+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
West Midlands Regional Broadband Consortium (WMnet) Thread, Zimbra Email BGFL? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Get a call today informing me That Link2ICt need to access our CMIS database to extract data for the new ...

Thank Post

Zimbra Email BGFL?

Get a call today informing me That Link2ICt need to access our CMIS database to extract data for the new email system they are hoping to have up and running in Feb half term?

EH! did i miss something!

and why do they need my Cmis data? Surley they would use the data from SINA? right? Logins etc..

anyone in the know?

Thank Post
    I'd be wary of that. Surely just an encrypted export of first name and surname would be sufficient for them to create an email address? CMIS will contain a lot more data than this which they absolutely do not need access too, at least to create an email address anyway. Either than or provide tools for schools to create their own addresses.

Thank Post
    Well for the username i would want it to be the same as our logins, which have 2 numbers at the end for the year they started.

cant think of any other reason why they would need data fo Zimbra

Thank Post
    Yeh, someone came on remotly last week (when i was off) and did the same. The secetary mumbled something about CMIS and Zimbra at me on Monday

Thank Post
    there is a document available now on ebriefing regarding zimbra.

Thank Post
    i Read it earlier today and as suspected Link2ict have decieded to implement their own username's hence extracting the data.

Staff get a completley new email address from what they have now here (first initial of first name.surname) i.e m.mitchell@domain.bham.sch.uk and studnets are ending up with 3 numbers i.e student012@domain.bham.sch.uk.

we currently use surname.first intial of first name+year of start i.e mitchellm09@ for students
    and staff get the same except for the number. This is the same as the domain login. So no confusion between the two.

Opened a call with Link2ict as i cant see why i cant keep my current email addess, logins. why can they just extract the current username from SINA?

Thank Post
    hmm, 150Mb limit on staff mailboxes. That could be fun, several of our staff have "slightly" more than that on SINA.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

Arrow

I did query this last week at one of my schools. I was under the impression it was possible to export existing e-mail addresses and e-mail boxes and import them into Zimbra? It's also unclear whether schools are going to keep their existing domain names or whether forwarders are going to be put in place?

It looks as if everyone's going to need to forward everything manually to their new Moodle address from reading the e-briefing PDF. Why BGFL haven't done themselves some favours and included LDAP to integrate with Active Directory I'll never know, but I will certainly ask tomorrow if I have some time

I can't actually access bgfl.org, ebriefing or VPN successfully at the time of writing. Looks like something's bust?

Thank Post
    We only found out about Zimbra yesterday and moodle is also going to be provided.

My boss just been on the phone to them asking a load of questions and from the looks of things, we still don't get external smtp and they won't let us provide a list of usernames for staff or students as they are following BECTA guidelines.

The staff accounts are not going to be too much of a problem as it won't be too difficult to set up forwarders for them. But for the students, I would prefer their e-mail addresses to be the same as their usernames for our system.

Ideally we would like staff and students to only ever need one user name and password, going with the BGFL mail system and moodle is going to mean everyone is going to have two to remember. Students currently struggle to remember the username and password for the one account they currently have....

We are seriously considering setting up our own internal system now instead.

Thank Post
    the problems we have had with Mymail , we have been considering setting up an exchange server for a while now.

but aparently Link2ict wont release the current domain to us.

Thank Post
    but aparently Link2ict wont release the current domain to us.
    I wouldn't expect BGFL to support Exchange Server directly, but they should make the necessary changes so all mail is forwarded to your internal Exchange Server. As for the web domain, if you do a 'whois' search, who is the domain registered to?

Thank Post
    we had them dialled in today to get data from cmis.

we do have an exchange server onsite fo staff only, so all staff sina emails are forwarded onto exchange. god knows how this all fits in with zimbra as they havent told us

Thank Post
    There's an updated PDF you can view here. Scroll to Page 2 for a FAQ

Thank Post
    Has anyone else decided to go with their own solution instead?

We have quite a few concerns about the system they are setting up, so have decided to look at installing Zimbra internally.

In all honesty, we had been thinking of doing this next summer anyway, we've just had to speed up our plans now.

Adam

Thank Post
    We have had our own exchange setup for some time now. BGFL did ring me to ask if we wanted to provide details so they can set up zimbra for us to look at though. I declined the offer. Firstly because we have a system that works for us, secondly the mailboxes would be too small for some of our users, and lastly, if BGFL+ is no longer available our subscription should decrease.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast