+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Web Development Thread, What to charge for web development in Coding and Web Development; How come when one person turns up a friendly thread about what to charge for a website turn nasty!!...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How come when one person turns up a friendly thread about what to charge for a website turn nasty!!

2. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

ICT_GUY (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,939 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    How come when one person turns up a friendly thread about what to charge for a website turn nasty!!
    Seems to be linked to a certain user who likes to rustle up trouble.

However, on the original post, I would say you have 2 ways of doing it - a flat rate 'package' price, or an hourly rate.

This would have to be gauged carefully though, as different customers want different things (obviously).

For a school website, done by a professional company, I've been quoted ~£2.5k and above. So, depending on what you want to do, you could charge £1000 for a decent site, based on an existing CMS with a custom template and with you providing initial population of pages. Or, you could charge £20 an hour, providing a minimum hours etc...

Whatever you do, don't charge too little - you should be paid properly for your work.

4. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

ICT_GUY (25th February 2010), sparkeh (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    I also suggest you make sure both parties are absolutely clear on what's going to be done, and have it set down in writing. I've spoken to many, many people who were taken for a ride by companies or individuals who expected a lot and bullied them into delivering it (the guilt factor, "you said you would but you haven't" is a classic).

6. 2 Thanks to powdarrmonkey:

bossman (26th February 2010), localzuk (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I also suggest you make sure both parties are absolutely clear on what's going to be done, and have it set down in writing. I've spoken to many, many people who were taken for a ride by companies or individuals who expected a lot and bullied them into delivering it (the guilt factor, "you said you would but you haven't" is a classic).
    I can't say 'yes!' more to this! When you're starting out, everything MUST be defined as to what is expected from both parties.

Otherwise you end up with the client expecting you to make changes ad-infinitum at no charge, or you get delayed due to the client not providing you with information you need and expecting you to sit and wait without any pay.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Otherwise you end up with the client expecting you to make changes ad-infinitum at no charge
    Oh, this is also one that's got me before: when you're done, change any passwords you've set to random values, and formally issue them to the client along with confirmation of any that they gave you, and make sure they know you have destroyed all records of them. This serves two purposes: you can't be accused of changing things after the event (for example, when there's a Joomla security notice in a year's time and the site is vandalised as a result), and when you're asked to make changes you do can't anyway.

9. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

bossman (26th February 2010)

Thank Post
    I'm not going to rise to the bait so "delicately" laid in this thread by a particular individual. I will say, however, @ICT_GUY, that some of the invalid code is easily rectified, such as 'Headings as links' can be fixed by simply placing the <h3> element outside of the <a> tag, rather than inside. This will pass validation and should not change the output, unless some stylesheet is involved with those tags. Feel free to slap up a new thread or PM if you would like a validating hand.

Someone I went to Sixth Form with now runs his own web design business, and he charges a minimum fee for a standard "brochure" site, something along the lines of £200, then £50 per page thereafter. Or a fixed, but negotiable, fee for sites over a certain number of pages. Based on the responses here, I wouldn't offer an overtime fee based on your salary. You could make quite a wad out of it, playing your cards right. Some good advice here.

Unfortunately due to the fact I was previously an apprentice and started development of my school's website as such, I got the web development roped into my job description when I completed my apprenticeship and was offered my job. No extra money for me.
    Last edited by Mako; 25th February 2010 at 10:36 AM.

11. 2 Thanks to Mako:

ICT_GUY (25th February 2010), sparkeh (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    I'm not going to rise to the bait so "delicately" laid in this thread by a particular individual. I will say, however, @ICT_GUY, that some of the invalid code is easily rectified, such as 'Headings as links' can be fixed by simply placing the <h3> element outside of the <a> tag, rather than inside. This will pass validation and should not change the output, unless some stylesheet is involved with those tags. Feel free to slap up a new thread or PM if you would like a validating hand.
    I will in fact make those changes, thank you.
    I am down to 16 errors now, though the rest are embedded in the Theme and I will have to sit there and go through it (or wait for the next update).

(update) This is quite Cathartic, I am tracking down errors on the school site now and getting much better at spotting them.
    Last edited by ICT_GUY; 25th February 2010 at 11:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Pricing:

50 pound per page for HTML, more for PHP, ASP etc.

They must give all information to you for the website, any changes after they have already been agreed upon should be an extra charge.

just skipped through the last page here, but use Webdeveloper Add-on for firefox with the inbuilt HTML tidy option to clean up error messages.

14. 2 Thanks to Flakes:

Little-Miss (25th February 2010), sparkeh (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    ok i decided to read some more of this post:

Ponteland High School < 0 errors, only a few warnings site built from scratch by me.

anyway, errors are normal for websites, do you know why, its because of that so so popular browser Internet Explorer there are many cases were you have to use non standard code to make something look right in IE, this is normally the cause for errors.

as for charging to keep a website up-to-date there are two routes to take, either charge a yearly/monthly fee depending on how much they think they will need the site updated. if it needs to have news items updated on a monthly basis i would probably go for around 30pound a month.

the second route is on the spot and generally works out better, if they want a new page charge 50pound, change to an existing page look at the 20-30 pound mark..

play your cards right and you can make a nice bit of income, i currently do allot of web design on the side for other parties. and cause im a shameless self promoter heres my website(in wordpress, wanted something quick lol): | J-Henderson

16. Thanks to Flakes from:

sparkeh (25th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did someone say something?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    Make your mind up hunny. You either have not developed the site, or your are spending more time developing it.
    Oh come on, it is obvious what he said - he has a bog standard Joomla install set up, and from the start it wasn't validating - meaning the default theme is not validating, which means the Joomla package itself is the cause, not him. That is obvious to anyone who is trying to actually be helpful!

I can criticize what ever I like. If someone wants to show off their side line business on a public forum then they should expect both positive and negative comments. Unfortunately some people seem to be rather touchy and get all high and mighty.

Many thanks for your sweeping racist statement, make you feel important?
    Criticism is always good, so long as it is constructive. Making out that someone is ripping people off, or making out that they're no good at what they do without actual advice as to how to improve is not helpful.

I'm going to give you some constructive criticism now - stop with the negativity and actually start trying to be nice and helpful and you will start getting a positive response. Carry on as you are doing, and I see a very different future for you.

Also, just one other thing - there is nothing racist there - Americans are not a race - it is a nationality, made up of many races.

19. Thanks to localzuk from:

ICT_GUY (26th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,128 Posts
    Blog Entries

Can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to the tax situation for this?
    If I am employed by one school but paid by another for website work, am I going to get hit by the taxman for second income or anything?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post

Can anyone point me in the right direction in regards to the tax situation for this?
    If I am employed by one school but paid by another for website work, am I going to get hit by the taxman for second income or anything?

Cheers
    It depends on the amount you bring in IIRC. Although, according to this page, you have to fill in a Tax Return Do you need to complete a tax return? : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

22. Thanks to localzuk from:

sparkeh (26th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post

Cheers
    Technically you should state all additional income on your annual tax return, though you are not liable to pay VAT unless you earn (don't quote me on the figure) roughly £30k a year in any line of business (this would also mean you're entitled to VAT exemption; they net the figure of reclaimed VAT off against the VAT you owe them to reduce your liability). Check your tax code, the numbers signify how much you can earn in a year in your tax band before they start charging you more tax, if you think that the extra cash you'll be getting doing this on top of your wage will push you over that threshold, contact your local tax office (their number will be on your tax slip) to inform them now and they'll tell you the best way to ensure you don't get charged emergency tax

24. Thanks to LosOjos from:

sparkeh (26th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 823 Posts
    Oh and while I think about it, make sure you invoice the school, this serves two purposes: it serves the school a legally binding contract to pay you, and provides evidence for the tax man should they ask you to prove your new income is legitimate

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast