+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Web Development Thread, New school website - Joomla or Wordpress? in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by aptproductions Hi Samo and welcome to EduGeek .. That all depends on whether you're simply giving access ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Hi Samo and welcome to EduGeek ..

That all depends on whether you're simply giving access to a prewritten system that is separate from WordPress/Joomla or whether you are looking to have the database coded into the site itself. If it's the first, then it's as broad as long really as they can both link to external resources that way, if you're wanting to code a plugin for a site though, this is a different matter entirely.

I guess then it would be down to your own competence with the 2 platforms. I find that WordPress is a lot easier to work with and a lot easier for End User interaction, but as some have pointed out, you can sometimes find yourself a bit limited by the plugins available, though this is rapidly changing as more and more people write "proper website" plugins for WordPress.

In terms of the database design (which leads me to think you don't actually have a system in place), they both run on the PHP5/MySQL combo, so that is what you would be looking to write in.

I hope this helps a bit, but if you posted further information with regards to the database you talk of (is it preexisting of are you looking to create one) that would help.

Best Wishes
    Andy

Thank you aptproduction for your prompt response. I have used Wordpress to design some sites and know a bit of phpmysql ( I use wamp and dreamweaver) but I wanted to try my hands on the second option i.e. wanting to code a plugin for the site. I have never really hosted a site on Joomla but have dabled into it, but I think that Joomla seems to be more robust than wordpress and for my kind of site which needs constant updating by the school admin and online checking of results, I was thinking of a good plugin that could work. Please any recommendation for Joomla or wordpress.
    Thank you

Thank Post
    Hi

We have move to Drupal, had a look at Joomla, wordpress movable type and some of the others and found Drupal worked for us.

Paul

Thank Post
    I can understand why someone would choose WP for a small site and it's probably a little easier to administrate than Joomla. But i've always preferred Joomla to WP or other CMS, mostly because i've used it more. Joomla is very good, there's a lot of great free and commercial extensions available, pretty steap learning curve for an administrator though. Drupal is also a great platform to create complex sites, but I'm not a fan of it just because I don't wanna learn another system. Joomla meets all my current requirements. I don't think there's a "best one" of them.... it depends on your goal and technical expertise. There are some useful resources which can help you have a right choice when choosing your needed CMS. I recommend two pages providing a comparison chart of WordPress, Joomla and Drupal: WordPress vs Joomla vs Drupal and CMS Comparison: Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress | Knowledge Center | Rackspace Hosting. Both present the information in an easy-to-understand format. Besides the three mentioned programs and before making your final decesion I also recommend to consider other content manageent systems. A full list of them is available at List of content management systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. But the most popular ones are presented on Script List | SimpleScripts. Platforms on SimpleScripts are categorized and this helps you make your decesion more easily.

Thank Post
    Hi emaderam, the last reply before yours was 3 years ago, sometimes threads that are suggested as "similar" under a discussion are well out of date - I've fallen into that trap myself.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12