+ Post New Thread
Web Development Thread, Joomla V phpBB in Coding and Web Development; I'm in the middle of sorting a school website out and I want to use Joomla as it's the easiest ...
    Thank Post

Smile Joomla V phpBB

I'm in the middle of sorting a school website out and I want to use Joomla as it's the easiest way staff / myself will be able to update information, as in the past HTML became an issue.

I want to create a Parents Area where a selected number of parents have access to a forum - they'd be given account details to login in to Joomla but all the Joomla Extensions are rubbish, so I thought of using phpBB for a Forum "like the Joomla Forums section" but id need to bridge user accounts from Joomla to phpBB is there patches for this? does anyone know anything or is this possible?

Also Joomla gives Super Administrators, Registered Users, Publishers etc. is there a way which makes it possible to make my own, ie: Staff / Student / Parents so i can limit information for them different categories?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Not really done this before but google reckons you can..

Linky Mehdi's Miscellaneous Stuff

Thank Post
    Cheers, I'll have a go!

Thank Post
    Jfusion is a Joomla bridge for PHPBB3, SMF, VB, Magento and a few others. The idea is you use one as a "master" and one as a "slave" the master handles the registration, emailing, profile info and login, when the user logs in they are also logged into the slave software ie PHPBB3.

I use it on a personal site which uses Jomsocial, but I do this because Jomsocial lets them have a profile/pm's etc facebook style and when they register they are registered to the forum automatically and then when they login they are logged into both the forum and the website.

If you're just having a few parents logging onto a forum is there much need to bridge? It's a pain in the backside if it goes wrong and you face losing all your users.

FireBoard is a a J! intergrated forum if its only for a small amount of users it might suffice but it sounds like you're planning on giving all the students site access aswell so it might not be any good for you.

As for ACL's there's a few extensions for this, K2 is quite good for content management on user levels but I've not used it in anger, and I haven't used any of the ACL's in anger either. I'd be interested to know how that goes.

Joomla 1.6 is out soon according to J! and this is going to more advanced ACL in.

Thank Post
    You can not beat JFusion for forum integration into Joomla. JFusion has an unlimited amount of features, many different forum softwares are supported, very easy install, excellent performance, AJAX usersync, user conflict resolution, supports converted boards, etc. Check out the details in my signature and watch our installation video tutorial to see how easy it is.

JFusion has 12 different programmer contribute to the code and has an extremely active development team. Joomla search integration, discussion bot and much are coming in the next 1.1.2 release of JFusion.

Thanks

---------------------------

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread