+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Time to build a new website in Coding and Web Development; One of my headteachers has mentioned to me about renewing the school website. They have asked me to estimate how ...

Thank Post

Time to build a new website

One of my headteachers has mentioned to me about renewing the school website. They have asked me to estimate how long (i.e number of hours work) it will take me to build them a new site from scratch.

Although the design is not decided yet, it appears that it will be fairly content rich and updatable, but I'm not envisaging anything too fancy, or involving much in the way of coding or a CMS. It'll most likely have to be done in Frontpage.

The problem I have is putting a number of hours on it! We need to decide to work out if it is an affordable project before doing too much planning but it seems difficult to work out before its planned!

Anyone care to share any ideas or experiences about how long it took them to build a new site from scratch?

I'd be sooo grateful for any thoughts...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Time to build a new website

If you don't want to put too much time in it, and it needs to be content rich and easily updateable then CMS is your best bet.
    Once the site 'takes off' you can guarantee your head will want more and more, I suspect you'll want non IT techs to be able to update it.
    Take a serious look at plone drupal (and the rest) before you settle for Frontpage (I assume you mispelled Dreamweaver?), CMS will also make it much easier for someone to pick up if you leave.
    As for time - really depends on what goes into it.

www.plone.org (steeper learning curve for admin, probably better IMO)
    www.drupal.org (lots of plugins, easy to add functionality)

Thank Post

Absolutely ruddy ages. It took (and still is) taking that long for me anyway. Its been about half a year since I started building two websites (one for each of the schools I work for) and one of them only went live yesterday. The other is no where near ready and both are still a big work in progess.

I am doing it with Joomla though admittedly, it should be a little quicker with frontpage/dreamweaver.

As webman told me before I started and as I have found out again and again since then, the bit that takes longest is waiting for content from teachers and other staff. Just make sure that management know that it could take a while, especially on top of your corrent work load.

Thank Post

The website that went live yesterday (bearing in mind it is not complete) is *REMOVED*

(I know its a bit OT, but check out this pic that the kids drew of me: *REMOVED*
    This is my real photo:

Do they really look that alike? Haha.

Thank Post

I too would recommend joomla even for the most basic site.

You have to factor in learning joomla, design, content, smt consultation, sorting hosting, testing.

For 1 person, i'd say about 100 hours depending on the amount of content.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Definately go for a CMS - it will save you loads of time in the long run, and if you can trust staff, you can even allow others to update their own pages

And getting the content is still the most difficult part.

Thank Post

I'd suggest using a CMS - it's a lot quicker as you are just editing pages that already exist. If a feature doesn't exist on the stock version then a good CMS will have plenty of support and plugins.

This Site took about 2 or 3 days to go live. I just add and take away bits when I have time

Have to say CMS is the way to go. As has been said before getting the content is the hardest part for any school website. The actual Joomla install can take just an afternoon. Getting the right layout / design can take some time.

I tend to use the school prospectus to flesh out the site with the static content. If this is already in digital form then this can reduce the creation time no end.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Pic looks just like you Bat!

Another person to hit you with the CMS stick crt-ict. DIY = quicker in the short term > potentially all time consuming in the long term.

No idea how long i've spent on sites. Even with prectice it can take a long time.

I thought - wasn't it you SYSMAN_MK - had a good idea - pay a designer to make a theme for a CMS such as Joomla- it'll cost very little and you'll have a quality base to work from - these will cost you £100 max. A Joomla install will take very little time to set up I think - an afternoon seems very generous. I recon about 15 minutes when practiced. Getting your head around joomla Admin may take a little getting used to - so still a few days of your time will be needed in the first place, and then you've got to train staff delegated to input info.

In our LEA our resident Linux guru built his own simple CMS specifically for Primary Schools. It's a bit basic but then it does the job well, and nearly all of our county primaries use it - with little or no training. Here's an example: http://www.builth.powys.sch.uk/home/index.php

That's version 1. There is a version 2 which has CSS editing capabilities.

Thank Post

same here with cms, just click the dub dub dub link below.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I used Dreamweaver for the school in which I am a LEA gov. Took me a few months but I kept it nice and simple. A standard page for everything. Nothing too flash as its news and information the parents and public want.
    KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid !!

Thank Post

@_bat_

Just a bit of feedback but ...

I don't know if its just me but the title logo seems very blurry - it makes my eyes try to focus on it but fail

regards

Simon

Thank Post

While I used Joomla, I'm not sure I would say it is quicker to do so, especailly for someone who had never used Joomla before (as I hadn't). It takes weeks to feel you are in full control over your website and making complicated mistakes, undoing/fixing those mistakes and starting again took up most of my time to be honest.

Taking a prebuild template and editing it takes ages as well. You have to go through all the HTML/PHP/CSS manually trying to understand exactly how the template has been put together before you can even begin to modify it. There are usually loads of images involved in the templates as well which are a pain when it comes to changing the colour of a template like I did. My template was red to begin with and the white section that "the oval primary school" title is in is made purely of images which has red borders etc. I had to open each individual image in The GIMP and modify them (which was a right royal pain to do with the curved borders - it took an entire afternoon just to do that bit properly).

I've had some bad comments about the title (apparently its too blurry) and the menu bar (no-one likes that font apparently) but I need to get some more bad comments about those before I can be bothered to change them lol.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi
    @_bat_

Just a bit of feedback but ...

I don't know if its just me but the title logo seems very blurry - it makes my eyes try to focus on it but fail

regards

Simon
    Haha, thanks. I hadn't actually seen this before my last post lol but you are the second person to say that. Guess i'll have to change it.

Thank Post

I upgraded ours a couple of years ago. I used Dreamweaver and nothing else. It took me ages to decide on layout and colour theme and then even longer to upgrade it all. Ours was a big site and this is why it took me so long. I ended up doing a lot of it in my own time because i was put under pressure to get it done. We also use Sharepoint now for our VLE which i look after as well. I had done some Frontpage training so this helped with the sharepoint stuff.

What ever time you estimate add 50% because you always come up against other problems and while your updating it new content will be needed be added while you going along.

I looked at a CMS site but i just aint got the time to give to this project just yet.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast