+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Creating Joomla Templates in Coding and Web Development; I've been given the task of sorting out a webhosting solution and to help on create a website which is ...

Thank Post

Creating Joomla Templates

I've been given the task of sorting out a webhosting solution and to help on create a website which is to be done by another member of staff. I have been told by this member of staff that they have done web design but not for a while and I suggested Joomla which is the area I think we will go. Now what I am after is an easy way to get started. I have downloaded some templates which is what I used as a demo, but although this isn't supposed to be me who is creating the website, I will be the person who is called when any problems arise. And there is the problem...I haven't used joomla, but from a suggestion from another thread I briefly looked at Artisteer for creating a template and found it quite good.

I have 2 questions,
    1 - has anyone used Artisteer (or something similar) to create a template and is it any good?
    2 - is it worth me using an editor or learning the code for joomla templates?

Basically I can see me being more involved than originally planned so would like to get some advice from you guys on what my options are.

Thank Post
    we use artisteer and it has been a godsend.. great prog.. has a few quirks but if you work within its limitations all should be gravy

3. Thanks to marekbrad from:

penfold (6th July 2010)

Thank Post
    What about using the EduGeek template and just changing the colours to sort?

I've used Joomla a fair bit, so feel free to get in contact if you want any help.

Thank Post
    If your using a template that resemble what you want your site to look like then sometimes all you need to do is edit the css which isn't that hard + there is plenty of resources online should you get stuck. If you want to move modules then some basic php is required but nothing that is too taxing. Joomla templates aren't as difficult as they look.

Jamie

Thank Post
    The issue is that it wont be me who is designing the template (I dont think) and I am thinking that using artisteer would allow a user to change any settings quickly and easily without going into the code too much. The actual main concern I have is the turnaround for this...they want a August/September launch and due to other work and holidays I wont actually have too much time to play with this. What I am considering is using artisteer to get a website up and running and then maybe have a play with the code when I have more time.

The only thing I am actually supposed to be doing is pricing up things, but I can just see me getting involved in the creation of the website and being strapped for time. I would rather do something good than do something in a rush.

Thank Post
    That sounds like a good solution to me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread