+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Joomla and StudyWiz on one Server in Coding and Web Development; Hello, I didn't know where to start this thread and if you read it you will understand why. I have ...

Thank Post

Joomla and StudyWiz on one Server

Hello,

I didn't know where to start this thread and if you read it you will understand why.

I have an Xserve which currently serves our School Website (Welcome to Eaton Valley Primary School) running over our Joomla install.

Now we were going to use this for our StudyWiz VLE installation as well. We have been told that this should be fine. I received an email today saying that they need a dedicated Server to run the StudyWiz on. They configure and run a customised Apache install on the Xserve.

They have asked the following:
    Hi Mark,

Apologies for the delayed response!

Unfortunately I believe we will have a problem with the server setup you have detailed below. Studywiz requires its own server for installation that does not share resources with any other applications. We need to configure Studywiz to guarantee a level of service and we are unable to achieve this on a server running other applications. Furthermore the Studywiz is quite a thorough one and we may install services or make changes that impact on your existing applications.

If it won't be possible to provide a dedicated server for hosting Studywiz we may need to look at hosting your deployment for you. As far as I know its not possible to run two different Web Services on the same machine even if they have separate IP addresses as the port (80) will be in use by two different Web Services.

Please let us know your thoughts on how best to proceed from here
    So my question is, are they correct? Would there be a problem running 2 sites side by side on the same port number? I'm not too sure of this one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    So my question is, are they correct? Would there be a problem running 2 sites side by side on the same port number? I'm not too sure of this one.
    no there is no problem doing this, i do at home and apache merely uses a different doc root depending what address is used.

Do you have complete control of the server? can you configure apache yourself?

it probabbly wont work if you put it in http://www.your.site.com/vle but if you create the sub domain http://vle.your.site.com and point its doc root somewhere else i cant see any problems. You will of course need another mysql database as its not reccomended to run 2 apps off 1.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately i won't have any control or say over the Apache install/configuration.

The XServe has it's own Apache install and so the StudyWiz will be a 2nd install of apache. Quite how this will work I'm not sure of either. But, we will indeed have a 2nd domain name for the VLE and was going to use a 2nd IP for the SSL since Apache warns about virtual SSL domains.

So we will have vle.eatonvalley.sandwell.sch.uk pointing to the 2nd IP address which will point to the 2nd Apache install on port 80. I can't see any real problems ???

Thank Post
    you cant run 2 apaches on one server, its 1 apache with 2 virtual hosts.

I have 1 apache server that defines all the server config and then it responds to requests differently depending what address was used to contact the server

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Yes and no. You can run as many virtual sites as you like on port 80; however they're right to say they can't guarantee a minimum level of service if you start splitting it up. They install their own instance of Apache2 in any case.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread