+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Best host for a small business + website creator? in Coding and Web Development; Hi all, Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a small business (but not e-commerce) host? I know this ...
    Thank Post

Best host for a small business + website creator?

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a small business (but not e-commerce) host? I know this isn't exactly school related but you lot know what you're talking about on most things!

It's basically a small sports team, and while they don't sell anything per se, they do have commercial sponsors so really need a business rather than personal site. I'm familiar with web design and web servers, but only when it comes to doing it in-house, I've never really gone with third-party hosting before.

Requirements would be the usual - basic website with a blog, photo galleries, ability to embed videos (host on YouTube/Vimeo?), events calendar, etc. As the site will be managed by someone else I need a proper CMS, be it Wordpress, Joomla or a proprietary system. I'd want the host to manage updates and security for it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for places that will do domain registration, host the site, provide email addresses, and offer a simple website creator (either a managed Wordpress install or their own system)?

Ideally I'd want something UK based, but I've seen very mixed reviews for 1&1 and 123Reg. Bluehost seemed to get good reviews, but I've seen you guys mention Velox and CSNM? It needs to be something that can be managed by a non-tech person once it's been set up!

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Avoid 1&1 like the plague. They are a terrible company with terrible service.

I personally use Hydro Host who have given a very personal, friendly and knowledgeable service over the years. You can install Wordpress automatically through CPanel, and are notified when updates are available. Updates are installed through 1/2 clicks in WP Admin panel.

I tend to register .UK domains through LCN as I buy and sell domains often, they give me preferred rates. Very simple system to register there. They do hosting too, with one-click installs, but I haven't used it so cannot say either way.

Other great hosts include MKHosting and United Hosting. All mentioned are UK based.

Just please avoid 1&1, Namesco, Fasthosts.

--
    P.S. The reason for my hatred of 1&1 is that apart from frequent downtime, they do not charge you when you think. They set up a direct debit for a couple of months' time. If you cancel your account, you will be presented with demands for payment, which are very quickly sold off to debt collectors. Even if you legitimately cancel your account.
    --
    P.P.S I have been a professional web designer/developer all my life, so if you need any help with anything at all, please PM it's no trouble!

3. Thanks to MattHarwood from:

Duke (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    Awesome, thanks - I'll give them a look!

1&1 look nice when you view their site but the reviews seem awful!

Thank Post
    Howdo, I use Web Hosting Services in the UK from WebHostingBuzz for my own hosting (which is a reseller package) but they are really good with support and all that jazz and I've always had great response from their customer service.

They have all the usual 1 Click Install features (including various blogs / CMS scripts / etc) so it's all very easily managed through the cPanel, as well as Google Apps integration support as well, which is nice if you want to use a familiar email and document cloud system with your own domain and what not.

I would also agree with 1&1 being rubbish - I don't even use them for domain registration anymore - slowly moving all my domains away as they come up for renewal - simply because they just are not helpful in the slightest. I personally use Cheap Domain Names Registration, Domain Transfer, SSL Certificates, Free DNS, Privacy Protection • Namecheap.com for my domain registrations at the moment as I get great rates and great customer service again.

6. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Duke (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    I use xilo.net (for cheap but cheerful) and csnewmedia.co.uk for something a little more robust (better customer service).

8. Thanks to mossj88 from:

Duke (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies - all greatly appreciated!

Has anyone got any experience with Vidahost, Hostgator or iPage?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

I used Hostgator around 7/8 years ago, can't remember any huge issues. These three (I'm not 100%) are all not UK based though, and also oversell (basically, they guess you aren't going to use what they give you, and cram more users on the same server).

11. Thanks to MattHarwood from:

Duke (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    I used hostgator for 4 months last year, they aren't a bad host but when I went to leave I had issues...

- The live support chat, had a queue of around 40 customers in front of me (this was an off peak time)

- Then after getting a link from them, I had to go to a web form submit my details, then I had to confirm the form by email, then I had to email a separate address, then I had to wait a few days and reply to another email to confirm everything

13. Thanks to mossj88 from:

Duke (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post

A friend of mine swears by HostGator. I've not tried their package myself, but he's got his head pretty much screwed on when it comes to this stuff. He hosts all his stuff on there. I think it's the Baby Plan he has ($7.16 (apx 4.60) / month).

15. Thanks to soveryapt from:

Duke (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    You guys are awesome as ever - cheers!

17. Thanks to Duke from:

soveryapt (23rd January 2012)

Thank Post
    You guys are awesome as ever - cheers!
    No worries

Thank Post
    Just a quick update - I went with Vidahost in the end as they had a huge amount of positive reviews from people running small businesses, which is the closest thing to what this is for. Prices seem good, support is all UK-based and they answer very quickly, setup process was very simple.

Thanks again for all the input and for steeping me clear of 1&1!

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just a quick update - I went with Vidahost in the end as they had a huge amount of positive reviews from people running small businesses, which is the closest thing to what this is for. Prices seem good, support is all UK-based and they answer very quickly, setup process was very simple.

Thanks again for all the input and for steeping me clear of 1&1!

Chris
    We use Vidahost at work and I'm now using their Cloud package for all the personal sites I run as well. Good choice

21. Thanks to webman from:

Duke (25th January 2012)

Thank Post
    UKWSD always for me - they call themselves a 'premium' host however they arn't much more expensive than most others.
    That little bit extra does show in their speed of service and in some of the very nice addons you get (e.g. none of this free Google Adwords rubbish but 2x daily backups which are easy to restore from, cPanel (which is worth its weight in gold) and DNS management).

Their support is second to none as well and thats out of all of the IT companys I have ever delt with.

23. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Duke (25th January 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread