+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Web Development Thread, Joomla Image Gallery in Coding and Web Development; Glad to help...

Re: Joomla Image Gallery

Glad to help

Thank Post

I tried Gallery2 in the past, but it seemed to hog the resources of the server too much so I abandoned it.

I'm using qDig at the moment which is simple, but I've had to set up a website for another school and I could do with a system that was easier for non-techy people to quickly upload new pictures.

The Zoom gallery looks interesting, but does it have to run on Joomla?

Any other suggestions? I tried Coppermine too but I don't think it was any good for easy uplaoding either. Maybe I should just set up a Flickr account for the school!

Take alook at

http://support.phanfare.com/doc/Phan...chools_Program

Use it for my own online ablum. Awsome online Gallery software.

Thank Post

Zoom gallery doesn't have to run on joomla from what I remember reading, it is actually based on another separate project, though I can't remember where I got that information from.

The zoom gallery has some bugs. The zoom (obviously the feature they are most proud of) doesn't work correctly in IE7 and there are some minor problems such as if I rotate an image clockwise, it rotates it anti clockwise for some strange reason (and vice versa).

I haven't really tried any other galleries, so can't recommend any others. I just use zoom gallery because i'm used to it now.

Thank Post

Thanks, I'll give Phanfare a go.

I recommend qDig to anyone who is managing the gallery themselves, as all you have to do is upload your files via FTP and it auto-creates thumbnails etc. It's very easy to install, and can integrate into your website easily enough. It's free too.

The only reason I'm looking at other solutions is so that I don't have to give FTP access to members of staff.

Thank Post

gallery2 should be the only choice really. It's brilliant software. Not only does it integrate with a lot of CMSs 'out of the box' (and has a world of docs for integrating with it something yourself) but it's the best gallery i've seen that "just works".

Can literally throw a zip file of 3000 images at if if you want and it'll extract, create thumbnails, create midsize version, add to a gallery. You can then edit, comment, rename, rotate (although it'll auto rotate if the camera supplied the appropiate exif data) and you can set as granular permissions as you want on the gallery, albums (,photos, comments).

There's also various plugins that integrate into a Windows shell for quick n easy publishing without even needing to open a web browser if you want.

Thank Post

gallery2 killed my website though, so it didn't "just work" for me!

i think it just put too much demand on my web server (a supanames package).

Thank Post

I didn't actually ever try gallery2... not sure why. I think I prefer zoom gallery for my site though as it is a primary school site and the kids love the zoom feature. I don't think many people use IE7 yet, so the bugs in it can wait for a later version I guess.

Their support forum is terrible... most bug reports never get replied to. General questions of how to do things (a few of them I wanted to do myself such a where the PHP include code is for the navigation as I wanted to remove it) didn't get replied to either. It's not an unpopular gallery though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12