+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Web Development Thread, VPS/Shared in Coding and Web Development; ...
    Thank Post

VPS/Shared

I started my own VB forum as one of my many, I wonder if I can do this... projects.

Anyway long story short I need a decent host with decent support that has RTMP enabled (for FlashChat6).

Also needs around 5gb+ of space, 100gb+ of Bandwidth and cPanel (love cPanel), looking for one @ around £25-30 per month.

Anyone know of such a host? preferably in the UK (to limit the 'hops')

Also my current host says I can get RTMP if I get a VPS, but my *nix knowledge is most likely subpar (I'm happy copying shell code that someone else has written in a tutorial). Any recommendations for this?

I found a decent how to install here - http://www.videochat-scripts.com/tag/rtmp/ and it seems easy enough...
    Last edited by mossj; 30th December 2009 at 09:56 PM.

Thank Post
    I know one of £75 a year if any good? unlimited bandwidth & 4.5gb

Evohosting

If you pay for two year at the moment you get 6 months free and double disk space so that what be in total £135
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 30th December 2009 at 08:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davep000 View Post
    I know one of £75 a year if any good? unlimited bandwidth & 4.5gb

Evohosting
    I try to avoid any hosts with the word 'unlimited' in their specs. As they tend to be henging there bets that you won't go over what they can provide
    Last edited by mossj; 30th December 2009 at 09:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Slicehost - VPS Hosting

These seem to come recommended by many 'web type' people.

No cPanel though. I think they use an open source one. You could of course purchase cPanel licence and install it.
    http://articles.slicehost.com/2007/1...ice-management

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Could always ask Carl @ CS New Media if they can supply what you need, he's an excellent host and I've never had any problems with him.

6. 2 Thanks to john:

CSNM-Carl (31st December 2009), mossj (31st December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Could always ask Carl @ CS New Media if they can supply what you need, he's an excellent host and I've never had any problems with him.
    Thanks I may actually do this, especially as he appears to have reqorked what the packages offer

My current host (xilo.net) has been very shoddy on the support front SO far they have managed to:
    • Bill me for a addon to something I cancelled months ago
    • Lock me out of my own account area (not fixed in over a month now)
    • Close several tickets without completing them
    • and they won't say if JDK will run on their servers, nor will they give me refund if I give it a go and it doesn't

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    Thanks I may actually do this, especially as he appears to have reqorked what the packages offer

My current host (xilo.net) has been very shoddy on the support front SO far they have managed to:
    • Bill me for a addon to something I cancelled months ago
    • Lock me out of my own account area (not fixed in over a month now)
    • Close several tickets without completing them
    • and they won't say if JDK will run on their servers, nor will they give me refund if I give it a go and it doesn't
    Wow, don't think i've ever come across anyone that's closed tickets without completing them!
    As for locking you out of your own account area, do you mean billing? if so, you'd have thought they wanted paying!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Messa View Post
    Wow, don't think i've ever come across anyone that's closed tickets without completing them!
    As for locking you out of your own account area, do you mean billing? if so, you'd have thought they wanted paying!!!
    Yup billing and that was my thought.... but they seemed reputable up until late 2009, when there support just went downhill....

Thank Post
    Well once again csnewmedia proved themselves to be the elite...

Got a PM back before lunch today, they will manage the installation for me on a VPS, they also advised me on what spec I should go for.

Not got cPanel, but plesk from past experience is just as quick (the reason for wanting cPanel)...

11. Thanks to mossj from:

CSNM-Carl (31st December 2009)

Thank Post
    They really do know their stuff there, and you can count on the rest of us if you need linux helps

13. 2 Thanks to kmount:

CSNM-Carl (31st December 2009), mossj (31st December 2009)

Thank Post
    UK VPS Hosting Linux VPS Web Hosting Virtuozzo Containers cPanel VPS are very good and support is usally replied within the hour during Monday-Friday.

But cpanel is an extra

Thank Post
    mossj,

I've come across this thread in Google. I've had a look and have worked out what account this is for but want to clear up some of what you have posted.

You raised a ticket with us asking why the add-on was not cancelled. We advised you that you had not actually request for it to be cancelled, only the reseller account. As you have other services with us, we do not just assume you want a software licence cancelled as you might be using it on another package. If we were to assume you no longer wanted it, it could have caused disruption to your business.

Sorry to hear you're having problems getting in to your account - that normally only happens after a set amount of incorrect logins in a short space of time and I can see this is indeed the case on your account. I'd like to discuss this with you and walk through getting this reset so that you can login.

Regarding your tickets. There is not a single ticket on your account (of which there are 7) that have no reply and have been closed. All tickets are replied to and logged (and viewable) via our customer portal.

Regarding JDK (ticket 54421), of which I actually dealt with towards the end. You asked if software for Flashchat would work on our shared/reseller servers of which we advised no due to the ports it required open. Tom replied within 2 minutes saying that it was not possible and that you would need to look at your own server.

A further update from yourself asked about the management and operation of a VPS which was replied 7 minutes after your question by Tom again.

You then asked if the server would be a similar setup the our shared/reseller servers when cPanel is taken and if you would then install your own software. Which I replied yes, they would be and you could then install whatever software you required.

A further question asked that you had found a walk through and you would give it a shot tomorrow but if your software did not work, could you get a refund. I then replied with the exact text: "We can't refund a VPS once provisioned, so you would have to just cancel as normal. As the product you want to use is JDK (java) based, make sure you get a VPS with enough RAM as JDK is a memory hog."

Just to clarify, we never said that JDK would not run. I did give a tip that JDK can be very memory hungry so ensuring you choose a VPS with suitable memory would get you off on the best foot.

Matt
    Last edited by XN-Matt; 31st December 2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Spoke with mossj via phone.

Thank Post
    Many thanks for the phone call matt,

Tickets closing..
    Apparently my replies have been going somewhere but not to them (proberly a intermittent issue with my phone)...

But couldn't login to check that you were getting them... Never got a reply detailing my account was locked out...

Maybe consider adding a new state "waiting on customer" rather than moving tickets to closed, as the helpdesk I am a part of, considers this to mean "resolved/completed/actioned".

JDK
    I wasn't looking for confirmation of the userfacing software, just one that if JDK would install and run (or that you have customers running it) and details of what exactly I'm responsible for on a VPS when compared to shared hosting.

Anyway many thanks for the informative phonecall.
    Last edited by mossj; 31st December 2009 at 05:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi,

We do have a status similar.. "Replied" that will keep tickets open for a further 48 hours before sending to a 'prompter' message to ask if the issue is resolved, and that if we don't hear anything further, the ticket would be closed. We do then send a final message informing the ticket is closed.

However, tickets can be re-open at any time via the portal and hopefully you should be able to login with the new details as we discussed.

Have a good New Year!

Matt

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Must admit would go with Carl if it wasn't for the fact current host I am on I get unlimited bandwidth (10Mbps connection).

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast