+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Your opinion needed on web design in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by daverage I am a professional web designer. Really? 8O Seriously though - Designing a site to specification ...
    Thank Post

Re: Your opinion needed on web design

Quote Originally Posted by daverage
    I am a professional web designer.
    Really? 8O

Seriously though - Designing a site to specification is one thing but to do it badly is another. It would be like asking for Fish and Chips - how often do you ask for them to be cooked?

I'm no web expert but 7 months to put together a moodle site of any description is disgusting.

Thank Post

Really?
    Git

Thank Post

[quote="alan-d"]
    Quote Originally Posted by daverage
    It would be like asking for Fish and Chips - how often do you ask for them to be cooked?

I'm no web expert but 7 months to put together a moodle site of any description is disgusting.
    Exactly. I'll testify in court too...

You've plenty of support here mark...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think the best option is to print out the site a hundred times, bundle it together and hit the designer with it. Might knock some sense into them

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

I think it's brilliant and you have nothing to complain about

8-[

*Collects £10 from under the table*

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by rosst
    If you think his is bad take a look at the one they've landed us with - http://builth.epowys.net
    Yup, truly fugly.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    This is done in-house by one of our technicians. He was specifically employed with 'web design' in his job description. There's no backend CMS, it's basically done using Dreamweavers templating system.
    Surely in the days of Web 2.0 thats a web crime in itself ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The system (or lack of it) was inherited.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

ok, meeting was today.

The Head of IT at the FE College, chairing the meeting, hurriedly asked for peoples opinions. I managed to get out about the large graphic centre stage being in the way of content.

She retorted with "your SMT person saw it yesterday and liked it, and your Head will see it tomorrow" or: 'you have no backing for your opinions'. I said that these were the opinions of many people i'd consulted, and not just on our schools site.

She then said "it's too late now to do anything about it". To which I replied "This is the first time we've been allowed to comment".

Apparently DELLS like what's been done so far, but are withdrawing financial support for now. The college will fund maintenance until the end of June (yeah right - still employ the FE moodle coder like they always did), and we'll see what hapens after that.

We got a tour of all sites on the server, accompanied by the usual "ooh lovely" "oh I like that" comments from the in house press ganged fan club. No one else said a thing on the subject.

It's so sad that with so many excellent examples of great work done already in other authorities, that work as low quality as this can happen.

Teachers are dissilusioned and are setting up their own installations on their private webspaces. Students think it's butt ugly and dated. Parents and the public think the same as the kids. 4 schools already (out of 13) have solid intentions of going it alone on a completely different route (Sharepoint/ RM/ their own moodle install).

Such a sad sad waste of a golden opportunity.

Thank Post

I've just started work today on our moodle installation which is due to go live in September. Having never actually set up moodle before, I was surprised when I managed to get the basic system up and functional within about 20 minutes! (I already have a webserver with apache and mySQL)

I'm now customising it for the school (I'm only doing the look of the site, the director of ICT is responsible for the actual content and functionality) I don't expect this to take any longer than a couple of weeks to get the look right, so 7 months to produce what is effectively a very straightforward customisation of moodle is outragious I.M.O

Saying that, our website is a classic example of a school being ripped off. We paid around £5k for our site (www.nbc.medway.sch.uk) although it's not bad, works well and does everything we need it to, it's a complete rip off at the price, and doesn't do anything that couldn't be achieved with a joomla based site which wouldn't have cost the school a penny. Ah well, SLT will never learn to listen, they hear the words 'free' and equate this with 'poor' or 'un-reliable' and won't listen no matter how many time you try to explain!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

I heard a good phrase today to combat the anti-free arguement.

"The cost is slightly reduced compared to some other sites but this is partly due to the model of development being more concentrated on having it set up as school-centric rather than a costly technology-centric model."

You just know I am going to include that as my example of manglement speak for the future.

Translation : We can aford to hsot it on a decent machine and pay for someone to have time to set it up in-house, as we are not paying lots of money to an outside company for licenses, etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

That's a lot of what has gone on here Mike. The SMT saw that they were getting professional web design services for free (the LEA paid), so they jumped at the chance. As we techs were immediately dismissive of the quality, the college quickly turned their attention to those who were content to put up with it, just because they knew no better.

Thank Post

Hi All

I think the main problem here is with the CIF funding. To qualify for this 'they' were required to show that the project involved a collaboration between schools, and other training suppliers. The idea of standardising the front ends of the site probably stems from this.

Personally, I would rather see the plain default that we worked with while the graphic designer toiled away mashing the pixels to create the masterpieces that now adorn the sites.

I would guess that 'people' in the know might be rushing off as we speak to set up their own VLEs using Moodle somewhere free of CP interventions.

Bob

Thank Post

Couldn't you just quietly make up your own templates and slip them up?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SMT wanna toe the line so I doubt we'll get away with it. So I'm going to have to administer it as it is. A lovely surprise was the salmon pink confirmation box! Our IT Staff want to use their own site, with their own template.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast