+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Web Development Thread, What to charge for web development in Coding and Web Development; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Just to clarify, this is more my domain...by law you should declare all income, whether you're employed, self employed or both. You are required to charge VAT when your turnover exceeds 68,000.

If you earned less than 6300 (your basic wage) you're still required to declare it, you'll just pay no tax.

My company don't deal with the creation of websites, however if I were to there are several pricing models you could offer potential customers. Basic static websites or database driven websites typically using MySQL and PHP. As for pricing all I can advise is study the market and look at your competitors.

For example you could offer a set price for creating the website then an on-going price for maintaining the website. Some customers also request you deal with domain registration and the hosting itself, so there's plenty of areas to offer services.

2. 3 Thanks to Michael:

Devontechie (26th February 2010), Little-Miss (26th February 2010), sparkeh (26th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    sorry to hijack!

This is quite an interesting thread because ive got a guy who wants me to build him a site to show off his fine art collection (ooer!). This is fine, im happy to do it. The guy knows nothing though ("what will happen to my website when i turn my computer off at night?").

But then he mentioned that he would like it updated. Now i've never done that before. Ive usually just create "brochure" sites for startup businesses. How shall i handle it...
    I suggest creating the site in such a way that the guy can update it himself. It's best to keep things simple as much for you making it and him using it. Also you get to add the cost of training him to use his site. Depending on what other content he wants, it may be helpful to design the site around some existing gallery functionally code such as phpAlbum | PHP Photo Album - Gallery or Coppermine Photo Gallery

4. Thanks to browolf from:

Little-Miss (26th February 2010)

Thank Post

I've viewed RingOfFlame's posts enough to understand she will respond to theeldergeek's post above. She's not the kind of girl who likes to back down, which in itself is respectable. I'm all for people who stand up for themselves - I'm the same, but it's not appropriate on a public Forum in this sort of thread.

Before Mods step in and start slapping wrists, can I just suggest that any further derailing of this thread takes place in PM? The discussion r.e ICT_GUY's sideline website has gone way out of proportion, and is entirely irrelevent to the OP, this thread and infact this Forum. I'm not a "forum cop" or a Mod, but I personally hate to see threads continually torn apart on EduGeek by such a distinct clash of opinion, especially when there's a race-row about to spark. It really is not hard to just take it to PM. Really. The world doesn't need to see your clash, it's between you two and you two only.

EDIT: It appears I was too slow in this post. *sigh*

I'm actually rather interested in this thread, because I was offered a web design sideline job for our SSCO department and turned it down, and after reading here what I could have earned, and what they offered, I think I did the right thing. Also, I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to meet demands. I prefer to hand-code, and I lack sufficient knowledge of Flash, or advanced image creation/editing, etc to make anything worthy of an "Oooh".

6. Thanks to Mako from:

RingOfFlame (26th February 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post

EDIT: It appears I was too slow in this post. *sigh*
    Not at all, I'm going to delete all my previous posts in this thread and have done so.

I apologise to anyone who was offended or disturbed by my involvement, I felt strongly enough to challenge what was said, and did so.

Last edited by theeldergeek; 26th February 2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

8. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

ICT_GUY (27th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    Technically you should state all additional income on your annual tax return, though you are not liable to pay VAT unless you earn (don't quote me on the figure) roughly 30k a year in any line of business (this would also mean you're entitled to VAT exemption; they net the figure of reclaimed VAT off against the VAT you owe them to reduce your liability). Check your tax code, the numbers signify how much you can earn in a year in your tax band before they start charging you more tax, if you think that the extra cash you'll be getting doing this on top of your wage will push you over that threshold, contact your local tax office (their number will be on your tax slip) to inform them now and they'll tell you the best way to ensure you don't get charged emergency tax
    IS it not common for those who provide this type of service in addition to a day job, to setup a limited company where the income from such work would go into ?

And then your talking about the services of a tax accountant presumably ? Let's hear how the web entreprenuers on here do it....i'm intrigued.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    I've not done it myself but having previously worked in finance, I would say unless you start employing staff and paying salaries, then keeping your invoices & receipts and doing some basic book keeping will more than suffice to help you fill out a tax return yourself without paying an accountant. If you get in to the realms of paying VAT (68,000 as Michael rightly pointed out, a little higher than my 30k estimate!) then I'd pay a professional, miscalculating your VAT payments can land you a hefty fine and even a jail sentence.

But if it's just a little sideline business you have going, just remember to keep a paper trail.

BTW, I'm no professional so please don't take my comments as gospel! Just my opinion
    i was thinking more in the way of if there were any tax advantages of setting up a limited company
    for this type of work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread has been sanatised
    Please stay on topic and post constructive comments.

12. 7 Thanks to ZeroHour:

ICT_GUY (27th February 2010), Little-Miss (28th February 2010), localzuk (26th February 2010), LosOjos (1st March 2010), powdarrmonkey (26th February 2010), sparkeh (26th February 2010)

Thank Post
    I find it interesting how most of the web-designers, websites on here... are actually templates of someone else's.

Maybe we get lazy when it's our own business on the line?

*note this isn't ment to cause offence, I do it myself...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    I find it interesting how most of the web-designers, websites on here... are actually templates of someone else's.

Maybe we get lazy when it's our own business on the line?

*note this isn't ment to cause offence, I do it myself...
    OR maybe people are lazy most of the time, becuase there are people who'll pay regardless.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it's being lazy or ripping off the customer.

Most users don't want a web site which is built, finished and then that's it - they want to be able to add to it as time goes on (news items, new photos, whatever). Given that, what most users want (even though they may not know it!) is a CMS.

There are several good CMS packages out there - does it really make sense to write your own? Who benefits if you do? Not the customer; it'll probably take you longer (ie cost the customer more) than using an off the shelf package. Maybe you benefit as developer - you've learned some new skills but is it worth it? I think someone's already posted something along the lines of "do you expect a plumber to make their own copper pipe?" and it's a reasonable analogy; using a CMS off the shelf is just about taking one of many tools and using it to do the job the customer wants.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post

Most users don't want a web site which is built, finished and then that's it - they want to be able to add to it as time goes on (news items, new photos, whatever). Given that, what most users want (even though they may not know it!) is a CMS.

There are several good CMS packages out there - does it really make sense to write your own? Who benefits if you do? Not the customer; it'll probably take you longer (ie cost the customer more) than using an off the shelf package. Maybe you benefit as developer - you've learned some new skills but is it worth it? I think someone's already posted something along the lines of "do you expect a plumber to make their own copper pipe?" and it's a reasonable analogy; using a CMS off the shelf is just about taking one of many tools and using it to do the job the customer wants.
    but i'm not talking about not using a pre-existing CMS for actual content management. I made similar p
    oints to yourself about saving the customer money by using open source CMS.

It's when the CMS takes over both content and design. IT used to be you seperate designing and theming from content, now with open source CMS the CMS is used for the design element of the site via themes in addition to content updating.

I don't think i've heard anyone say that not building your own CMS from scratch is somehow lazy.
    Some might argue that using design themes is perhaps a bit lazy, i'd argue more that it's unoriginal....but then there is very little out there that is original. And if the customers happy then alls well.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post

I wasn't talking about the CMS, I was talking about the template...

Thank Post
    I know of a few schools locally that pay around 1,000 a year for design & unlimited updates...

But I think thats a little expensive when the LA host the site and theres only 1 update a month!

If I was doing one privately, I'd be looking at around 500 a year. After all, once the design is done, it's easy money to do a 15 min update every now and then...

Thank Post
    Hmm.. sorry to bring this up, but those that do use web templates for customers, do you tell them?

Is it in the design contract?

Also how do you make a intial agreement with the customer?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Hmm.. sorry to bring this up, but those that do use web templates for customers, do you tell them?
    Is it in the design contract?
    Personally I like to be upfront about these kind of things.
    Taking the school is question I explained about CMS, templates and the pros and cons of different approaches. When we write an agreement I will put in *exactly* what is going to be delivered and how its being delivered.
    Generally I think honesty counts for a lot and getting everything down on paper means that you won't worry about misunderstandings because everyone knows what is going to be delivered (though working in management consultancy for a good few years taught me that you have to be very careful about the wording of such documents as everyone has their own interpretation of what was agreed).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast