+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Argh! IE7 screws up my site! in Coding and Web Development; I've had a rant about Internet Explorer before, but this just takes the micky. Why on Gods green earth does ...

Thank Post

Argh! IE7 screws up my site!

I've had a rant about Internet Explorer before, but this just takes the micky. Why on Gods green earth does my website work in IE6 and firefox but NOT IE7?

*REMOVED*

Does anyone know IE7 well enough yet to tell me what code it hates?

Thanks

Thank Post

Re: Argh! IE7 screws up my site!

Whats not correct. All looked OK when i clicked your link in IE7.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers
    Whats not correct. All looked OK when i clicked your link in IE7.
    Seriously? The top of the page is misaligned in mine. Where the blue/white curves are is completely out of place.

Thank Post

Yeah, the logo corners are misaligned in IE7.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've fixed that before - it's a simple tweak - I even left a fix on their forums...

(you're not supposed to move the credit to mamboteam - it's in the terms of using the template)

Look for the first padding-top entry in index.php and change it from 14 to 0 - let me know how you get on.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I've fixed that before - it's a simple tweak - I even left a fix on their forums...

(you're not supposed to move the credit to mamboteam - it's in the terms of using the template)

Look for the first padding-top entry in index.php and change it from 14 to 0 - let me know how you get on.
    Thanks a lot for that. You have probably just saved me several hours searching for the problem in completely the wrong place (css).

I didn't realise I couldn't remove the credit. I thought the template was released under the GNU GPL? I don't like leaving them in in case someone finds a flaw in the code and uses google to find websites that use it. I know its unlikely with a template, but still possible. I'll have a look into it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

no probs. I thought that was standard in a GPL - perhaps someone can enlighten us. I read a long read by a theme creator who discussed it at length - he said that you're at liberty to change it, but the credit should remain unless you change the code to be substantially your own. I've heaavily modified themes before but like this creator said, he did a hell of a lot of work on it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    no probs. I thought that was standard in a GPL - perhaps someone can enlighten us. I read a long read by a theme creator who discussed it at length - he said that you're at liberty to change it, but the credit should remain unless you change the code to be substantially your own. I've heaavily modified themes before but like this creator said, he did a hell of a lot of work on it.
    I might be wrong, but from how I understand it, anything released under the GNU GPL can be modified if it ends up in the HTML code at the end. This is the reason most developers choose to put copyrights as a comment in the PHP code. This then cannot be legally removed as the end user can never see it as it doesn't affect the HTML of the page. Some developers won't say this on purpose because they want to advertise, which is completely understandable. I read up on the GNU GPL before I started the site, but I might have gotten my information from a dodgy source or something.

Unless I have to though, I won't leave any copyrights in anywhere for the reason I stated in my last post. It makes it all the more easier to find websites that use the code. If a flaw has been found in the code, I'm in trouble. I get very paranoid about being hacked because it has happened to me three times in the past on three seperate websites and I still have no idea how any of them were done. So its just me taking extra precautions really.

Thank Post

I don;t know about the circumstances here but maybe look here

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....hyMustIInclude

AFAIK you must keep the GPL licence element of any comments in any program based upon a GPL program.

Its not a choice issue I'm afraid.

regards

Simon

Thank Post

K, it seems you may be right. I'll add it back in, but I'm going to change what it says to something completely different to the default text.

There appears to be a lot of confusion on the internet as to whether you have to leave the visible copyright notice in. I remember reading something on the Joomla website sometime that they even removed their own copyright notice in the latest version to prevent confusion as to whether it could be removed or not.

I notice that a lot of paid for templates do not have a Joomla copyright notice on, yet the people who made the templates didn't actually make Joomla, so what gives them the right to remove it? I honestly don't know what is fact and fiction here, I've just seen two websites seemingly contradicting each other both claiming to know the GPL.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You can remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joomla
    A quick note about copyright and your site.

From the start let's make one thing clear - you own your site, the content of the site is yours and does not belong to anyone else. There is an obligation to maintain the copyright notice within Joomla's PHP source code but you are not obliged to allocate the copyright of your site to anyone but you in the publicly visible page footer.
    (Source)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Right - thanks Webman.

Thank Post

Thanks for that...it clears things up on where we stand legally.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread