+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Web Development Thread, Web Development Basics in Coding and Web Development; I would like to persue a career in Web Develpment. I have built a couple of basic web sites in ...

Thank Post

Web Development Basics

I would like to persue a career in Web Develpment. I have built a couple of basic web sites in the last couple of years for friends, using Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Flash and Fireworks, but now I would like to get a bit more serious.

I have looked at various vacancies for Web Developers, and many of them ask for experience in ASP .net C# and VB, Classic. ASP, VB6, XHTML, XML, Java Script, IIS, and others.

Obviously I need to learn some of this stuff, but it is going to take a while.

Basically, what I want to know is where should I start? Does anyone know what I should learn first to give me a good foundation and maybe get me some kind of employment?

Thanks, Mike.

Thank Post
    Looking at your list, XHTML/Javascript would be pretty straight forward to pick up if you have knowledge of using Dreamweaver (dig into the code view in Dreamweaver).

IIS is a webserver that runs on Windows so server knowledge there, install it on your PC.

VB6 is a bit old now, most people have moved onto .NET but you can find books that come with a copy on ebay for a few quid.

C#/ASP.net/VB.net etc you can pick up "Visual Studio Express 2008" for free from Microsoft to have a play.

I'd look at the html/xhtml stuff first with the content on the w3schools site here.

Good luck, and have fun

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply!
    I have viewed similar threads and one listed the following:
    web images - fireworks
    js/html/css - dreamweaver
    asp.net - visual studio or visual web developer express
    php - eclipse

Would I be right in saying that Eclipse is used instead of mySql, or am I way off the mark. I downloaded mySql, but the method of inputting the information to create databases etc seems a bit antiquated, like going back to DOS!

Thanks for your time.

Thank Post
    Hey,

No worries for the reply, my pleasure.

Yeah, you're about right there, some of it is what floats your boat though, Photoshop may be more 'your thing' over Fireworks etc. Dreamweaver is fine but a lot of developers will drop into a simpler editor to avoid some of the helpful rubbish Dreamweaver (and other GUI development tools) puts in the code.

My experience with Eclipse was as a developing environment as here. MySQL will store the information, you tend to use the PHP to populate/retrieve infromation from it.

I tend to look at a task I'd like to complete and then work on that idea, a simple web based calendar or contact system or a web form which stores 'signups' into a database etc.

It's a bit of a big leap to take in at once, dabble and see what fits you.

I have the creative mind of a snail so I don't look at design, more logical and procedural

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The reason you think MySQL looks like DOS is because I'd guess you're using "raw" SQL commands ("insert into" "select username, surname" etc type things)

This is kind of why you have web sites - they give you the GUI, the PHP (or ASP, ASP.Net etc) then generates the relevant SQL commands and executes them.

Given the list of technologies that you've seen requested, I'd probably start with Visual Studio Express - it's free and the download includes SQL Express. Working with databases in this is very, very easy - in some ways, it's too easy because you're sheltered from the need to learn T-SQL but that can always come later :-)

As Kim says, if you can think of a project that you'd like to build, that's always the best way of getting started (looking at tutorials gets pretty boring after a while :-))

Thank Post
    Thanks for your replies!

After downloading MySQL, I started using the W3Schools Online Web Tutorials tutorial on PHP MySQL and I can't even get past the first chapter..........

I tried the following to connect to MySQL:

<?php
    $con = mysql_connect("localhost:3306","Mike","m*******");
    if (!$con)
    {
    die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
    }

// some code
    ?>

Mike being my computer name, mypassword is m******* as used on MySQL.

I get the following message:

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/fhlinux160/m/maximumrnb.com/user/htdocs/test.php on line 5
    Could not connect: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

What am I doing wrong?

Thank Post
    try "root" for username and password

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike008 View Post
    Would I be right in saying that Eclipse is used instead of mySql, or am I way off the mark. I downloaded mySql, but the method of inputting the information to create databases etc seems a bit antiquated, like going back to DOS!
    MySQL is used in alot of places but is almost always the backend, php (or another frontend code) makes the experiance nice for the user...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    try "root" for username and password
    No, that didn't work.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/fhlinux160/m/maximumrnb.com/user/htdocs/test.php on line 5
    Could not connect: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
    Means that either there isn't a MySQL server running at the hostname you entered or its an incorrect hostname.

Try knocking off the 3306 (standard port anyway), and instead of using your credentials for your computer, use the ones you have for your webhost "maximumrnb.com" ?

Or are you not running your webserver and MySQL on the same box?

Thank Post
    Hi,

So you are saying I can't use the MySQL thats on my home PC with the PHP on the hosting company that I use with my website, [url=http://www.maximumrnb.com?]

Thank Post
    You can but you'd need to open port 3306 on your home router/firewall/whatever to allow php to connect into this.

That said though fella, if you have hosting already chances are it comes with a MySQL database anyway so you can develop on the webhosting solution and use their MySQL.

13. Thanks to kmount from:

mike008 (8th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Now you're giving a bit more necessary info :-)

Your connection string of "localhost" made me think you had MySQL and the webserver running on the same machine. When you're experimenting, this is by far the easiest way to do things - you then don't have to consider what other people might have done on their server etc.

If you want MySQL on your own machine but the web site hosted on another then, as Kim says, you'll need to open port 3306 on your router (possibly a bad security idea!) and the connection string will need a fully qualified name (mypc.somedomain.com)

Getting it all set up in the first place can be a bit fiddly; one of the easiest ways to do it is to get a pre-built virtual machine - a quick google finds this Virtual Appliances -> Products which has images that will run on VMWare or Virtual PC/Server (all free) and I'm sure there are others.

Using the VM has a few advantages - it will work immediately; it doesn't involve any risk to your own machine and when (not if!) you mess things up on the server, you just delete the VM and put in a new copy.

Good luck!

15. Thanks to srochford from:

mike008 (8th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks Steve, and Kim, it's all beginning to make sense...........(I think.......)

Mike.

Thank Post
    Ubuntu Server is a good choice for beginning LAMP, you can install it on Ubuntu Desktop as well if that is easier.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lamp-server
    The default security settings for mysql will prevent connections from anything other than localhost.

phpmyadmin provides a more userfriendly way to interact with MySQL

Code:
    sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin
    Otherwise there is WAMP

Install PHP 5 Apache MySQL on Windows : WampServer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast