+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, User Profile Service Failed the Logon (New image only) in Technical; Ok, thanks for reading, this is going to get long so bear with me. Currently I work in the IT ...
    Thank Post

User Profile Service Failed the Logon (New image only)

Ok, thanks for reading, this is going to get long so bear with me.
    Currently I work in the IT department for a school district of 11,000 kids, 19 buildings, 6,000 networked devices and 1000 teachers. I've been here 8 years and most of that time our network was Win2k with NT domain controllers, local policies. We were never given the funds to upgrade. All of a sudden we got a new superintendent and there was unlimited funds that they funnelled to Dell to "upgrade" our infrastructure. Firstly we deployed 1000 Dell laptops to teachers. Then Dell sent a company in to upgrade every switch in every building. And also built a large data center and moved us to AD.
    Anyways, the teacher laptops were the first Win7 machines. I was not responsible for the image on those and they have been working great. Now with AD and KACE installed we have a new Director of Tech and he wants the entire district imaged up to Win7 or XP SP3 with our Microsoft EES agreement. The two sysadmins prior in charge of creating images have since left leaving me in charge with a group of 8 IT personnel. We are stretched thin, but promises of hiring 2-3 more are in the works.

These new images were put on my plate. I have made a 32 bit XP SP3 image, 32 bit Win7, and 64 bit Win7. The problem we are having is any mandatory student profile will not login on any of the images. We get user profile service failed the logon. These student profiles are located on linux samba shares in each building for now. There are plans to centralize but it's not happening this year. I will break it down

XP SP3 - Students can't login with mandatory profiles. Teachers can login fine.

Win7 32 bit and 64 bit - Students get the user profile service failed the logon and have never worked on these new images, all while every other teacher laptop, Vista, and Win2k image in the district prior to these does work.

Teachers can log into these images but get temp profiles. If I create a new user and profile on the windows DC the profiles load fine. I copied the .man.V2 folder to the DC and changed teh profile path in AD to see if that would allow the login. I get the same User Profile service failed the logon. I've opened up all perms on the profile as well.

I have scoured our old working windows 7 local group policies and applied them with no luck. Our new director's plans are to have no local group policies anymore and do it all with AD, security groups, and GPOs. The problem is I cannot go forward until I figure this out.

Policies I have set on the OU the machine is in:
    • computer config>admin templates>system>user profiles "Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders"
    • computer config>admin templates>system>user profiles "Delete cached copies of roaming profiles"
    • computer config>admin templates>system>user profiles "Do not detect slow network connections"
    • computer config>admin templates>system>user profiles "Wait for remote user profile"

I just feel like I'm going in circles trying to track this down and thought I'd see what you guys thought. At first I was thinking it's an AD Samba incompatibility issue, but the other images in the district are working fine. Thanks for reading and any insight!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What version of Samba are you running on those boxes? If it has been around that long then my money is on the Windows systems having problems gaining access to the mandatory profiles. That's why you're seeing teachers getting temporary profiles. I would try hosting those profiles off of a Windows 7 machine (strictly for testing) and seeing where it goes from there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    What version of Samba are you running on those boxes? If it has been around that long then my money is on the Windows systems having problems gaining access to the mandatory profiles. That's why you're seeing teachers getting temporary profiles. I would try hosting those profiles off of a Windows 7 machine (strictly for testing) and seeing where it goes from there.
    I will check the Samba version tonight when I go back to work to plug away at this. I will try copying the profile folder to a win7 box and see what happens. If I remember I did copy the profile to the win2k3 DC server and it still wouldn't load. I'll try that though to be sure. thanks!

Thank Post
    Ok, I VPNd in to try this.

I setup a share on a windows 7 box. Dropped in the wash.man.V2 folder. Set the permissions. Pointed the user profile in AD to \\10.21.100.26\profiles\wash.man

It logged in perfectly!

So where does that leave me? Currently the mandatory profiles are hosted on Linux servers in each school running Samba version 3.0.23c.

I copied the wash.man.V2 to the DC which is server 2k3 and the profile will not load once I redirect the profile path to there. Mind you, this is where all the Admin building profiles are stored and the same building as the data center, I just copied this profile from the win7 box to there. Every school has their own file sharing linux server to host home drives and profiles.

I just can't put 2 and 2 together as to why these new images aren't working with the samba shares when the old windows 7 image is sitting right next to me working perfect. ugh! I hate inheriting other peoples stuff! Thanks!

Thank Post
    Here's something I just noticed, when signed into the test image as a domain admin, I cannot access the linux servers through the samba shares. (start>run \\svr21001\ or \\10.21.1.10) I get unknown username or password. Ok, I think I'm onto something....found this while researching Samba and windows, sure enough it fixed my problem!

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > set Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Set to Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread