+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, DNS and Web Forwarding clarification in Coding and Web Development; I've read lots and have got loads of words swimming around in my head (DNS, A Records, www, CNAMES, framed ...

Thank Post

DNS and Web Forwarding clarification

I've read lots and have got loads of words swimming around in my head (DNS, A Records, www, CNAMES, framed web forwarding, transparent etc.) but need some clarification.

I want to transfer existing domains to a provider and have them pointed at a server instance on Amazon. I won't be running the instances all the time because it is just for testing and experimenting purposes but when I do have them running I want to be able to type in the name of the website and have it reach the server, rather than remembering the IP address.

FYI: I purchased one domain using free parking .co .uk and they plonk their own favicon on and when you look at the code it is in a frame instead of the lovely, optimised HTML I like to write and see. I don't want it like this.

Can I do what I want? Do all except free parking do it and I was just unlucky with my first choice?

P.S. I've searched the forums and 123-reg comes up as does Carl, easily and a few others but I would like to know about my specific issue rather than a general recommendation for a domain registration company.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    most decent DNS hosts allow you to change records through a web interface, others may need a change request form. once you've bought a domain you can host the DNS records where you choose; just supply your old host with the tag of your new host.

free parking usually is just an a or cname record to an arbitrary page. once you've changed the record it will link to your website.

Thank Post
    I've changed the A or CNAME record on the website but they still plonk their own favicon on even though it directs to a site not hosted with them.

I want to buy a name (or pay the renewal fee on a name) and log in and say 'the website is hosted at http://www.example.co.uk.s3-website-...amazonaws.com/'

Then when I go to example.co.uk it serves the site from the S3 bucket but the user is none the wiser.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stickyfoot View Post
    I've changed the A or CNAME record on the website but they still plonk their own favicon on even though it directs to a site not hosted with them.

I want to buy a name (or pay the renewal fee on a name) and log in and say 'the website is hosted at http://www.example.co.uk.s3-website-...amazonaws.com/'

Then when I go to example.co.uk it serves the site from the S3 bucket but the user is none the wiser.
    If you have changed the A/CNAME record to the IP address AWS will have provided you with for your website (I am assuming they do?) all requests to your domain.com will be sent to the AWS server - it should totally bypass your domain host.

If it is not working like that, and a ping of your domain or whois does not show it pointing at AWS then they either don't allow it or you haven't done something right.

I haven't any experience with AWS or your domain DNS host.

If all else fails, move to another decent domain host by transferring it (to 123-reg or similar) by requesting a IPS tag change.

Thank Post
    If its a free .co.uk the compromise was probably that their favicon is on every page and they display everything in an ugly iframe.

If you can change DNS records directly, add an A record to the public IP of your EC2 instance.
    If you can change the domain's nameservers, try another DNS host (cloudflare is good) and use them for your DNS records.
    Otherwise, i recommend transferring your domain.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread