+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Web Development Thread, What to charge for web development in Coding and Web Development; I hae been asked by a school to create a website for them but have no idea what to charge. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,224 Posts
    Blog Entries

What to charge for web development

I hae been asked by a school to create a website for them but have no idea what to charge.

Can anyone who has done this let me know an idea of what you charged?

I was thinking of working out my hourly rate as a guide.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    im currently doing one for £22.50 an hour, i have said could take 100/150 hours which they said was fine

3. Thanks to glennda from:

sparkeh (24th February 2010)

Thank Post
    You can check out my side line here DorsetWebDesigns Generally £50 per page with a minimum of £500 for a site.

5. Thanks to ICT_GUY from:

sparkeh (24th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    im currently doing one for £22.50 an hour, i have said could take 100/150 hours which they said was fine
    do you build by using existing templates ie joomla designs or do you do all the work from scratch ?

That would surely make a difference as to how many hours someone would spend on a project ?

Thank Post
    this one im starting most from scratch, all tho i do have some stuff that is allready done just needs changed to the other schools design like the PHP contact us form etc. Its only going to be about 13/14 pages. All content is being supplied aswell as pictures etc. I am adding things like a slideshow of the pictures of the building under lettings, but as the school are not going to be paying me to keep it up to date as i dont work for them i am told to keep it user friendly and so they can edit it with dreamweaver.

Thank Post
    Typo somewhere?

I just claim 15 hours at my school overtime rate - this costs the school about £225 - I end up with about £130 in my pocket.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    not my school, its a private contract! i school payed 8K for there website they currently have which i have to say having looked at it, looks like the students could have done better!
    but so far i have changed the whole thing 3 times as they keep changing there mines, first of all they wanted the navigation bar at the side, then at the top and now its back to the side, if they had decided the first time it would have been alot less time!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Cheers guys that helps.
    I am thinking of charging an overtime rate but having a minimum cost.

Thank Post
    I would think carefully about how you charge. I have done a few sites for the county.

Hourly rates have to be accounted for.

Bean counters like to know what they are paying for.

This equals happy per page (they can count the pages and work the total out) but unhappy for an hourly rate (how do they know when you worked?) . Recently I had to jump through hoops with a load of conditions because I mentioned an hourly rate. Besides you are in it for profit, last biggie I worked on came in at a VERY healthy hourly rate because of the per page cost, got to love CMS.

Thank Post
    Do you have the relevant skills to design & develop a website? Or is "create a website" just uploading Joomla with a few tweaks to a template?

I guess it depends on the functionality they want on the website really, I'm not a fan of per hour rates I'd much prefer a "fixed price".

Thank Post
    I would not bother with an Hourly Rate (unless you think it is going to take a really long time). Charge a fixed fee to deliver the website.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CSNM-Carl View Post
    Do you have the relevant skills to design & develop a website? Or is "create a website" just uploading Joomla with a few tweaks to a template?

I guess it depends on the functionality they want on the website really, I'm not a fan of per hour rates I'd much prefer a "fixed price".
    You would be surprised what people will pay a lot of money for. CMS and template tweaking allows for some hefty profit margins and very happy customers. Not to mention some insanely quick turn around times.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When i did my schools one they charged me my overtime rate, but if i do them privately its usually by page..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CSNM-Carl View Post
    Aren't you missing the point of a CMS there? I could hand crank a website if I really wanted to but why would you do that when a web CMS like Joomla/Drupal will provide the functionality that this school will need on a stable, well documented and supported platform that is easy to use?

Anyway, after the comments on hourly pay I have revised my thoughts. I think a fixed fee or page fee does sound like a much better option.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sorry to hijack!

This is quite and interesting thread because ive got a guy who wants me to build him a site to show off his fine art collection (ooer!). This is fine, im happy to do it. The guy knows nothing though ("what will happen to my website when i turn my computer off at night?").

But then he mentioned that he would like it updated. Now i've never done that before. Ive usually just create "brochure" sites for startup businesses. How shall i handle it...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast