+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Getting paid to display banners etc in Coding and Web Development; I'm finally ready to embark on developing a web site for a domain I've been hanging onto for years now! ...
    theeldergeek

Getting paid to display banners etc

I'm finally ready to embark on developing a web site for a domain I've been hanging onto for years now! The idea has been with me a long time, but I have decided I'd like to get 'paid' for a few limited banners etc on the site as there will be a 'commercial' element to it once I get local businesses involved. What's the best way to go about this? Is Google the 'daddy' in this respect, or is/are there other organisations to get into bed with?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    if you combine the banner idea with affiliate marketing it can be fairly fruitful, at least sufficient to cover your own hosting / domain ownership costs.

i have some examples here www.vikpaw.co.uk and a really old and naff www.foundationforfun.co.uk/links2.html

the one banner site i use is money4banners, for which there is a link on my site (second link), which will earn us both commission it has another few names for the same company too and others do similar. the insurance add at the bottom is from them, and pays monthly, but you have to show it on 3 separate pages and not have any other links on there, or they have to approve any other links.

you must bear in mind, that you cant just get ads without your site being approved and appropriate content on there. google ads can be shown regardless and are context specific but wont necessarily pay big bucks.

affiliate future have ads that you can put on without approval, but aren't as good as the bigger affiliate groups like tradedoubler. i ( my sites ) have been rejected many times based on content, or even lack of for the vikpaw site.

hope that's the sort of info you were after. contact me if you want anything else.

3. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I own a few domins with nothing on them.. They still get a few hits a month.. It it considered bad practuce just to fill them with ads?

Thank Post
    It's not bad practise just frowned upon by the people that put effort in.
    You're unlikely to get much revunue from random hits.
    It's better to have a holding page up, or go with someone like Sido (not sure how you spell it) to look after it while it's effectively inactive, that way you can get targeted links and ads based on the domain name and / or topics and categories you select.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just beware, some ad services have policies against domain holding pages which are just "ad farms".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Just beware, some ad services have policies against domain holding pages which are just "ad farms".
    absolutely, i should have been specific. it's an either or, you can use a holding page company, but then you don't get control over putting ads up or do your own ads.

i'd prefer the DIY approach, but it takes time. I get loads of hits on the old naff site that i initially used for personal pictures than the new one. no idea why apart from the name and how long it's been going.

Thank Post
    I use Affiliate Window for the adds on my website - you have to subscribe to indvidual vendors (like Comet/Novatech ect) but they offer both 'deep links' and banner adds.
    Works great with my WordPress site and arn't as intrusive as Google ads.

Thank Post
    I use Google Adsense on some pages, and on others i actually sell banner slots.

e.g. £25 for 1 week. £40 for 2 weeks.. £60 for a month.

But for people to buy this you need to have a site with traffic, it needs to be worth their while.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread