+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Registering School Website with search engines (google) in Coding and Web Development; Hello, Just a quick one really. Perhaps a silly question too. I have been having a few complaints from parents ...

Thank Post

Registering School Website with search engines (google)

Hello,

Just a quick one really. Perhaps a silly question too.

I have been having a few complaints from parents that they can't find our website using google. I have looked at how to register the site with google and have gone through the addurl link. Now it says that i have to wait for their bot to crawl our site.

I did this Friday and upon searching our School's name (Eaton Valley Primary School) over the weekend it doesn't come up, at least not in the first few pages i've looked at anyway.

So have i forgotten something or does it take longer than this for their bot to get around to doing something?

TIA

Thank Post
    Not quite sure how the whole process works but having well selected Meta Tags setup really helps, I belive the H1 & H2 tags get picked up fairly quickly too. Getting your site linked via other sites also has an effect, I'd try and get a link on edubase as that may result in your site getting crawled qucker.

James

3. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

HodgeHi (11th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not sure weather you would of done this but just incase, submit your site to google using this: Add your URL to Google

Also, Just make sure your Meta Tag's etc are correct

Will take a few days for this to filter through.

James.

5. Thanks to EduTech from:

HodgeHi (11th January 2010)

Thank Post
    That is the place where i added my URL.

I'm not too sure how the meta tags work thou to be honest. I added the site's name and location to the meta tags like this:

"eaton valley",cronehills,sandwell,"Eaton Valley Primary School"

Would this be enough?

I see that adding each word individually would not hurt though?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    my header looks like this

Code:
      ... <HEAD>
          <TITLE>Welcome to My School</TITLE>
    	  <meta name="description" content="Welcome to My School Website" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah " />
    <meta name="author" content="My School" />
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" />
    Also, the google bots dont pick up newly added sites straight away, takes up to about a week.

But definately get it linked from another couple of sites. Maybe put it in your sig here too, or make a post with it in, as the more higher the ranked pages that link to it, the higher it will rank as well.

8. Thanks to RabbieBurns from:

HodgeHi (21st January 2010)

Thank Post
    Google also takes in to account the actual content of your pages (obviously).
    If the page is well written (semantic use of html) and your content good (pages don't repeat the same content too often etc), you'll do better.

In my experience, Google can take several weeks to re-crawl websites, even if you have a sitemap.xml and robots.txt to help it on it's way...!

10. Thanks to dayzd from:

Thank Post
    Sign up for Google webmaster tools - you need to add a meta tag or upload a html file to verify you own the domain. Then you can submit a sitemap (if you have one) and even see which searches you appear in and which sites link to yours.

I registered all my personal sites and find it quite useful.

12. Thanks to fiendishlyclever from:

Thank Post
    Meta tags are pretty much obsolete in terms of search engine rankings, they have a very low status in the page rank mechanism Google uses to decide on the order in which sites are listed. This is partly for two reasons - some sites were stuffing the keywords with irrelevant things to try and get a higher search engine position than the content justified, and because the crawler bots have improved and indexing the whole page is viable now.

(In fact if Google's thinks that you're trying to play the system by having meta tags which bear no relation to the content of the page you can end up getting removed from the index completely)

The things which are given highest priority are things like the h1 and h2 tags as has been said, and also the title tag. Alt elements on images are also quite important.

Another key factor is who links to your site, so if you have a number of sites linking to yours, you should get a higher ranking. The "importance" of those sites (based on similar factors) is also taken into consideration.

Having links from other relevant sites is also a good way to get listed in the first instance, because as their site is respidered, Google will follow the link to your site and discover your content and add it to the index.

A site which a friend and I launched a couple of weeks ago is already on Google and hasn't been submitted manually, just linked from a few blogs. It would be worth trying to get a link or two from your LEA site in the first instance.

14. 3 Thanks to SteveBentley:

HodgeHi (21st January 2010), pwds (20th January 2010), speckytecky (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Best thing you can do to ensure Google has as little to whinge about as possible, and therefore more likelihood of rapid indexing is as per above... and... run everything thru the validators.

Install Firefox, install the WebDev toolbar addon. Get the website you want indexing up, and then under "Tools" on the webdev toolbar you can quick-click thru to the major code validators. Ensure you pass them all. This is good practice anyway, but the accessibility validators will tell you if you've missed any "alt" tags etc.

Other than that, all I've ever done is submit to Google as described in this thread... and we're very well indexed.

16. Thanks to Marci from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Hello,

Just a quick one really. Perhaps a silly question too.

I have been having a few complaints from parents that they can't find our website using google. I have looked at how to register the site with google and have gone through the addurl link. Now it says that i have to wait for their bot to crawl our site.

I did this Friday and upon searching our School's name (Eaton Valley Primary School) over the weekend it doesn't come up, at least not in the first few pages i've looked at anyway.

So have i forgotten something or does it take longer than this for their bot to get around to doing something?

TIA

In the past, I have registered sites using the 'free' submission engines out there, but a word of warning, use a throwaway email address because you will get spammed! These sites will reportedly submit your site to several engines in one go. Seems to have worked for me in the past.

The other method I have used, is the 'dmoz' route, see Submitting a Site to The Open Directory Project

Follow other advice in this thread paying attention to validation, correct use of meta tags (some engines do use them) and generally make sure your site has good keyword relevance.

As it is a school site, it is pretty unique by its very nature, i.e no other school exists in your area with the same name (hopefully) so it's not as if you are competing for placement.

18. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

Thank Post
    It does take time to get up the rankings but with the correct meta data it's usually up top in a couple of weeks.
    There are a few school names with 'St Mary' etc so that may be the problem.
    If you are getting complaints about google, perhaps put a suggestion leaflet out to parents to refine their search or make the site a favourite.

It is also worth getting a few external links and registering with your county system (information for parents) type website. I know Northants has the facility.

Good luck and best wishes

20. Thanks to apoth0r from:

Thank Post
    Some referring links help!

Thank Post
    Code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"></meta>
      <meta name="description" content="Eaton Valley Primary School" ></meta>
    	<meta name="keywords" content="eaton valley, cronehills, sandwell, Eaton Valley Primary School, Primary, School, first School, first" ></meta>
    i would use the code above for your meta tags,

Description is the description of your website which will show up in google under your website link.
    keywords are what people are most likely to search for i wouldnt use double quotes, a double quote in a search engine means that the statement that you have entered needs to exist in its entirety, so putting "Eaton Valley Primary School" in your meta tags would mean that your site would only show in google if the user typed, Eaton Valley Primary School, but if they typed, Eaton Valley, the website link would be hiden away somewhere on another google page.

other notes:

it can take upto a week for your website to reach first page, google uses many factors one of which is the amount of users clicking on your google link, if users can not find your page in google its not going to move up the pages very fast, however i believe the reason your page is missing is because of the incorrect meta tags.
    Last edited by Flakes; 20th January 2010 at 11:10 AM.

23. 2 Thanks to Flakes:

HodgeHi (21st January 2010), speckytecky (20th January 2010)

sjl
    Thank Post
    We had a similar issue where our site was wildly varying in the Google rankings. No Errors in the webmaster tools etc. Basically a nightmare with no where to turn!

We got our ranking at the top by submitting a Google maps entry and verifying our entry by getting them to send the post card etc.

Now when you search you get our result at the top with a nice map etc.

Not saying it will definitely work for you – just did for us.

25. Thanks to sjl from:

Thank Post

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Lots to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    Code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"></meta>
      <meta name="description" content="Eaton Valley Primary School" ></meta>
    	<meta name="keywords" content="eaton valley, cronehills, sandwell, Eaton Valley Primary School, Primary, School, first School, first" ></meta>
    i would use the code above for your meta tags,

Description is the description of your website which will show up in google under your website link.
    keywords are what people are most likely to search for i wouldnt use double quotes, a double quote in a search engine means that the statement that you have entered needs to exist in its entirety, so putting "Eaton Valley Primary School" in your meta tags would mean that your site would only show in google if the user typed, Eaton Valley Primary School, but if they typed, Eaton Valley, the website link would be hiden away somewhere on another google page.

other notes:

it can take upto a week for your website to reach first page, google uses many factors one of which is the amount of users clicking on your google link, if users can not find your page in google its not going to move up the pages very fast, however i believe the reason your page is missing is because of the incorrect meta tags.
    @Flakes

Where would i place the code that you provided? Would it all go into the meta tags section in the joomla backend? Since my site runs on the Joomla Edugeek template (also thanks) I'm not entirely sure as to how to go about some of the things mentioned.

Such as validation. It looks like there is an issue with scriptegrators highslide plugin for it's webgallery. But how would i resolve this as it's a module/plugin?

PS. How would i make my url in my sig clickable? I assume it needs to be to be followed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast