+ Post New Thread
Windows 7 Thread, Win 7 won't boot...... in Technical; Ok I am in IT so I have tried every recovery option known to man, just to save the obvious ...

Thank Post

Win 7 won't boot......

Ok I am in IT so I have tried every recovery option known to man, just to save the obvious answers......my question is, is there any way, or a tool I can use to repair an installation of windows on a secondary HDD.

What happened....

I tried to overclock my PC, failed miserably, let the PC turn on and off until it set itself back to the stock speed, however when I try to boot windows I get one of the little coloured windows, windows, appear for a second then it reboots.....over and over....

Tried all repair options, sfc etc but to no avail.....

What I have now done is stick a different primary HDD in and load windows onto that, which works a treat, just want to know if any of you good people know if I can fix the Win 7 install on the (now) secondary HDD using various tools etc, it's annoying MS changed the way you can now fix an install.....XP i'd have just run the CD over the top and all would be well with the world, however Win 7 the only way to do a re install bar wiping the HD is running the setup program again.....from within windows.....as i'm sure you're all thinking the same......if I could get into windows to do that....I wouldn't be here......

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andy

Thank Post
    You say you've "tried everything" but you also said you didn't use win7 install disk? There should be a repair option when you go to install, same as XP etc

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morphears View Post
    I tried to overclock my PC, failed miserably, let the PC turn on and off until it set itself back to the stock speed, however when I try to boot windows I get one of the little coloured windows, windows, appear for a second then it reboots.....over and over....
    If the BIOS reset itself to factory defaults, the hard drive might have been switched back into IDE mode instead of AHCI, resulting in a blue screen when you boot up Windows. It's very easy to fix.
    Last edited by Arthur; 1st September 2012 at 02:23 PM.

4. Thanks to Arthur from:

morphears (5th September 2012)

Thank Post
    There is a repair option indeed....which like I said, I have tried.....comes under the "Tried every recovery option know to man" (not sure where I said i didn't use win7 install disk) all the windows bits have been done, I am merely looking for someone who might know of a kind of offline recovery method where I can repair the windows 7 instance on a secondary HDD.....from within a working Win7 environment...

Thanks for your post, it's one of those things where I can happily see all my files on the other windows instance from this blank one, and could start again and copy stuff over, but I don't like to give up without a fight....like a dog with a bone me....

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @morphears:

This might sound stupid but since you have a primary HDD now running windows 7 why not copy those install files over the top of your other windows install which is not working, nothing to lose as you will still have access to your other files to copy back over if this doesn't work, you may find that could fix it?

You may have already tried this but then again you might not have!

Thank Post
    Going to try both of the above suggestions, bios sounds like a good shout, with regards to copying the install files over the top, do you mean the whole windows directory? Thanks for your suggestions....I'll let you know how I get on. :-)

Thank Post
    Arthur......you my friend are a beautiful beautiful human being.........switching back to ACHI has fixed it and she is running like a dream......LEGEND!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Excellent news!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread