+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Booking System in Coding and Web Development; One thing to remember when doing the 2 week timetable bit is to look at how to manage holidays. Some ...

Thank Post
    One thing to remember when doing the 2 week timetable bit is to look at how to manage holidays. Some holidays are 2 weeks which causes no problems, some are 1 which obviously puts your timetable out by a week (assuming thats how your school handles holidays). Its my main gripe with MRBS.

Good work, looks alot nicer than most in the context of schools.

2. Thanks to j17sparky from:

Hightower (18th November 2010)

Thank Post
    That would fit - this is a new server that hasn't run LDAP before. Cheers!

Edit: got that working, just playing with the user credentials now.
    Last edited by 3s-gtech; 18th November 2010 at 07:04 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    One thing to remember when doing the 2 week timetable bit is to look at how to manage holidays. Some holidays are 2 weeks which causes no problems, some are 1 which obviously puts your timetable out by a week (assuming thats how your school handles holidays). Its my main gripe with MRBS.

Good work, looks alot nicer than most in the context of schools.
    That's an extremely valid point, one which I have overlooked. It should be fine for 2 week holidays like Xmas and Easter, but for half terms it will mess things up. Something to look into a solution for.....

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I always imaged having a "week a" and "week b" and "holiday" icon on each week that could be toggled. No need for any complicated logic really as the timetables are a bit random sometimes.

Might be an idea anyway to solve the above problem

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I always imaged having a "week a" and "week b" and "holiday" icon on each week that could be toggled. No need for any complicated logic really as the timetables are a bit random sometimes.

I was thinking along the lines of having a list of holidays, which act as an exclusion. Then you just need to quickly put in the start date of each week you need to exclude and it does the rest.

Will look into your idea too zag, but it sounds a lot more work so might be a one for the future.

Thank Post
    Okay people, a pre-release 0.3 demo is online to have a play, but not available for download yet as I am still tweaking. Just put it on to show the changes that I made last night. Cinema tonight for me so no coding, but I hope to have 0.3 out over the weekend sometime so sit tight.

8. 3 Thanks to Hightower:

3s-gtech (19th November 2010), bladedanny (19th November 2010), zag (22nd November 2010)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking good

Just out of interest, what code are you using for the animated pop up input menus?

I'd like to use that on another php project I'm doing.
    Last edited by zag; 22nd November 2010 at 10:01 AM.

Thank Post

I built a similar PHP system in uni, and to calculate holidays you entered the start and finish dates. I think yours is the better idea, though. Just click on which weeks are holidays and have the system work out the logic for pushing weeks A and B into the right place. A little drop-down toggle on the weeks immediately following a holiday could then let you choose which week to start on if the system calculated wrongly.

Thank Post
    Looking good

Just out of interest, what code are you using for the animated pop up input menus?

I'd like to use that on another php project I'm doing.
    ModalBox — An easy way to create popups and wizards

Thank Post
    Is it possible to set how far in advance a room could be booked, with a custom setting for each room? Otherwise, we may have problems with staff block booking just-in-case, and hogging rooms! Apart from a couple of LDAP quirks (probably relating to my AD structure) it's working nicely here, not live yet but could be.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Is it possible to set how far in advance a room could be booked, with a custom setting for each room? Otherwise, we may have problems with staff block booking just-in-case, and hogging rooms! Apart from a couple of LDAP quirks (probably relating to my AD structure) it's working nicely here, not live yet but could be.
    Thanks for the feedback. At the moment to system is only set so admin users can block book. The theory behind that is that we put all the timetabled lessons in at the start of the year, and the staff are not allowed to block book. If they want more than one session they have to do each manually, which makes them think more about which sessions they need.

I'm currently working on the holiday bit that was mentioned, which is not a simple solution, but definately worthwhile for schools. After that, I will take a look into allowing staff a block booking for 'x' amount of weeks.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I'm currently working on the holiday bit that was mentioned, which is not a simple solution, but definately worthwhile for schools. After that, I will take a look into allowing staff a block booking for 'x' amount of weeks.
    The way our current system works is that the staff can only see a certain number of weeks in advance. Admin staff can see all dates.

Its a pretty simple way of restricting it. I personally don't see any need for staff to make block bookings, infact I actively discourage it.

Thank Post
    HI,

Just come across the system and must admit am very impressed with it, like the simple clean look and plan to implement it in our school. One question though is can the system send an email when a booking is made on particular rooms? When setting up a room could you nominate an email address to notify of the user that has booked it?

Cheers and keep up the good work!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scsitsupport View Post
    HI,

Just come across the system and must admit am very impressed with it, like the simple clean look and plan to implement it in our school. One question though is can the system send an email when a booking is made on particular rooms? When setting up a room could you nominate an email address to notify of the user that has booked it?

Cheers and keep up the good work!
    In the 'to do jobs' for v0.4 - thanks for the feedback.

Thank Post
    v0.3 demo looks good. CSV upload looks great, one thing that would be usefull is to batch edit the picture file.

Thanks,

Dan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast