+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Edugeek Joomla Package for static sites? in Coding and Web Development; Hello Guys, Just a little question. I have run into a problem where the edugeek joomla package kindly released by ...

Thank Post

Edugeek Joomla Package for static sites?

Hello Guys,

Just a little question. I have run into a problem where the edugeek joomla package kindly released by SYSMAN installed well on my server but the LEA (broadband sandwell) have stated that i cannot run anything other than static content. what i mean by this is MySQL cannot be used as they will not install it, which Joomla requires to run.

How can i still use the Edugeek package to build static pages (perhaps with a little flash to create the slideshow items) but without using Joomla?

I have tried to re-create the pages editing the template CSS files and PHP files but to no avail. I will be the first to say that i am a complete noob when it comes to CSS and web in general.

I have found a CSS layout doc that creates the three column CSS layout but i am stuck at getting the White background with the gradient fill behind it.

If any one can help me re-create this template design without the need for Joomla and also MySQL then that would be ace.

It has been such a PITA trying to get Joomla the go ahead with the LEA and their services.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Edugeek Joomla Package for static sites?

Which template are you wanting to use HodgeHi?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

'It has been such a PITA trying to get Joomla the go ahead with the LEA and their services.'

It doesn't sound like much of a service to me!

Thank Post

Just the default one.

I would prefer the complete Joomla install but they are being soooo fussy about it all.

Cheers for the fast response :-)

Sorry HodgeHi, do you mean the new default one?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

You say you've installed it on your server? is this for an internal site or a publically accessible one?

If it's for internal only and you have control of your server I don't see what it's got to do with your lea.

If your lea controls your internal server on your behalf find and unused reasonable spec machine and install ubuntu 6.10 LTS server on it as a lamp server and run it on that.

If it's for outside access buy some hosting, cheap enough, get your domain changed to point to the new hosting, cheap enough, bish bash bosh.

Ben

Thank Post

Sorry about the delay. I was eating lunch.

@SYSMAN

The old default profile the one with the blue header. (eg_default)

@plexer

It is installed on our internal server (Xserve) and runs perfectly well. But the issue is that we already have a external website but our hoster will not allow us to run any MySQL DB on thier server (broadband Sandwell). The LEA also hold the domain name for our school and will not re-point the domain name to our servers ip. We also have no control over the firewall as we have a leased line from RM.

So all in all to keep costs small, initially we would like to host a static site up on broadband sandwells server since we are having a new school built in a year anyway. We will then see what happens with regards to the webserver.

The LEA were also reluctant to help as they have no information about what is to happen to their webservers as a switch of contracts to BT to manage their ICT infrastructure is in progress.

Thank Post

If you have a .sch.uk domain it is registered to you.

Nominet can force a change to the dns servers to whoever you want i.e a new host that will allow mysql etc...

In theory if you have an external ip that routes to yuor webserver then you could move the dns elewhere that you can manage and then point this to your server.

The simplest way is to buy some new hosting though and have nominet change the dns to the new host.

Ben

Thank Post

You could get some really reasonable hosting nowadays. And if they won't point the name anywhere else, it is a simple matter to have your "official" site redirect to somewhere else I would think.

Andy

I should be able to sort out a static html page from the psd file, that be ok?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    You could get some really reasonable hosting nowadays. And if they won't point the name anywhere else, it is a simple matter to have your "official" site redirect to somewhere else I would think.

Andy
    That is what I did. Works brilliantly. No-one even uses the "old" domain name anymore either.

Thank Post

@SYSMAN,

Yeah that would be great and its very good of you. I would like to be able to manage the layout using CSS (with the same layout of the current look) as well though if thats not too much trouble. The reason being is that i showed the edugeek template the boss and the secretary (who designed the original external site) and they liked it so much that nothing else will really do. It HAS to be that one. And i don't blame them.

I thought about re-direction and may look into it as a viable solution but the problem then becomes working with a seperate ISP and while we are not part of the broadband sandwell network like the rest of the borough, when we move schools the plan is to be, which then raises another problem where the LEA will not allow us on their broadband connection when hosting our own services due to risk of being hacked.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi
    I thought about re-direction and may look into it as a viable solution but the problem then becomes working with a seperate ISP and while we are not part of the broadband sandwell network like the rest of the borough, when we move schools the plan is to be, which then raises another problem where the LEA will not allow us on their broadband connection when hosting our own services due to risk of being hacked.
    I, and I would guess the others who suggested it, don't mean switch ISPs. Just buy some external web hosting. FTP your site there. cPanel, or similar to set up your MySQL DBs, nice and easy, no messing - your broadband connection stays with your current supplier - you don't have any additional connections into the school which would contravene your T&Cs.

Andy

Thank Post

Exactly.

When someone types in your web address the dns servers will be the ones of the new host and will send the visitor to the right place.

This has nothing to do with your or the lea's internal dns servers or making any connections to your site.

Ben

@HodgeHi

Here you go. I just quickly sliced up my PSD template. Hope it is of some use.
    Attached Files Attached Files

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast