+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Website appearance on iPhone in Coding and Web Development; Hi All, Sorry, another question about my new website! Does anyone have much knowledge of how an iPhone renders text ...

Thank Post

Website appearance on iPhone

Hi All,

Sorry, another question about my new website!

Does anyone have much knowledge of how an iPhone renders text on a webpage? I realise that the screen size is a lot smaller, but I would have thought that the easy zooming capabilities would mean that it should render text in exactly the same way as a desktop browser, however, I seem to get far fewer words per line when my website is displayed on the iPhone. See attached screenshot:

And this messes up my layout! I know that my layout should be able to dynamically cope with this, but I'm still learning CSS. Is there a way to force the way the text is rendered so that I get the same number of words per line on any device?

At the moment I'm using the "em" method of font sizing. Should I use normal font sizes instead?

Here is a link to the website so you can see how it renders in a normal browser.

Thanks.

Thank Post
    you need to add some empty divs as spaceholders using clear:both css to avoid it ovelapping stuff when the res gets lowered (eg: bottom of your main block before the separating line above the two big pics), but yes, fixed font sizes should also help... or a body font size fixed, then everything else using percentage...

Thank Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I fiddled around with this for hours but couldn't get it to look right. However, I did stumble accross the solution:

Add this to the CSS and it fixes the layout:

-webkit-text-size-adjust: none;

Unfortunately it won't validate, but it does the job. It basically turns off the text rescaling options on the iPhone and other webkit browsers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchell1981 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I fiddled around with this for hours but couldn't get it to look right. However, I did stumble accross the solution:

Add this to the CSS and it fixes the layout:

-webkit-text-size-adjust: none;

Unfortunately it won't validate, but it does the job. It basically turns off the text rescaling options on the iPhone and other webkit browsers.
    That is because -<VENDOR>-<OPTION>: are vendor specific and not part of the w3c specs or are working versions of the draft specs. So it's perfectly alright to not have them validating.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread