+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Web Development Thread, How much to charge in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by apoth0r I'm sorry but I don't believe that is the case, the threshold is a total amount ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't believe that is the case, the threshold is a total amount you are 'allowed' before tax, if he is working full time his tax will be calculated to use up that amount thus any additional income would fall outside of this threshold and would need to declare it.
    Be careful you don't get yourselves into trouble!
    Not according to my accountant friend as they would count as 2 separate lots of books. Anyway does it matter? Im sure they have much bigger fish to fry.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apoth0r View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't believe that is the case, the threshold is a total amount you are 'allowed' before tax, if he is working full time his tax will be calculated to use up that amount thus any additional income would fall outside of this threshold and would need to declare it.
    Be careful you don't get yourselves into trouble!
    Damn, this is what I thought. You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly FN-GM Otherwise you could do loads of seperate unlrelated jobs all earning under the threshhold, and not be taxed, correct?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another way round can be that the money is a gift. They cant Tax you on that if it is under 5,000 at a time

Thank Post
    You will ned to complete a Tax return. If you have any income that is not taxed at source, like rents or freelance earnings, you need to complete a tax return. It cant be paid to you as a 'GIFT' as suggested by someone in previous post as you are supplying a service. All earned income must be declared. Additionally all items purchased for the provision of the service you are supplying can be offset against the income to reduce the Tax liability. (i.e. software, computer, travel expenses etc) -keep good and accurate records!

To be a sole trader, a partner, or a member of a limited liability partnership as an individual rather than a company, you must be self-employed - and registered as such with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). This does not mean that you can't also do other work as an employee, but the work you do for your own business must be done on a self-employed basis.

Thank Post
    Thank you all for your comments. Based upon that I have rejected the job. Too much faff for me just to do it for one school as a side line.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Thank Post
    FN-GM, that would be the case if you were registered as a UK limited company, but unfortunately not for self-employed purposes.
    You are accountable for all money going in and out of your bank account and so the tax lands on you.
    I wouldn't even attempt to cheat the system just because it wouldn't be worth it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12