+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Getting around a proxy via a shared hosted php website in Coding and Web Development; Hi, does anyone know of a php script that lets you type in a URL, and then fetches the URL ...
    Thank Post

Getting around a proxy via a shared hosted php website

Hi, does anyone know of a php script that lets you type in a URL, and then fetches the URL from the shared host itself?

If I'm correct, when you access a webpage normally through IE, say, it goes through the set proxy and so things like Google images are ruled out.

But what if you have a website/php script on a shared host, outside of any academic/county server, that goes and fetches pages for you and displays the result? So instead of going to Google images via IE and it's proxy settings, you get to google images by getting the shared host to fetch the site, then display it in the browser? I guess it's a sort of tunnel?

Even if it works, there might be issues on clicking on 'next' in Google images, as that may use the proxy settings as it is direct access.

Or is this just ridiculous?

Thank Post
    I'm sure it's just how late it is, but I haven't a clue :P

It sounds, in my magical world, you're asking for a bypass site of some description...

Bypass That Anonymous Proxy to Unblock Websites

maybe?

Thank Post
    I know it's confusing me too

Definitely a bypass idea. Basically instead of going to IE and typing in images.google.com (which is blocked), you go to www.mysite.com. Then there is a html form that asks you what to search google images for. The php script would take the query, get the contents of "http://images.google.com?q=MyQuery" and display it in the resultant webpage.

So at www.mysite.com, you get to search google images, because it's actually being done at mysite.com, not directly from a school computer where it would block google images.

Make any more sense?!

Thank Post
    That's exactly what all the anonymous proxy sites do that most of us spend all day trying to block...

Thank Post
    There are plenty of pre-built scripts that will do this for you, but you'll have to look for them yourself, sorry. Generally they work exactly as you describe (it's pretty trivial rewriting of URLs on the fly, that's all).

Thank Post
    I know, but it's for teacher use only and will be behind a teacher login. County don't give us granular access/config.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Thank Post
    I see - so you aren't using google images as an example? You *only* want to use it for GIS?

Hm. Still better off butchering cgiproxy or one of the others and limiting the sites accessed there.

OTOH, this scheme seems like a heath-robinson fix to what looks like a county problem

Thank Post
    Yep, pretty much spot on! Although youtube would be nice as well. We have no control over the proxy, although there is talk of that changing (but there has been for a while).

Tried cgiproxy, but get "The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address." in Google Chrome. Any ideas? This is different to a 'not found' error. It knows the cgi script is there, but won't load it. Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    When you say "tried" - describe how you tried Eg. was it a sgiprox you are hosting, or one someone else is hosting?

Would it not be simpler to order a cheapy adsl line and route yt/gis requests down there? Who's "county" - maybe others have had experience of getting what they want?

Tom

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread