+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Max Upload Limit - PHP in Coding and Web Development; Ok, so I've just set up my first apache server running under windows and I'm very new to all this. ...
    Thank Post

Question Max Upload Limit - PHP

Ok, so I've just set up my first apache server running under windows and I'm very new to all this. I've configure everything to make it accessible externally and installed PHP V5.2.17 and Ajaxplorer V4.0.4.

Now, by default, it would appear that PHP limits the maximum upload to 2Mb but this is too small for me, so after some research I have altered the PHP settings to change the maximum upload size but it hasn't worked... Any ideas?

I have altered the following sections of the PHP file with no luck:
    memory_limit
    upload_max_filesize
    and
    post_max_size

Ajaxplorer doesn't have any limits, this is set purely by PHP as stated on their website.

I have uploaded the ini as a text file if this would be any help to anyone to help me and my test PHP can be accessed here. All changes appear to be displayed in here (The values are set quite high as I have tested from 10mb up to 100GB).

If you would like to login to the ajaxplorer to view it if this might help it can be accessed here
    Username: test
    Password: test123

I've restarted apache and the server various times after changes were made.

Any help appreciated - and I'm new to PHP and apache so please consider that in your answers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gtg93; 15th June 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After you made the changes did you restart the services?

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

gtg93 (15th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply but yes I've restarted the service after every change I've made and I've even tried restarting the server its self with no luck

Thank Post
    was you editing php.ini or php5.ini ?

6. Thanks to s_tu from:

gtg93 (15th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by s_tu View Post
    was you editing php.ini or php5.ini ?
    PHP.ini - There is no PHP5.ini on the machine (That I put there). There is a PHP5.dll, but not a PHP5.ini.

I followed the instructions here for installation of PHP on Apache, but I used the latest version of PHP from the PHP website. Obviously references to PHP4 was changed to PHP5 and the relevant files within the PHP5 folder. I am however running Apache 1.3 from here which I realise now is outdated but from what I read at the time, that wouldn't matter.

Thank Post
    Just tried Ajaxplorer V4.0.4 on my machine when changing upload limit in php.ini ajaxplorer would not reflect the changes of the upload size. For me reinstalling ajaxplorer would get the new upload limit.

9. Thanks to s_tu from:

gtg93 (15th June 2012)

Thank Post
    Many thanks - I will give that a try

Thank Post
    So I've tried reinstalling jaxplorer as mentioned and now it will not load at all - just gives me the "Page Can Not Be Displayed Error" as though the files aren't actually there. The site its self worked just no Ajaxplorer. :/

I think I'm gonna start from scratch - that way it also gives me a reason to update to the latest version of Apache.

I'm sure I'll be back if I'm still stuck :P Thanks for your help so far anyway.

Thank Post
    Just a thought- have you tried creating a .htaccess file (if one doesn't exist already) and putting the new values in there?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crutchfieldj View Post
    Just a thought- have you tried creating a .htaccess file (if one doesn't exist already) and putting the new values in there?
    I haven't no. I looked at this after reading something about it online but I also read that this was a Linux file and I'm running it under Windows? I've no idea myself to be honest.

What else would need to be in the file and where would I save it? Sorry if it's a basic question but as I said I'm new to this.

Cheers

Thank Post
    By the way - the links are currently down because my server is off. I've not finished sorting the ne version out so I thought it pointless to have it running for now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    I haven't no. I looked at this after reading something about it online but I also read that this was a Linux file and I'm running it under Windows? I've no idea myself to be honest.

What else would need to be in the file and where would I save it? Sorry if it's a basic question but as I said I'm new to this.

Cheers

It should work under windows as long as you're using apache. Create a file named .htaccess (no extension, just .htaccess) and put the following in:

php_value upload_max_filesize 20M <<<CHANGE THIS
    php_value post_max_size 20M <<<CHANGE THIS to slightly more than the first value.

save it in your sites root directory.

Thank Post
    A lot of the time those values will be ignored in .htaccess. Make a script in your main web directory called info.php with the following code, go to the page and find the PHP Configuration line, it'll tell you which configuration file it's loading and what values it's reading.

PHP Code:
    <?php phpinfo();?>

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gtg93 View Post
    By the way - the links are currently down because my server is off. I've not finished sorting the ne version out so I thought it pointless to have it running for now.
    Did you make any progress with this? I stumbled upon this thread because I'm facing a similar situation and plan to post a question about this and some related general questions shortly.

I'm using xampp which, as you may be aware, has Apache, PHP and MySQL. The project that I'm investigating will involve uploading files (LAN, rather than WAN!) that may be 100MB, 500MB or more.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread