+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Web Development Thread, Booking System in Coding and Web Development; Our booking system was outdated (VB6 I think it was done in) so, after finding no nice clean alternatives that ...

Thank Post

Booking System

Our booking system was outdated (VB6 I think it was done in) so, after finding no nice clean alternatives that did what we wanted on the web I got to designing my own. The majority of development is now finished and we've rolled it out in school to trial.

Uploaded a few screenshots for those that are interested. Once we are happy it works as needed I will get about releasing this to the public.

Attachment 8554Attachment 8553Attachment 8552Attachment 8555Attachment 8556

2. Thanks to Hightower from:

zag (24th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Looks promising

First questions are:

1) What are system requirements
    2) Does it import bookings from sims?
    3) Does it do 2 week timetables?
    4) Can it use LDAP (and also possibly SSO)?

Sorry for all the questions

4. Thanks to siuko from:

Hightower (16th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by siuko View Post
    Looks promising

First questions are:

1) What are system requirements
    2) Does it import bookings from sims?
    3) Does it do 2 week timetables?
    4) Can it use LDAP (and also possibly SSO)?

Sorry for all the questions
    1) Just needs a WAMP/LAMP server - PHP & MySQL
    2) No imports from SIMS
    3) It doesn't yet - I designed it for use at my school which is 1 week timetabled, but it is something I plan to change in future development
    4) Yes, it is designed to use LDAP. There is a really good booking system that @Webman: has designed, but v1 doesn't do LDAP which is the main reason I set about designing this as it is a big requirement of ours.

Once I have trialled it I plan to open a page on my website for feature/requests and bug reporting etc as although it now does everything we require a booking system to do, I wish to continue building on it.

Thank Post
    Looks good - keep up the hard work

7. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

Thank Post
    Keep us posted. Looks interesting.

9. Thanks to kestrel1 from:

Thank Post
    BookIt v0.1 (Beta Release)

Any feedback please PM me or use the Contact Form on the link.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hightower, I love the clean look to it. Just a few thoughts by just looking through the demo (I will try the beta soon).
    - Could the date be a calendar style, so for staff wanting to book two weeks on Wednesday for example can just see a calendar and click that date to load that week (obviously I don't know how much work is involved or if its feasible).
    - I understand the login uses LDAP, and it's designed for WAMP not IIS, but could I for instance remove the login button and just have it do authentication in IIS so they dont need to click on a login box, it automatically pops up? Or perhaps it uses the current login name as authentication?
    - perhaps (again this might be in here i haven't tried the beta yet) the option for staff to enter not only the class name, but also the lesson. so teacher x goes to book room y with class z, but are they in there teaching maths or science? maybe just a drop down list of lessons which an admin inputs?

Looks amazing though, will definitely give it a run

Thank Post
    I've downloaded and installed the beta, one problem I ran into is when going into settings, settings.php looks to your server to get the latest version it came up with error 'connection refused'. I've navigated round this problem for now by creating my own bookitversion.txt locally and pointing to that.

I'm not sure if the original error is a permissions error as I've had a look and the file is definitely there on your server.

Looks good so far though, this may be exactly what I've been after.

Thanks,

Dan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    - Could the date be a calendar style, so for staff wanting to book two weeks on Wednesday for example can just see a calendar and click that date to load that week (obviously I don't know how much work is involved or if its feasible).
    - I understand the login uses LDAP, and it's designed for WAMP not IIS, but could I for instance remove the login button and just have it do authentication in IIS so they dont need to click on a login box, it automatically pops up? Or perhaps it uses the current login name as authentication?
    - perhaps (again this might be in here i haven't tried the beta yet) the option for staff to enter not only the class name, but also the lesson. so teacher x goes to book room y with class z, but are they in there teaching maths or science? maybe just a drop down list of lessons which an admin inputs?
    Date can be a calendar, and I have added this to list of things to do.

Got your PM about IIS and I am looking into this now, to see exactly what I can do with it.

Can definately add a lesson field to the booking

Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I've downloaded and installed the beta, one problem I ran into is when going into settings, settings.php looks to your server to get the latest version it came up with error 'connection refused'. I've navigated round this problem for now by creating my own bookitversion.txt locally and pointing to that.

I'm not sure if the original error is a permissions error as I've had a look and the file is definitely there on your server.

Looks good so far though, this may be exactly what I've been after.

Thanks,

Dan
    Thanks for the feedback - will look into why this may not be working. Seemed to work fine for me though - could it be the address is blocked where you are?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Thanks for the feedback - will look into why this may not be working. Seemed to work fine for me though - could it be the address is blocked where you are?
    I can open bookitversion.txt in a web browser manually, not sure why settings.php didn't. Having said that it very well could be the YHGfL blocking access (they like to do silly things like that).

Something else I've just found (sorry) is when clicking on the edit images button for an item upon clicking cancel taking me to
    Code:
    http://helpdesk/bookit/index.php/item/view/modalbox.hide%28%29
    I get.
    Code:
    An Error Was Encountered

The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.
    Clicking either Upload or the cross works fine.

Thats is for errors. Another question I have is, I have 30 Nintendo DSs is there any way to upload a csv or similar to save me having to enter each one individually?

Thanks,

Dan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    I can open bookitversion.txt in a web browser manually, not sure why settings.php didn't. Having said that it very well could be the YHGfL blocking access (they like to do silly things like that).

Something else I've just found (sorry) is when clicking on the edit images button for an item upon clicking cancel taking me to
    Code:
    http://helpdesk/bookit/index.php/item/view/modalbox.hide%28%29
    I get.
    Code:
    An Error Was Encountered

The URI you submitted has disallowed characters.
    Clicking either Upload or the cross works fine.

Thats is for errors. Another question I have is, I have 30 Nintendo DSs is there any way to upload a csv or similar to save me having to enter each one individually?

Thanks,

Dan
    CSV is a possibility, but not an over-nighter. Can you leave that one with me and I will definately look into it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    CSV is a possibility, but not an over-nighter. Can you leave that one with me and I will definately look into it.
    Yeah of course, for now I've just imported a csv into mysql which seems to have worked ok.

Great bit of software though, previously I've been using mrbs to book laptops and equipment, but this is so much cleaner easier for staff to use.

Keep up the good work.

thanks,

Dan

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like the look from the screenshots. However it looks very similar to an online web-based facility from Room Booking System - Online Room Booking Software, we bought into them in my previous school. Just worth a thought before releasing to all.

Thank Post
    Do you have a bug tracker available yet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I like the look from the screenshots. However it looks very similar to an online web-based facility from Room Booking System - Online Room Booking Software, we bought into them in my previous school. Just worth a thought before releasing to all.
    Just took a look at the screenshots to that, and I think BookIt looks a lot different, and is probably lacking a lot of the features they have there at the moment. I've not researched any booking system to 'rip off' when designing this - just merely designed it around our needs as a school, and this is what came out.

Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Do you have a bug tracker available yet?
    I don't - can you recommend a WordPress plugin that can do this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast