+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, School Website Advertising in Coding and Web Development; Hi, I've been tasked with adding some sort of advertising to our website to create an extra revenue stream for ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

Question School Website Advertising

Hi,

I've been tasked with adding some sort of advertising to our website to create an extra revenue stream for the school. The only problem is personally I hate advertising and, after creating the site myself, I don't want to laden it with anything that will make it look bad. We generally get around 100,000+ page views a month for the site and I know it could make money, the question is - what's the best way to do it?

The school wanted to offer it to businesses when they purchase paper advertising with us for events etc, this will probably involve me creating each individual advert to fit the with the site - so I don't really have time for that idea.

Any ideas are welcome, I can't post the link yet as this is my first post...

Cheers!

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Here is the link Brighouse High School

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    As a school we shy away from this, though it was considered by our Parents Associaition for some of their stuff... mostly because it might look like we are verifying the business that is advertising. We don't want to have to deal with an angry parent should something go wrong.

Perhaps Google-ads is the way forward; though filtering them for appropriacy can be a pain - I know ZH took a while to fine tune them on here.

4. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Coopeh (4th December 2010)

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Thanks elsiegee40 - I'm not overly keen on the quality of the Google Adsense ads from using them a couple of years ago, unless they've changed. It was more of a question of placement and ideas for where to get good quality ads, if they exist!

Thank Post
    You could look at Community websites - powered by Localbiz—Localbiz Project, linking education with enterprise, we have one but don't use it as a revenue stream, but I'm sure it could be turned into this.

7. Thanks to teejay from:

Coopeh (4th December 2010)

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Not sure what that is exactly? You create your own Localbiz profile site? Possible idea, then I don't have to create any ads on the main site. Probably wouldn't get as much attention though and wouldn't make any money.

I've put an Adsense banner on the pages and news posts right at the bottom so I'll monitor how that goes.

Hate the idea of advertising but it is a changing world and new ideas on how to create extra revenue are always welcome, so I can see why they want to give it a go.

Thank Post
    You set up a localbiz portal site and use it as part of the curriculum in business studies to create a local community site and get local businesses to advertise on it and you get the revenue from the charges to the businesses who advertise on it. You just create a link to it from your main website and promote it to parents. Works very well, ours gets used pretty well.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Interesting! I'll have a word with our Business dept. Cheers for that!

Thank Post
    Posted removed due to unauthorised advertising
    Please contact us for details on how to advertise
    Last edited by john; 27th February 2011 at 05:41 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread