
    The vga to the projector... nope not that
    The projector... nope not that
    The resolution... nope not that
    The graphics drivers on the machine... nope not that
    The walls as some are metal here... not that as we have tried hte same board in a room with breeze blocks
    Tried the Regedit work around... nope
    Tried the login as local administrator... nope

Im guessing its a fault with the boards... but all of them?? Surely not.

We are running 5x SB580 boards which apparently cannot be upgraded via a fireware, these were working fine before.
    The SB660 boards..
    These are running the latest firmware 5.3.0.0,
    the product update on the majority are 5.0.108.0 and on 1, its 5.1.61.0,
    The product drivers on the majority are 10.8.212.0 and on 1, its 11.0.222.0

I have posted a video of the problem we are having (Problem with Smartboard alignment - Even after orientation. - YouTube). It seems like the boards dont like to be used on the edge... but to me thats a major fail as you cannot select the Close button on the windows.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just looked at the video and that's an odd one... We're running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise with Smart Tools 11.0.578 without any big issues. It works with multiple model boards too: SBX880s and some older than dirt ones that have a serial interface. Smart has a USB conversion cable for the old stuff that just flat out works with their latest version of the Smart Tools. I know you looked at the projector already, but does it show the same resolution on the OSD that Windows is set to? I've seen some weird issues with Windows 7 and EDID with a lot of equipment lately.

Thank Post
    We have sorted the problem out which we featured in the youtube video. The fix is to remove all sides of the 660 and 680 boards via the screws on the back, slide the plastic edges off the smartboard and lay the board face up on a table. We have had to push the top layer of the board (the white bit) way from the board only on the side which is affected then push the sides back down. Put the board back together and mount it.
    Im not use if anyone knows about the 80 point orient but we have oriented the boards with the 80 point one and the boards have been great ever since. The 580s however are a different story. We managed to get one working correctly, but since these boards are rivitted together we cannot take the top layer of the board off and re-lay it.

6. 2 Thanks to timbo343:

dhoward_westexetc (10th October 2012), gshaw (13th September 2012)

Thank Post
    @timbo343 can you do me a favour and check the serial number on one of the boards that you've fixed with this method? If it doesn't have R2 in the number you might have just found the fix I've been looking for to sort out a batch of duff boards we've got that are basically scrap as the whole right side of the board is all over the place.

Never heard of the 80 point orient either, need to check that one out, thanks for the info!

In comparison our 580s which must be about 8 years old now work fine but it's the early 680s that are the problem, the issue was fixed in the R2 boards but ours were out of warranty before we found the issue
    Last edited by gshaw; 13th September 2012 at 01:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Hey @gshaw

The serial numbers on the SB680s and the Sb660s have either No R numbers but we have 2 which have R1. None have R2.

The 80 point calibration is located deep in the Smart software. Right click on the smart icon in the tray > click on Smart control panel or smart settings > On the LHS click on About > Tools > Diagnosics.

You will see a new window come up, click on Tools > Advanced board settings > Calibrate/Orient tab you will see Allow 80 point Orient. Tick this, click apply, click OK close all windows, then go back into the smart control panel > Smart hardware settings > Drop the arrow down and click on Orientation / alignment settings and you will be able to chose Precision 80 point.

We found that by selecting the 80 point didnt fix our problem, so we restored to taking the sides off and pulling the top sheet off on one side of the board and relaying it.

We have to totally relay one of them though, as we seem to think it has been stretched over time as by doing what i explained hasnt helped on the right side of the board (where the control board is). So far though, out of 5 USB SBs 4 have been repaired and teachers have said they are working a lot better.

9. Thanks to timbo343 from:

gshaw (17th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post

We have to totally relay one of them though, as we seem to think it has been stretched over time as by doing what i explained hasnt helped on the right side of the board (where the control board is). So far though, out of 5 USB SBs 4 have been repaired and teachers have said they are working a lot better.
    Thanks for that @timbo343, when you say the 4 have been repaired is that something extra apart from relaying the board? If so who did the repair, was it Steljes?

Sounds like your boards are initial batches as well, SMART clearly had some quality control issues on those boards but wouldn't admit it which was very disappointing imo.
    Last edited by gshaw; 17th September 2012 at 12:29 PM.

Thank Post
    @gshaw. when i say repaired, i mean repaired by us in house by relaying the top part of the board. We have however got one board to fully relay, this is going to be fun. We have used double sided sticky tape to hold the top layer to the outer edge of the board and then used normal 2" tape to hold the edges in place before putting the plastic covers on. Steljes wouldn't touch them and said that we would have to find a replacement.

Thank Post
    Thanks, will give this a shot on one of our busted ones... got nothing to lose!

Did you figure this out just by taking the board apart and seeing what you could do with it or is there a website \ YouTube vid somewhere you followed?

Thank Post
    I just took it apart. Just be careful when you are lifting the top white surface. You will need to put the board face up and lift the top white surface up. It can feel really stuck at first, but dont be scared about pushing too hard, when you push it up, you will find its dead easy to lift up.

14. 2 Thanks to timbo343:

Duke5A (21st September 2012), gshaw (18th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    I just took it apart. Just be careful when you are lifting the top white surface. You will need to put the board face up and lift the top white surface up. It can feel really stuck at first, but dont be scared about pushing too hard, when you push it up, you will find its dead easy to lift up.
    I haven't had any issues yet, but I'm sure I'll run into it. We've got a fleet of old boards that were basically collecting dust for years until last school year. Does it look like it's just normal usage that causes the white surface to droop?

BTW - This is a great thread that will undoubtedly get indexed by Google (if it already hasn't). The information you posted here is going to help a lot of fellow technicians.

Thank Post
    Yeah, our boards have had nothing special done to them apart from been used though they are 6 years old. I think it could be a factor of the rise and fall of the temperatures and possibly static that has built up over the years but who knows.

Im yet to take apart the 580 board as they will need the corners cutting off and gluing back into place.

We only just repaired 2 more boards the other day but this time we used gaffer tape to secure the top layer in place and hold it tight rather than double sided tape. Jobs a good'un, boards feel tight like new and teachers love them.

Thank Post
    Ive created a document on how to correct alignment problems with smartboards just like in this video
    Problem with Smartboard alignment - Even after orientation. - YouTube
    Attached Files Attached Files

18. 5 Thanks to timbo343:

AngryTechnician (27th September 2012), dhoward_westexetc (10th October 2012), Duke5A (8th October 2012), gshaw (26th September 2012), Mullaney18 (26th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Awesome!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast