+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Message Board Hosting Project in Coding and Web Development; Hi Guys Not sure if i can ask for this here But im looking for a developer that would be ...

Thank Post

Message Board Hosting Project

Hi Guys

Not sure if i can ask for this here

But im looking for a developer that would be interested writing message board software from scratch this would be a voluntary role but given time if the community grows this could be changed and would be a paid role

As far as i know knowledge in Perl. PHP and MYSQL would be required maybe more

This would be a permanent fixture as a Community Developer

I have know knowledge what so ever on where to start and would be really grateful if someone fancied taking this project on

For more details please PM me or via the details below

MSN - david.bessell@live.co.uk
    E-Mail - bessel@btinternet.com

Thanks

Dave

Thank Post
    Why from scratch, particularly? Isn't this re-inventing the wheel (several wheels, in fact)?

Cue
    Thank Post
    First off, welcome to EduGeek!

You're asking a lot for very little here, I must say. Writing a forum from scratch is not an easy or quick task, it takes a long time to perfect, especially if you want it to be anywhere near as good as some of the big names (which have been in development for years, some over 10). Not to mention most highly skilled coders won't work with no promise of return, since they could be out writing code and getting paid at minimum a few hundred for a couple of days of coding.

Also, some may not be fond of the idea that you're basically asking them to do all the work, as you stated you don't really know where to begin, which is fine, but most people aren't going to do anything unless it's a cooperative joint where everyone is giving equal work, which for something like a message board isn't really going to be much more work than coding for the first year at least.

(Also, Perl for a message board...? Unlikely to be needed =P)

Just my thoughts, as a Web Developer myself.

Thank Post
    Cos i know most people do enjoy taking on projects to do something that they enjoy doing

And i know that this might not workout and turn out to be a waste of time but you dont know if you dont try

So if there is anyone willing to give it a go contact me

Cue
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb86 View Post
    Cos i know most people do enjoy taking on projects to do something that they enjoy doing
    Sometimes, yes, but not for something that requires as much as work as creating a forum, generally. Like I said, if it's something they enjoy doing chances are they're getting financial gain out of it, and if they aren't they probably could be if they can code a message board from scratch. I've been getting a nice bit of income from freelance web development for years now, to the point where the only stuff I do for free is stuff for one or two communities, I refuse to create a site without a payment opportunity on the basis that it's not a viable practice for me, unless of course it's a site for me, otherwise I'd be paying myself, and that would be silly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts

Guys and Gals, please keep talk on topic. The thread only derails when you allow it to, so keep discussion to a minimum, and ignore comments that don't add to the thread.
    If you take the bait, someone will reel you in, so don't bite.

[/mod]

EDIT: i am referring to the posts that had to be deleted, not the legitimate discussion that is going on around the validity or not of this project.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th May 2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Addition / clarification

7. Thanks to vikpaw from:

kmount (26th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi Dave,

I'm with the guys asking why from scratch really mate, if you're looking to build a community a good foundation is a solid proven and familiar system.

It's all very well and good writing stuff from scratch if you need a competitive edge that isn't met with current offerings but I'm not sure of your objectives (please do tell us) and you might find that a forum such as phpBB, SimpleMachinesForum, IPB or such like with a nifty theme (cheap), & some modules if necessary for desired functionality is a lot quicker and less painful than starting from scratch and having to write lots and lots of functionality in together with the bugs etc they bring.

Please do tell us a bit more about what you're after as there's enough of us in this community with the knowledge and experience in building / growing communities and meeting the needs of forum users.

Cheers,

Kim

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Dave. What a stange request. Given that there are literally dozens of open source (free) message board systems and an almost equally large amount of high quality 'paid for' versions such as VBulletin as we use here I think that unless you have a very specific function for thes message board then you are on to a loser before you even begin. A more sensible approach would be to find an open source sysem that does approximately what you want and then have it modified to suit.
    As Powdarrmonkey said, you are trying to re-invent the wheel when there are many, many long established wheels that are well designed and supported, and getting someone to do it for free, given the amount of work it would take, is hoping for far, far too much.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 26th May 2010 at 08:40 AM.

Thank Post
    If i remember correctly this is about the same time that 2nd year Computer Science Students pick their final year project............

11. 2 Thanks to Lee_K_81:

powdarrmonkey (26th May 2010), SimpleSi (26th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81 View Post
    If i remember correctly this is about the same time that 2nd year Computer Science Students pick their final year project............
    And if that's the case why is he asking for our help. Surely if this was his situation he should be doing it himself?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb86 View Post

And i know that this might not workout and turn out to be a waste of time but you dont know if you dont try
    True, but usually for a cause... is this going to be free (libre) software? Although I usually prefer better odds than "might not be a waste of time".

What's your skillset and your plan, and if we formed a team what part would you play?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    And if that's the case why is he asking for our help. Surely if this was his situation he should be doing it himself?
    I'm making no assumptions or insinuations, just an observation. If he isn't a student asking for help, approaching a local university who has lots of students about to take final year projects on, could be a solution.

Thank Post
    That is because im not amongst the lucky few that have gained knowledge in this area i couldnt make an alert from javascript i know its only a small code having own my own forum on Proboards software.

Never mind though guys sorry to waste your time was just a wish i had

Thank Post
    Beware - you will have no comeback or quality control with anyone doing the work for free, and bad coding (especially of a custom written forum) will leave your server wide open to attack... SQL injection, Base64 injection and potentially much more...

A VERY risky venture imo...

I'm quite capable of doing the job, but never would, and personally always go for a paid-for fully supported solution myself because of the inherent security risks and potential liabilities involved.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    I'm quite capable of doing the job, but never would, and personally always go for a paid-for fully supported solution myself because of the inherent security risks and potential liabilities involved.
    oh sure, paid-for == secure *sigh*

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast