+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Web Development Thread, Church Website CMS in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by nephilim I havent had issues with e107. If you work it properly, it is an effective CMS, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I havent had issues with e107. If you work it properly, it is an effective CMS, but not as good as Joomla in that respect
    I mean I suppose it'll do the job... but my problem with it was the code it produced and it is bettered by many other Open Source CMS's with better support, Wordpress, Joomla etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ahh i am with you! My apologies!

Thank Post
    thanks for all the comments as I'm looking into a CMS for our Church also so its nice to see what others are using and how easy they are to manage.

Thank Post
    Content and design meeting this evening so I might actually get somewhere beyond a blank theme. Does anyone have any experience converting Joomla templates to tableless design. I have a strong desire to make it CSS led and accessible but at the same time I have a feeling with work, OU study and family life I might be biting off more than I can chew in a reasonable time frame. I know I'll also be breaking it horribly for IE6 if I do.

I might be better off buying a commercial template once I have a strong design brief (and thus am not wasting money on something that doesn't meet their needs- they've changed their minds before).

If I do convert the Joomla one to CSS driven then I'll obviously submit that back to sysman-uk as open source code for him to incorporate or otherwise as he decides.

If anyone who knows of good Joomla template tutorials, preferably that you have experience of using, I'd be forever grateful.

Lastly, before I commit to tonnes of work, I'm still willing to look at Wordpress for a CMS (the other Church website I've been roped into has just switched to WP) if you're able to suggest a good calendar/events plugin.

Thank Post
    Having now had some content contributed (from the look of this forum a common fruhstration) and a design meeting the website is now starting to look more complete.

The youth minister is really enthusiastic and wants her own "micro-site" for the young people of the church and their friends to publicise events, the after school club etc.

I've created a "youth" menu and am simply planning to link another template to all pages on this menu which IIRC is possible in Joomla. The layout will stay more or less the same but the colours will be brighter and bolder, and the fonts more child friendly, as well as the banner photographs changed to reflect the youth services.

The question I have is regarding the linking of both modules and templates to menu items. Is there any way to do this for "this menu and all menu items belonging to it" or do individual menu items have to be selected.

If you look at Upcoming youth events then all those modules which are not set to appear on all items are missing. Services this week (which I don't want on the youth pages anyway), the youth menu (which I do- but only on these), both banners (there is a slideshow on the home page and then a static image on all others) do not appear as they are not explicitly set to do so.

Obviously as developer I can add objects to new pages as I create them but it is going to MASSIVELY add to the complexity for the EU and potentially undermine the entire reason for using a CMS in the first place- removing the ability for them to add new pages.

To a certain extent I can work around this for the menus and modules by declaring positions in both templates and then only positioning them in the relevant template, but this won't work either for the banner or (if this should prove a problem) the templates themselves.

As always your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12