+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
West Midlands Regional Broadband Consortium (WMnet) Thread, Zimbra Email BGFL? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); What BGFL are doing with Moodle is definitely a positive move overall and a step in the right direction, however ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    What BGFL are doing with Moodle is definitely a positive move overall and a step in the right direction, however it will be impossible to please everyone.

My only concern with the guidelines is the new e-mail format recommended by Becta and adopted by BGFL. I understand the justifications behind it, but Becta and BGFL unfortunately have completely forgotten about the impracticalities of teaching younger pupils to learn and use e-mail. I know it's not just me that has this opinion.

Personally I think a more sensible option would be to make pupil e-mail accounts (for Primary, maybe not Secondary) internally available only and integrated with Active Directory. Half the battle is getting pupils to remember logon information.

Thank Post
    I agree - what BGFL and Link2ICT are doing with Moodle and Zimbra is a good thing. Unfortunately they came too late as we had implemented our own Moodle VLE and Exchange.

There was a time when BGFL were miles ahead of the others, now they seem to be struggling just to keep up.

Thank Post
    Hi Finally got my hands on Zimbra. All the staff accounts have been set up but only with 100mb limit - will need to check this out as documents said 150mb. Am also having to go through and set the first name, surname, display name etc etc. The system is set to "change password on first logon" - that will be interesting....... Students accounts are being set up my me but I have been warned I have follow the guidelines. The only concession I have got is that the last 3 digits I can decide upon so we are using 2 digits for year of entry and 3rd digit for form group. We are having the same problem with having another username/password. The logon is supposed to be ready for the single signon system they are implementing. We are all changing from BGFL Plus - single sign on for mail, VLE to 2 different systems - Moodle and Zimbra. So one would have assumed that the username would be the same for both. Wrong - I've been told the username format for Moodle is different because that is internal not external!!! We're having our Moodle training tomorrow so I'll find out more then.

The great bits about Zimbra are - shared calendars which work.
    Being able to see when someone who is in your contacts list is free so you can schedule a meeting
    Booking of resources

The bad bits are the current proxy settings don't allow Zimbra to send/receive external email. Apparently the change request was put in 3 weeks ago but hasn't been implemented yet

Have spent ages going through the accounts as above and thought I would finish it off tonight in the warmth(!) at home - what was I thinking the port is blocked from being accessed outside the grid!!!!! Oh well will just have to do it in the cold tomorrow.

Will update when I get more info.
    Looking forward to hearing how you guys are all getting on

Thank Post
    Oh forgot to say RSS feeds work in there too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    The great bits about Zimbra are - shared calendars which work.
    Being able to see when someone who is in your contacts list is free so you can schedule a meeting
    Booking of resources
    With the CMIS links, can the timetables be imported directly into Zimbra. I tried (but failed) to do that with SIMS - so instead we created a SIMS/Moodle Timetable module that just displays it in a block

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some other notable features of Zimbra that are worth getting to know are tags and search.

The interface is fairly Javascript-heavy (which isn't the strong point of IE7 & 8), so to make the most out of it I'd recommend using a Mozilla or Webkit -based browser such as Firefox or Safari/Chrome.

We run Zimbra internally here in conjunction with Mozilla Prism. Prism is a single-site browser - essentially the Firefox engine without the peripheral tabs, toolbars and bloat. It also means we can give our end users a proper "Email" icon that just launches Prism pointed at our Zimbra install.

Thank Post
    We are a SIMS school. But there are no links to the MIS. They only wanted to extract the data so they would "properly" set up the usernames as a "favour" to schools. However, I am told there Moodle has a link into SIMS so that we can comply with the reporting requirement for September 2010. I wonder how well that will work......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiverhamster View Post
    However, I am told there Moodle has a link into SIMS so that we can comply with the reporting requirement for September 2010. I wonder how well that will work......
    knowing the author of the SIMS2Moodle module, it's likely to work rather well

Thank Post
    Yeh that sounds like good news. Hopefully that will be one more thing ticked off the box. Tell me more....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The logon is supposed to be ready for the single signon system they are implementing. We are all changing from BGFL Plus - single sign on for mail, VLE to 2 different systems - Moodle and Zimbra. So one would have assumed that the username would be the same for both. Wrong - I've been told the username format for Moodle is different because that is internal not external!!! We're having our Moodle training tomorrow so I'll find out more then.
    Hmm so if I have understood correctly Moodle and Zimbra are not accessible with a single username and password (SSO) at the current time? This is going to be fun if that's the case. As time goes on I feel this isn't going to be a smooth switch over whatsoever. I hope I'm wrong!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a user of BGFL at all, but I see no reason why they couldn't use the Zimbra LDAP database as their Moodle authentication provider.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I'm not a user of BGFL at all, but I see no reason why they couldn't use the Zimbra LDAP database as their Moodle authentication provider.
    bye bye AD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    There is a single sign on block for Zimbra/Moodle - auth to moodle then SSO to zimbra
    http://moodle.schoolsict.net/2009/12...-on-sso-block/
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 1st February 2010 at 08:48 PM.

14. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

webman (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @CyberNerd: Or that... I think Bossman downloaded it a while ago but we haven't installed it yet.

Thank Post
    Sometimes I don't think they are in the real world - glad I'm not in the classroom with users having to use 3 logons and passwords!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast