+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Content Manager/Technician in Coding and Web Development; My SMT is looking at future developments one aspect of which is the school VLE and the possible impact on ...
    Thank Post

Content Manager/Technician

My SMT is looking at future developments one aspect of which is the school VLE and the possible impact on the IT staff to maintain and update it.

I've been asked to find out what sort of manpower requirements would be required to run and maintain a VLE together with the web site.

We have approx 1000 students and also run Science Technician courses with a possibility of running other courses in the future.

Basically what I need is an idea what sort of qualifications would we be looking for and a ball park figure for a salary. For the VLE element I would imagine some sort of teaching experience.

I know some colleges and universities have dedicated individuals or in some cases, teams that solely look after web site elements and VLEs leaving teaching staff more time to teach.

Any pointers would be appreciated and if anyone has a job description for a content manager/technician I could look at, that would be great.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Content Manager/Technician

I also agree this should be a role linked to teaching, learning resources content isn't a technical role. This is something I tried to explain to the school where I'm at for over a year (when they told me I was going to be Web/VLE Manager), with only recent success thanks to Bossman. I'll email/PM you a copy of the job description they gave me if I can find it. The salary is a moot point as it was the same as for what I was doing before the change.

A school close to us has had a full-time VLE Manager (was a teacher) for 2 years.

Thank Post

Thanks webman - that would be a great help.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

While i wont go as far as saying it must be a teacher role must be filled by somone with a understanding of t & l.

But what it sounds like is what you want is two roles in one somone to look after tech side but also provide content as well.

Russell

Thank Post

The way I imagine the post is that we would need someone with T&L experience, preferably over several subject areas, with a good working knowledge of web apps and developement software such as Flash etc who would be able to liaise with teaching staff to discuss content and then be able to demonstrate the finished product.

I may be looking for too much there, hence the original question - what are others doing?

Would such a content Manager be expecting a salary around the SO1/SO2 range?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries

I humbly apologise for the use of buzzwords and manglement speak in this reply ... should anyone require a translation it is available for a small fee payable to the EduGeek @ BETT fund.

I would say that they are 2 clear roles ... a developer to look at the system, perform administrative task and help with training and delivery ... and a a content creation person (or team) that can take existing resources and convert them into learning objects that can be fitted into pathways / streams on a VLE to allow for independant / personalised learning.

I'll be honest and say that it involves a change in teaching prectices. Departments have to produce structured schemes of work that included digital resources (or resources that can be adapted to be delivered digitally). Some departments do not like this ... as they feel that you *have* to have a teacher delivering the materials directly ... rather than being facilitators.

How you intend to roll this out really defines the sort of person you want to employ ...

Thank Post

I'd agree with that for large colleges and Universities, but would be hard to justify in a secondary school with 1000 students. Full time at any rate

Maybe sharing such individuals with other educational establishments could be the answer - I don't know.

For planning/discussion clarity at this stage I'm assuming it would be one individual on a full time basis.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    A school close to us has had a full-time VLE Manager (was a teacher) for 2 years.
    Any chance that you could PM me with the name of the school?

Thank Post

Alan-d, when/if the post comes up, let me know.

Sounds like the perfect job for me. Currently a teacher/technician who used to be a HTML/javascript contractor and experience of setting up and training staff to use VLE systems. I've taught science, ICT and computing.

What does SO1/SO2 range equate to? I'm guessing less than a teacher?

Thank Post

If its the same as round here that is roughly £22.5k-26.5k

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wizzer
    Alan-d, when/if the post comes up, let me know.

Sounds like the perfect job for me. Currently a teacher/technician who used to be a HTML/javascript contractor and experience of setting up and training staff to use VLE systems. I've taught science, ICT and computing.

What does SO1/SO2 range equate to? I'm guessing less than a teacher?
    SO1/SO2 is around the 22K mark I believe but I'm only using that grade as a base it could be lower depending on what the job description entails. For example the SMT may decide that a web technician is all that is required and one of the teaching staff be the coordinator.

That is why I'm probing for info

Thank Post

So, yes, less than a teacher.

Not so perfect after all.

Thank Post

lol - sorry

Having said that I'm only guessing it could be more or even less, trying to find some sort of guidence on this is not easy - it's one of those new developements that doesn't quite fit into any specific catagory.

It would be nice to hear from anyone doing the job though - come on I know you're out there

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Our local FE College just set on someone in that role @ £18k - wages are less around these parts tho - to compensate for the fantastic quality of life / standard of living no doubt! :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts

alan-d: how about "media technician" with a view to pay scale around 14k which i would say fit into the support role but would also envelope a teachimg and learning role so the criteria for this position i would think would go along the line of someone IT literate (and not just someone who can switch the bloody thing on) and also from a teaching and learning background.
    Hey what about a teaching assistant who is interested in IT just the job.
    Sorted!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast